Making it smooth

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:53 pm

I realize that you all are using canvass. I used used bed sheets on the new WW and was amazed at the difference in the difference in the finish with different thread counts of the material. 100 count was alot like canvass but 300 thread count was almost as smooth as metal.

GAry
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby ARKPAT » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:49 pm

That is good to know Gary ..... you got me thinking on a new box :thinking: ;) :twisted:

:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:55 pm

You could put bedsheets over canvas over foam for maximum strength PLUS a Smooth surface ... the bed sheet serving as a “weave fillerâ€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:39 pm

oh now that is a great thought to get that smooth finish look!
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Funny... I was away for the week on business and never did peek in on the site, I got up this morning and came to the conclusion that I wanted to go ahead and use epoxy to fill the weave of the fiberglass cloth that I had already decided to use to cover the foam on my trailer. Then I came across this thread. I've messed around with a few different ideas and materials since I really want that smooth finish. I think that fiberglass is going to make a good sock, the thickened epoxy should fill the weave well and since you can sand it, it won't be as difficult to use as some of the other materials I've tried. I know it will take some additional work, but that's a price I'm willing to pay for that smooth finish. A good paint job will provide good UV protection. I think that's the way I'm gonna go....
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby loaderman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:52 pm

:? So many options
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:30 am

Nothing wrong with fiberglass , lots of things Right with it ... :thumbsup: Just a little more expense and work ... and with the right surface prep and finish, should be as smooth as .... “glassâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Making it smooth

Postby aratman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:35 pm

I read on a canoe site about using duct sealer as a filler. The duct sealer site says its indoor/out door and paintable. I am going to try it.
aratman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby atahoekid » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:50 am

Rosey is building a foamie canoe and is using the duct sealer. Apparently she's pretty happy with the results. Below is the link to her build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=47250
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:00 am

I know this sounds like a lot of work , but what about going over the fabric with a squeegee and some lightweight vinyl spackling compound ... weighs next to nothing , easy to apply , easier to block sand Very smooth ... Just an idea ... this is a finish we’ve used on Foamie airplanes before painting ... and on our Foamie trailer to fill in small dents/scratches before covering ... That and a good thick sand-able primer should have it looking smooth as glass .... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby loaderman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:00 am

There is an exterior Spackle, but guys I know in the trade say it isn't any good.
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:42 am

L’, you know , I wonder about that “guys in the trade” business.... Most of the guys in the trade around here want a product they can apply quickly, easily, and with a minimum of work needed after... and have panned some good quality products as being too labor intensive , taking too much time for them to fool with, or in their terms “no good” ... That’s how they make money , rolling one job to the next , the less time spent on each job , the more money they make .... just the reverse of we “hobbyists” :roll: As far as tradesmen knowing of lasting results, I kinda’ doubt it , they’re long gone before any problems show up , and you know they Never do this to their own stuff ... :R
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:55 am

loaderman wrote:There is an exterior Spackle, but guys I know in the trade say it isn't any good.

The thing with the exterior grade is that it is more dense (harder) than the interior stuff. It is more difficult to sand. The light weight vynil spackle can be smoothed almost with out sanding with just a damp sponge before it dries completely.

Bill
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby millstone » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:25 pm

Man. I was thinking the same thing about sparkling. I used exterior spackling on my foam and it did really well filling the divots. I wonder if it could be thinned to the point where its easy to apply, say, with a wide drywall taping knife. Gotta try that when canvass time comes.

M.
millstone
Silver Donating Member

Concrete Block Filler

Postby millstone » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:06 pm

I did a sample piece using latex concrete block filler. I'm not sure if it makes the canvas stick any better ,but, atop the canvas it worked GREAT. Two coats will yield a very smooth surface, and a wet sanding would look pretty close to a smooth frp panel. And because it's much thicker than paint, I cant help but think it would stiffen and seal the sock.

Worth a go. $15 agallon at Ace.

M.
millstone
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies