Door Hinges in Foam?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Door Hinges in Foam?

Postby Stealth TDI » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Hello,

I could've sworn I saw a photo of how someone put their hinges into the foam. It may have been in the mega-thread. But it's SO VAST there's no way to really search it efficiently. It seems like a decent topic to have on its own using a subject that can be easily searched.

So how do you do it? I'm considering a foam project this winter and would like to visualize the entire effort before beginning. :)

Thanks,

Scott
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby millstone » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Hello and welcome!

I framed my doors with 1 x lumber and will attach the hinges to it.

They're may ne a better method though. A lot of brain power round here.

Mark
millstone
Silver Donating Member

Postby Stealth TDI » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:47 pm

Yes! Lots of smart folks here. I have a vague recollection of reading about piano hinges on foamies, too. I've read so much in the past three days I cannot remember where I found anything. :lol: I bookmarked Luella's build, though. I think hers was the first I saw that detailed almost everything from start to finish with questions along the way. :thumbsup:
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Door Hinges in Foam?

Postby starleen2 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:30 pm

Stealth TDI wrote:. . . . It may have been in the mega-thread. But it's SO VAST there's no way to really search it efficiently. It seems like a decent topic to have on its own using a subject that can be easily searched.

It's unfortunate that the thread has grown so lengthy. It does have some good info in it - but it's buried so deeply. Lately it has become more of a chat thread. There have been only a FEW foamies actually built so it is wide open as to how to mount hinges. The consensus is that there needs either to be a wooden frame embedded in the foam (see mikes 10' foamie http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 91&start=0 ) or attach hard points to the foam to attach the hinges to.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Stealth TDI » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:41 am

Yes! I recall reading that one, too! I've bookmarked it for later. Thanks a ton!
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:01 am

Stealth , wood works great ... a simple door frame allows you to hinge and attach everything ... 1X , 2X s work great as long as the wood is actually 2â€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:22 pm

If 2x lumber works for you, just "inset" the wood into the foam. You just need to make sure you get good bite for the screws
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:28 am

I am thinking about framing the door way and door with 3/4 inch pine/fir/what ever and using 1/2 dowels into the foam. After G Gluing it of course, The dowels just for a back up and piece of mind.

Just trying to figure out an easy way to make a curved top door. I do not relish the idea of steam bending at least 4 fair sized hunks of pine into submission. but I guess 2 inch width might not be to bad. Just soak them in the tub for a couple of weeks while I go with out showering. Might work

:lol:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:39 am

on my build i just added wood blocks where needed for the screws. i did not use the whole door frame.

i think my hinge for my hatch is an piano hinge? i don't know, i just bought it at lowes.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:26 am

Wolf , curved door top ... just Foam would work , no stress there eh ??? :thinking:

No rules for Foamies eh ? Just build it like you think it should be built , and if it breaks , fix it better ... Just foam and canvas ... Simple and Easy ... :thumbsup:

hint: reinforcing is a :Good Thingâ€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby angib » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:13 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:Just soak them in the tub for a couple of weeks while I go with out showering.

How does that work - does the increasing smell just make the wood give up its resistance and meekly take up the shape you want, just so that you will wash again?
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Stealth TDI » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Hello,

eaglesdare wrote:on my build i just added wood blocks where needed for the screws. i did not use the whole door frame.

I remember seeing a photo of that. I just couldn't recall where I saw it or who did it. ;)

[quote="GPW"]Stealth , wood works great ... a simple door frame allows you to hinge and attach everything ... 1X , 2X s work great as long as the wood is actually 2â€
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:49 pm

angib wrote:
Wolffarmer wrote:Just soak them in the tub for a couple of weeks while I go with out showering.

How does that work - does the increasing smell just make the wood give up its resistance and meekly take up the shape you want, just so that you will wash again?

:laughing1: :laughing1:

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Larry C » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:21 pm

[quote=

Just trying to figure out an easy way to make a curved top door. I do not relish the idea of steam bending at least 4 fair sized hunks of pine into submission. but I guess 2 inch width might not be to bad. Just soak them in the tub for a couple of weeks while I go with out showering. Might work

:lol:

Randy[/quote]

Randy,
Just use 1/8" strips glued together around the curve.

Larry C
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:28 pm

That could work. guess I was fixated on steam bending. Not like I haven't laminated a curve before. I want wood to frame my door so I can put something to it for the gasket to seat on. if you know what I mean

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies