Road Foamie - done for the year

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby atahoekid » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:32 pm

GPW... you're right, no one else will probably notice but I'll know, so I spent the day reworking the bulkhead/galley cabinets.

Somewhere during the cabinet build, I was off by 1/2" from right to left. Well all is back to good, the cabinet is straight and the roof panel fits flat. But it bugs me that I wasted a whole weekend. :x :x .

I'll be working on the bed platform floor, the front cabinet/bulkhead and the interior storage cabinets next. Time to go buy some plywood... Maybe I should work more carefully on these than I did with the galley
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:23 am

" Measure Twice , cut once !!!! “ Which usually works , but by the second time I measure , I usually forget what I was measuring for ... Old !! :oops:
I won’t even begin to tell what’s off on my little Foamie , since nobody noticed thus far ... so that’s Cool !!
:roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:08 pm

GPW wrote:Pete, easy enough to just tilt the trailer huh ??? a Good Eye Deer !!!

I said that with my tongue in my cheek, or a SA...answer :thumbsup:
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:29 pm

And Pete, we Old guys are just Full of SA answers, eh ... I have to watch what I say .... continuously ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby 8 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:28 pm

Better a SA than a DA I always say.
It's not fun and games until someone loses an eye.
Visit my blog ... http://www.64ox.com
Teardrop Advisor

Postby atahoekid » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:04 pm

GPW wrote:" Measure Twice , cut once !!!! “ Which usually works , but by the second time I measure , I usually forget what I was measuring for ... Old !! :oops: :roll:

Yeah, same with me and I'm still a ways away from "retirement" age. I have a bad feeling that I will never be able to afford to retire. I think I'll end up working till the day I die.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:08 pm

atahoekid wrote:
GPW wrote:" Measure Twice , cut once !!!! “ Which usually works , but by the second time I measure , I usually forget what I was measuring for ... Old !! :oops: :roll:

Yeah, same with me and I'm still a ways away from "retirement" age. I have a bad feeling that I will never be able to afford to retire. I think I'll end up working till the day I die.

Mel you would be surprised how much you spend going to work I use to drive 30 miles a day plus eats, drinks, ect now I don't drive 30 miles a week.
what I'm saying I spend less now than when I worked with SS and work retirement I'm doing ok not getting rich not going poor.
pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby atahoekid » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:09 pm

pete42 wrote:
atahoekid wrote:

Mel you would be surprised how much you spend going to work I use to drive 30 miles a day plus eats, drinks, ect now I don't drive 30 miles a week.
what I'm saying I spend less now than when I worked with SS and work retirement I'm doing ok not getting rich not going poor.
pete

Good to know... cuz this work stuff is getting in the way of life...
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:13 pm

8 wrote:Better a SA than a DA I always say.

My answers aren't SA... they're sarcastic 8) and if they can't take a joke... well you know the rest of that saying,

My problem is my filters either don't work or they don't exist. I've gotten lectured more than once by people who think I'm being insensitive
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 8 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:17 pm

My wife has this inner battle. She is sarcastic (or observant as I may call it), yet good-hearted. She'll make (or even think) a sarcastic comment and then feel bad about it, even when the subject obviously knows it was in sarcasm.
It's not fun and games until someone loses an eye.
Visit my blog ... http://www.64ox.com
Teardrop Advisor

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Sarcasm.. jus another "service" I offer fer FREE !

Live well, love much,laugh often...now go out there and have sum FUN !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Mel, how’s it coming along .... got everything straight ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:20 pm

Yeah, I got things straightened out last weekend and during the week. This weekend was mostly spent buttoning everything down for winter around the house. Put away the deck chairs, hanging the kayaks, wrapping some of the outdoor fixtures in plastic wrap. If I were motivated, I could probably get it done in half an day but... I did get some work done on the trailer this weekend. I cut a couple of roof panels and I started bending the panels for the nose. I'm gonna lay two 1" thick pieces on top of each other with kerf cut faces towards each other when they get put in place. It seems like it's gonna work nicely. Lots of kerf cuts means lots of little pink foam pellets all over but they'll get swept up eventually. Those that manage to escape from the garage will be carried away with the breezes I also built some fairing boards for smoothing everything out once I get the "sock" in place and for use in rounding off the corners. Nothing worthy of pics this weekend
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:45 am

I finally got some work done on the Road Foamie this week. After about a month of no progress, it felt good to spend most of the weekend working on it. I started working on the front bulkhead cabinets. Building cabinets is easy work for me but curving the front of it to fit the curve of the nose is a PITA. Slow work but I got stuff done. Here's some pics...

I took the template that I used to cut the side and used the front 24" to cut the sides of the cabinet

I cut the sides out using a jig saw, clamped the two pieces together and sanded down to the outline with my belt sander

The shelf across the front was cut and then the partitions for the top were cut and you can see them clamped in place here. Eventually they will be fixed in place with glue and pocket screws. The bottom of the front cabinet still needs to be put in place. The sleep platform floor will be about 11" up from the "basement" floor and there will be two more partitions to divide the remaining bottom of the cabinet into 3 sections. The middle will be the dog's bed. There will be the heater and storage on the right side, the electronics and storage on the left

The upper portion of the cabinet will house 6" x 9" speakers and the lower cabinet on one side will hold the receiver/ipod/cd player. The lower cabinet on the other side will probably just be an open shelf for the odds and end stuff that we tend to accumulate while camping.

Unfortunately since we are headed down to SoCal to see relatives I won't be working on the trailer for 2 weeks.

OH well, good weekend of progress. I am pleased!
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DJT » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:33 am

Looking good! It's a great feeling to get some build time isn't it? I'm in the same boat, sporadic building....
DJT
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies