Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby starleen2 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:07 am

mikeschn wrote:
starleen2 wrote:
mikeschn wrote:
starleen2 wrote:Mike - what's the width - I have traversed the bed before and got away with a 48" wide bed that will sleep two adults very comfortably with no crowding. It might give you a little more floor space. I'm 6'00" and the green lantern is 76" wide - I still have a few inched left at the end of the bed - so it could be a bit narrower depending on your height (while laying down)

Scott,

I was thinking about making the inside width about 72". That would make the outside width about 76". What's the inside height on your Green Lantern?

Mike...

inside height is 5" 1 1/2"

That's perfect for a slouchie. Our Baja Benroy was almost the same.

Mike...

or a standie - if your spouse is 5'00" 8)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby GPW » Sun May 01, 2011 11:37 am

Just my most humble opinion ... after having/owning /using a 20' TT Standy , I can't really see a reason for one .. Not to camp in anyway ... The Slouchie' works fine and you can sit in a standard chair inside , even @5'... The extra height only relates to extra weight and drag on the highway ... And I actually like the more Cozy feeling of the lower ceiling ... The TD width seems to be the real Comfort factor ...
I really LIKE that Green Lantern shape ... That would make a Great Foamie .... easy too... :thumbsup: :thinking:

All in what you like /need really !!! :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 01, 2011 1:05 pm

Anybody seen Eagle ??? Think she got Lost :o (naa, she'd have asked for directions :roll: )
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 01, 2011 1:15 pm

GPW wrote:Anybody seen Eagle ??? Think she got Lost :o (naa, she'd have asked for directions :roll: )

I AM HERE, I WAS ATTEMPTING TO GET SOME PHOTOS FOR YOU. BUT AS IT STANDS WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT TIL THE NEW ONE GETS HERE TOMORROW.

WE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME. I DID NOT GET LOST AND YES IF I HAD I WOULD HAVE ASKED FOR DIRECTIONS :lol:

I DID USE THE HEATER LAST NIGHT, BUT NOT FOR LONG. SLEPT PRETTY GOOD. WE DRANK SOME WINE AND I HAD A SLIGHT HEACHACHE THIS MORNING.

I DID NOT LOAD THE FRONT OF THE TEAR THIS TIME ON THE WAY THERE. I COULD TELL. SO I LOADED IT IN THE FRONT ON THE WAY BACK, MUCH MUCH BETTER. SO THIS LEADS TO THINK I NEED A TONGUE BOX FOR A BIT MORE WIEGHT IN THE FRONT.

I EVEN BACKED THE FOAMIE INTO OUR SPOT, WHICH WAS INBETWEEN 2 TREES. TOOK A WHILE AND LOTS OF VERBAL DIRECTIONS FROM ONE OF THE GALS. BUT I DID IT.

AS SOON AS I CAN I WILL POST A FEW FOR YOU. YOU WERE THOUGHT OF AND WE TALKED ABOUT YOU WHILE THERE. RATKITTY WAS ONE OF THE LADIES THAT WENT. WE WERE GOING TO WRITE YOU A NOTE ON A BOARD, BUT WE HAD NOTHING TO WRITE WITH NOR ON. BUT WE THOUGHT OF YOU!
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 01, 2011 1:27 pm

IS WAS MY SPOT, SEE THE 2 TREES I HAD TO BACK INBETWEEN

THIS WAS THIS MORNING ON THE RIVER

Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 01, 2011 1:30 pm

OK I MANAGED TO GET 3 PICS FOR YOU. BUT I AM NOT GOING TO FIGHT THE PUTER ANYMORE. I WILL WAIT TIL TOMORROW WHEN THE NEW ONE GETS HERE.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun May 01, 2011 2:03 pm

Eagle

Looks like a beautiful camping spot. Making me jealous.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 01, 2011 2:34 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:Eagle

Looks like a beautiful camping spot. Making me jealous.

Randy

IT WAS. IT WAS SO PEACEFUL AND THE RIVER THIS MORNING WAS GORGEOUS.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 01, 2011 3:54 pm

EAGLE , GLAD YOU AND THE GIRLS HAD A GOOD TIME !!! :D Guessing the new computer will solve your problems ... 8)
The trailer sure looks Good with the car ... a perfect match ...A tongue box will only be good if you fill it up ... (more weight added to the unknown weight ... :roll: ) Just "front load" the trailer and everything will be fine ... Many times , whilst towing boats , we'd have to stop and move things forward (ice chests , gear , gas tanks ) to get the boat trailer to ride better ... those outboards on the back are HEAVY ... :o Balance is everything ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun May 01, 2011 5:22 pm

:applause: :applause: :thumbsup: Wow you got a great spot! Your Foamy is just fantastic!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Sun May 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Second attempt...

I got Chell to look at a CAD drawing, and even though she says she can't see the final product when she looks at a CAD drawing, she seemed to like the new profile.

So we cut it out of 2" foam today...

BTW, notice, we were able to cut two tails out of the same piece of 4x8 foam. So that means we can build both walls with a total of 4 pieces of foam.

Here's the final result....

Mike...

P.S. Oh btw, it's 11' long. That was the only way to build a teardrop that is 66" wide on the inside, and still be able to get a queen sized bed in there.
Last edited by mikeschn on Sun May 01, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:30 pm

pretty neat, Mike! Is the tape holding the pieces together until glue dries, or is it just taped for show? If glued, what did you use to glue the edges together?
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun May 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:pretty neat, Mike! Is the tape holding the pieces together until glue dries, or is it just taped for show? If glued, what did you use to glue the edges together?

It's just taped together so I can show you guys...

My thoughts for gluing the edges together, is to find a flat floor. The floor of the carport sounds good for that. Then glue the edges with TB2. Put Duct tape on one side, flip it over, remove the duct tape and put the canvas on the other side. After it dries, flip it over again, and put canvas on that side.

But that's just my first thoughts... I've got to read this monster thread from beginning to end. :shock:

The most amazing thing about these two shapes, is that they are both 69" tall. The egg is 10' long and the standie is 11' long. But the standie looks so much bigger.

The standie...

The egg...

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Sun May 01, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:02 pm

I wonder how much foam is required to make a door-frame strong enough to support the roof structure...
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 01, 2011 6:18 pm

Mike , The TB2 won't dry on just the foam to foam join ... tried it ...stayed wet inside for weeks :o gorilla Glue is the ticket ... or epoxy ... Since the foam isn't porous , there's no place for the Water based solvent to evaporate ... Looks COOL !!! Glad the wife likes it !!! :thumbsup:

Cliff ... When in doubt about the door frame , some wood may help relieve your worries ... The skinned foam is actually quite strong by itself ... Just difficult to convince the non-believers... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies