Outer skins

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Outer skins

Postby Gizzmo » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:16 am

I was looking at the 15 oz Cotten duck canvas
84" wide 25 yards long. = 300 $
6 gallons tb2 = 84 $
14 sheets 2" foam. = 322 $
Hinges latches. Misc. =. 80 $
3 sheets 1/4 " 5 ply ply wood = 60
Primer and paint. = 100 $. Not sure did not price it out yet
Polyurethane and paint thinner 60 $ Unles I can find some at the recycle place
HF Trailer 250 $
Monroe gas shocks. 50 $
Things I forgot about. 200 $

Ballpark total 1446. $ That is for both a fish house and TD Not to shabby :roll: :thinking: :thumbsup:
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:06 am

Sounds reasonable to me !!! :thinking: ... and you may be able to save from that with a bit of scavenging and salvage ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gizzmo » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:00 am

Can't decide on floor ply wood or laminated foam :thinking:
Any advice?
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:07 am

We used the plywood twice ... OK, but on the FS used OSB flooring /sheathing , and I seem to like that better , although a bit heavier than ply or ply/foam... and it was inexpensive and got rained on a bit with no problems... Just another “alternative” :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:37 pm

I used OSB but I put a layer of 1/2" foam on top of it. Yes it is foam but then I put carpet on top of that. I am using carpet squares from the salvage store. Thrifty!!!! $1.00 per square. Then I will put a mattress on top of that. I painted the OsB with a sealer before I built the TD box of foam. I followed the foam stream Idea.

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Mary , I can certainly say we’ve had much less problems already with OSB than with the plywood we used before (twice) ... and was much Thriftier ... Painted , it even has a nice look , a good base for a rug or carpet squares ...Great Thrifty idea Mary !!! :thumbsup: 8) :applause:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:51 pm

For something really cool with OSB, varathane floor finish.

http://www.hometalk.com/946080/our-fini ... b-flooring
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:20 pm

That's cool.... Might have to use that somewhere in the future!!!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:23 pm

That is a neat cabin floor, I love it. if you use a lot of poly it can look pretty good ???

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Mary C wrote:That is a neat cabin floor, I love it. if you use a lot of poly it can look pretty good ???

More info on how they did it in this article. They did sand it smooth.

http://song-bird.hubpages.com/hub/rustic-flooring
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:08 am

QUOTE: “ The OSB will soak up the polyurethane pretty good” Now we know why the “mixture" soaked in so well ... and painted so easy ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gizzmo » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:48 am

GPW
That polyurethane paint thinner mixture, can one primer and paint over that?

Osb should work great I have a fish house made from it 10 years old now and no problems. It has been sub merged in water wet on a daily basis when in use and sits outside all year long with just paint on it for covering. :thumbsup:

If one would use a Good primer and a good paint lol - under the trailer where the only time it could get wet is if we are driving in the rain should be just fine :thumbsup:

Still interested in a sandwich floor for the fish house just to keep the weight down. Eagle did that in her last build right?
I would appreciate if any of you could direct me to a couple of build sites where they did a sandwich floor. :worship:
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:36 am

Mo’ ... sure , we do it all the time .. most of the poly sinks in , the mineral Spirits evaporates away ...Primer sticks fine , either the alcohol based primers , or the latex based .. Just make sure you give it time for the Min. Spts. to completely evaporate ... (the smell goes away) ;)

On the FS OSB floor , we didn’t use the mix , and just made sure to seal all the "ends “ with TB2... the top (inside floor) is just primed (gripper) and then painted (2 coats) ... the underside is coated with the black nasty stuff, and some spray can undercoating. Been through many rains now , nothing seems affected ...the floor shows no sign of water entry, swelling or deformation ... apparently , the OSB flooring has a short tube structure that prevents water from “running” , all the tube paths (wafers) are very short as compared to a veneer with long tubes which would allow water to run great distances in the wood ... likely the cause of why plywood delaminates... With the apparently higher glue content of OSB and the random pattern , all the short tube ends are internally sealed ...except for freshly cut “ends” that need “sealing” ... ;)

Re. wood is in actuality, many little tubes weakly glued together... that transport water and food to the leaves ... :o That says everything !!! :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gizzmo » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:31 am

I should not have to worry about the end grains as that will all be covered with tb2 and canvas 6" all 4 sides
I was thinking about just using your mix and painting instead of the nasty black stuff ( I don't know what that is.)

Also if I get a HF trailer what is the procedure for painting over the red with black?

P.s. I believe that they just don't use a good quality glue in most plywood. I am a roofer by trade and often even if the wood is completely dry the plywood delaminates over time. Never seen that with OSB ( probably because of the heat,it gets hot in those Attics :shock: we also use OSB as work benches, it will out last ply wood 100 to 1 in that environment :thumbsup:
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:13 am

The black nasty stuff is a popular roofing cement apparently popular here for protecting trailer floor bottoms... It really is nasty like tar , and doesn’t apply easily , unless it’s WARM outside ... and it smells ...(Likely you know All about this stuff already ) We did as heavy a coat as possible around the bottom outsides of the FS and then just sprayed undercoating over all that and the middle ...

Funny , on my all Steel mini Cargo trailer the floor , made from boards is totally exposed underneath , but shows no signs of rot, staining , or wetness... :roll:

On a new HF trailer , you should be able to just CLEAN it with a good de-greaser, and paint away .... on mine which as faded, we’ll need to do a little light sanding/scuffing of then surface to remove any oxidation first (3M scuff pad) ... Have to paint mine soon and have some brush on Rustoleum for that ...

Plywood ... we found from many other projects in the past only the “better”($$$) grades of plywood held up well to time and use , and the Good stuff wasn’t really available at a Orange or Blue store... OSB flooring is cheap and everywhere... :thumbsup: 8) :D
Now there seems to be another grade of OSB -ish’ material out there , used by the RV manufacturers for floors (?) :roll: ... much smaller wafers’ and with a dry appearance.... it soaks up water like a Sponge... puffs up and turns to oatmeal in a short time ... Not Good !!! :thumbdown: Not to be confused with real OSB flooring ... :o

G’mo.. From a roofing standpoint... what’s your favorite material ? You’re the Pro!!! :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies