Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat May 07, 2011 8:37 pm

Gee Mike you do know that I've slept a few time since than.

But I'm almost positive that it was the latex version of Weldwood that I used. Seems that when I first tested it Which was at least 2 yrs ago that I glued luan to foam and that I floated it in a rain barrel in the green house for 3 weeks. The luan delamed but the glue held. At that point I could pull the last of the plywood off but it still took effort it just didn't fall off.
It seems that I had to put the foam and luan together when it was still tacky and it took over night to dry. If I waited till it was dry it wouldn't stick.

The vinyl adhesive that I used was Roberts 3300 but I never did the water barrel test on it.

GAry
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat May 07, 2011 10:50 pm

Reading this is almost a full time job. I am going to do some work on my current TD, the Flying Hippo. Then maybe later in the year start on a foamy. I am thinking of something that is better for a longer term living. Like 2 months at least before back to home base. And probably in the colder months for us in the north country so a well insulated foamy, nice and light even if it is bigger sounds like the ticket. See what happens.

I am planning on a sleeping platform on onside and a seat like arrangement on the other. A bit higher inside than most so I can set comfortably in bad weather. The Flying Hippo has a nice deep foot well that was possible because I made the frame higher than most. From the measurements I have made the side walls will be about 4.5 feet high. The door will be to the floor so I can get in and out to the seat without to much bending of my ever decreasing bendable body. Width will be about 4.5 feet and about 8 feet long. I like the idea of the trailer wheels closely tracking the tow vehicle and as I have a small TV will have to build over them which will cause many headaches. But will make a cleaner aerodynamic shape.

Keep up the good work. Will be interested people's experiences.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Anita Rae » Sun May 08, 2011 7:52 am

eaglesdare wrote:GORILLA GLUE WORKS! GET A SPRAY BOTTLE AND FILL WITH WATER. SPRAY ONE SIDE THAT YOU ARE GLUEING TOGETHER AND THE OTHER SIDE USE THE GORILLA GLUE. IT WILL EXPAND, FOAM OUT. BE PREPARED WITH LOTS OF PAPER TOWELS. OR SAND AND SCRAPE LATER.

WE ONLY HAVE 2 WOOD BLOCKS FOR THE HINGES ON OUR TEAR. THAT 2" FOAM IS VERY STURDY. YOU CAN MAKE A NICE DOOR WITHOUT MUCH WOOD, I DON'T BELIEVE YOU NEED A FRAME AT ALL.

I WISHED THEIR WAS SOME WAY TO "SHOW" HOW STRONG THIS THING IS.

I WOULD ONLY USE THE T2 WITH THE CANVAS ON FOAM.

GOOD WORK WITH YOURS.

Wat is the purpose of the water here? I'm sure it was explained somewhere in this post but I can't find it and Hubby is asking.
Anita Rae
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:01 am

Anita Rae wrote:Wat is the purpose of the water here? I'm sure it was explained somewhere in this post but I can't find it and Hubby is asking.

Water is the activator for gorilla glue ;)
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 08, 2011 8:08 am

yes, and you don't need to cover in gorilla glue. experiment on a scrap first if you have never used it before. do one line of the stuff, and then try one with a zig zag line. don't forget to spray one side with water, the other side glue.
..if you do the above, you should get a good feel for what this stuff does and how it expands out, foams out.

use clamps or some type of holding method to keep both pieces tightly together.

it works great on foam without melting it.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 08, 2011 8:11 am

Just felt compelled to do yet another drawing ... :o Just two gently bent surfaces to deal with , the rest all straight cuts... Image
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 08, 2011 8:29 am

i love your drawings. tell me, would a 9x6 be a wierd shape? 6' tall?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 08, 2011 9:26 am

Probably not , and you might be able to arrange it on an 8' floor , only two partial sheets of ply ??? Best made the 6' + the width of both walls ... for a true 6' inside ... :thinking:
You want me to make a drawing that size that you can print out and draw on ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 08, 2011 9:35 am

GPW wrote:Probably not , and you might be able to arrange it on an 8' floor , only two partial sheets of ply ??? Best made the 6' + the width of both walls ... for a true 6' inside ... :thinking:
You want me to make a drawing that size that you can print out and draw on ???

you know i love pictures. :thumbsup:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 08, 2011 9:37 am

Here ya' go .... Just size it to what you want and print out a few copies (saves a lot of erasing) Draw in what you want , and compare it to your other ideas, that's why several copies... ;) Image
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun May 08, 2011 10:18 am

i just went outside to pull out the foam and darned if it didn't start to rain. oh well. the next couple of days are suppose to be rain free. so maybe i can get started on one side.

check out this one. http://tnttt.com/viewto ... +gathering
scroll down til you see my post. i love this thing more than you will know. mine next one is going to be based on this. i love it!
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun May 08, 2011 11:39 am

That's just too CUTE !!! :D

Wish it would rain here... we haven't had a drop in weeks ... Wouldn't be for my rain barrels , I wouldn't have a garden ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun May 08, 2011 12:21 pm

Well I am home. We also stopped by the orange big box and grabbed a few sheets of foam. Also got a gallon of glue, a 9x12 drop canvas cloth, and a 7/8" dowel.

It's gorgeous outside, so I'm not sure I'll be getting much CAD work done today. But I can't start cutting foam until I have a CAD design. :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sun May 08, 2011 1:02 pm

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best FOAM materials... ;)

You guys (and Ladies) are so LUCKY!!! ... None of the Home stores around here carry the 2" Foam ... That's just so WEIRD!!! Certainly NOT going to order a pallet... Unless we build a LOT of Foamies ... :o
Hmmm??? Now I wonder .... how many Foamies could we build with a pallet ... :thinking: ( I must be Crazy to even consider it !!! ) :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun May 08, 2011 1:03 pm

GPW wrote:The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best FOAM materials... ;)

Foam is a far better material than some OSB and fiberboard I've seen. As long as you work with it properly.

Here is what I am starting with today...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies