When does it stop being “camping” ?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: When does it stop being “camping” ?

Postby bdosborn » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:19 pm

What about pizza? Does it stop being camping when you have pizza?

The Bloody Marys have got to count against it being camping too. Whoops, no ice or celery in those Bloody Mary's. Yup, that's camping!

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:30 pm

In seven little words: "Don't ever leave the RV" ...do not (2) ever leave the (3) Recreational Vehicle (2 words)...no boots on the ground> drive up, "camp", leave the area...why mix with nature if at all avoidable...and so on
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Eyedropper » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:38 pm

In my younger days, if you couldn't carry it yourself on your back, it wasn't camping. Then it became about sleeping on the ground. These days, if there is a "flush-able" within regular and easy access...it ain't camping...
Eyedropper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:52 pm

I'm +1 on camping being spending time out of doors. The camper is for hauling gear and sleeping off of the ground; perhaps getting out of the weather if need be (similar to a tent except you won't get wet in it, and it is a little easier to get in and out of bed).

Pizza is an easy meal (even if you make your own dough using Bisquick!!!) and I see no reason not to include it on a camp menu!

Bloody Mary's? If that is your choice of adult beverage, shame on you for forgetting the celery!!!

Stumps for cocktail tables (sometimes chairs) and the center hub of camp is the fire pit, just like how family tends to gather in the kitchen.

I'm a foodie and see no reason why, with a little planning, you shouldn't be able to eat as good, if not better than at home. Hell, when on vacation camping the only thing that must be done is collecting campfire wood and preparing meals, so there is all day to do it.

One of those fateful trips to Poet Creek I helped my mom dig a pit in the river bank, line the pit with stones, and build a fire in it. When the coals were ready we buried a 20 lb turkey (wrapped in layers of foil and damp paper towels) in that pit and several hours later we had the most succulent moist turkey dinner that you could imagine; complete with cornbread dressing, cranberry sauce, etc.

This was out, out, out in the wilderness car/tent camping. Mom's pantry was the trunk of her 4dr 1972 Plymouth Satellite.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:37 pm

bdosborn wrote:What about pizza? Does it stop being camping when you have pizza?

The Bloody Marys have got to count against it being camping too. Whoops, no ice or celery in those Bloody Mary's. Yup, that's camping!

Bruce

NOPE. Just because you're in the great outdoors does not mean you cannot enjoy great food. Fire Grilled Pizzas are AWESOME. I prefer mine traditional (pepperoni, italian sausage, mushrooms, onions, mozzarella cheese) but I do make an awesome thai chicken pizza too. There is no rule that says camping means subpar food. Even when you backpack, you can do amazing things with dried ingredients
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:26 am

Pizza when camping, I do love seeing what everyone cooks. I usually just do sandwiches or something I picked up at the deli and can eat cold, less clean up and more time walking or finding a quiet spot to relax.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby kudzu » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:38 am

PKCSPT wrote:PI usually just do sandwiches or something I picked up at the deli and can eat cold, less clean up and more time walking or finding a quiet spot to relax.

+1 :thumbsup:
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:01 am

My first camping experience for decades was CRA. I was in a tent. Convinced me I will finish BUB. Since my goal is to attend music festivals and camping with friends, I have a real bed; microwave, coffee maker and AC. I live in a humid, hot area. Summer camping would be miserable sleeping w/o an AC. I also have a porta potty for middle of the night use. Camping is getting outdoors for me. Music Festivals are another bird entirely. Both don't include living in the camper. Music is good. Comforts are defined by each person. Even among family members there are disagreements as to what constitutes camping. But boy don't we all have fun in our own way. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:43 am

kudzu wrote:
PKCSPT wrote:PI usually just do sandwiches or something I picked up at the deli and can eat cold, less clean up and more time walking or finding a quiet spot to relax.

+1 :thumbsup:

It sounds like you guys have never been to a gathering. That's where the really good eats are at.

They all look pretty happy even though there's more clean up.

Your first gathering will change your attitude towards eating outdoors. You can't help but run out and buy a DO.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:02 am

That crowd looks like they’re ready to do some SERIOUS eating :o ... Looks like they have lots of experience at that too ... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The secret to a perfect Bloody Mary .... cardamom ... (now don’t go telling everybody huh ... it’s our secret !!! ) :shhh:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby kudzu » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:35 pm

So what do you do at gatherings besides eat & ... um, sit around? Not being critical. Just can't quite imagine going to one specifically to be with a bunch of other campers. (Can you tell I wasn't a sleep away camp kinda gal?) These are held maybe in beautiful places & everyone perhaps goes to do outdoorsy things during the day? Maybe the problem is that I've never camped for the sake of camping. For me camping was a way to afford going & doing the things I wanted to do. I never minded tent camping but if money had allowed I'll admit I'd have preferred a cabin to sleep in... thus the camper building.

So back to the question... What do you do at gatherings?
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Honestly , we’ve never been to a trailer gathering ... :o Funny you should mention that ... The wife was suggesting we host a Foamie’ trailer gathering here (during a Nicer time of the year)... :roll:

Seems there different levels of “camping” ... something for Everybody !!!! :thumbsup: 8) 8) 8) :applause:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:21 pm

After 30+ years in education my wife and I were finally able to see the leaves change in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. We did it in a 3 man nylon backpacking tent and were very comfortable. The problem was that even though it did not rain our tent was never dry before 10;30 AM. We only moved a 100 miles or so a day but half the day was gone because of the dew. I told my wife that if we were going to enjoy retirement we needed to do something different. Enter the teardrop.

Our teardrop does not have more interior room then our backpacking tent. The real advantage is the ability to be on the road 15 minutes after waking up no matter what the weather. When at a gathering we bring way to much stuff but when traveling we tend to be minimalist.

I personally believe that you are camping if you have to GET OUT of your vehicle. If your out fit provides you with ALL the conveniences of home you are not camping.

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:29 pm

QUOTE: “ I personally believe that you are camping if you have to GET OUT of your vehicle. If your out fit provides you with ALL the conveniences of home you are not camping. “

Well spoken Gary , I feel the same way ... :thumbsup: 8) :applause:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gary and Cheri » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:33 pm

GPW,

I feel that my teardrop is merely trading a soft sided tent for a hard sided tent with benefits.

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies