Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Hybrid Foamie: Sleeper with Studio storage on wheels

Postby mezmo » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:24 am

Hi Ned B,

Welcome to 'Foamieland'.

Your design has a few antecedents on the forum here.
A few are:

A very recent one is Standupguy's:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=43655
He's just finishing up his infill panels. A nice simple
design.

An exemplary one is Sharon's:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=27313
Really nice and her dual doors - one on the side and
one in the rear are a really GREAT idea.

A really good Foamie example is Aliagtor944's:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=49879
He is finishing up enough now to make it campable. He's
using fabric for infill sides at the moment but plans
to do solid walls later on.

Also go 5wide as a minimum. Best practice for mpg is to
have the TTT tow profile fit within the tow vehicle's [greatest
or final] cross-section size, [Height and width] or as close
as you can get to it meeting your design needs. The "theory" is:
it just follows through the "hole" in the air that the tow
vehicle has already 'punched' in the air. Building a 5wide body on
the 4wide frame is no big deal. It is done all the time. Just
use a reasonably made floor torsion box to do it. Wheel wells
are not a big deal either, generally less to do than fenders.

A 'slouchy' /'standy' with an aisle to put your feet in when
sitting on the bed, with purpose-sized equipment storage
cubicles, sounds ideal for your needs. Smaller/miscellaneous
frequently used items can be stored in 'modular' plastic bins
set on the aisle floor for travel and stacked up at it's end
when parked. You could also have room for a porta-pottie at
the aisle end if you wanted. looking through all the different
builds can get you inspired/amazed at the various possibilities
for arrangements/floor plans.

Good luck with your move [Where in NY?] and have fun planning
and building once you can start in.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:52 am

Verna wrote:Ned, I thought you just moved to VA...good luck with your move to NY.

Verna ,
Yep, I moved down here last May, the family followed in July... things just didnt' work the way we planned, economy/job wise... and the house we're in is going up for sale... so, we're returning to our house in NY which we still own.
Thanks!

GPW wrote:Ned , please excuse me , I can’t help but to make drawings of ideas , so here’s another take on a shuttlecraft Foamie ... Just my ramblings ... Wider is better ... 4’ wide is kinda’ cramped for me (6’3” also) .. more under bed storage space too ... and a little 24sq. ft. walkabout area , under the raised top ... :thinking: The nose is similar to your RV and will allow it to be built on an 8’ trailer but be longer inside (TARDIS ) :o

Old pop up trailer frame would be perfect .... ;)

GPW, nothing to excuse, That's one snazzy design!... looks like a nextgen shuttle . I was going for 'dimensional' design... ie, no or few joints in the build, trust me, if I could swing it, I'd have a goose or one of mike's angular raised roof designs in a heartbeat.

Mel, I have to keep the SUV I have, so no pickup and 5er for me, though one of those scamps would be cool too.

mezmo wrote:Hi Ned B,

Welcome to 'Foamieland'.

Your design has a few antecedents on the forum here.
A few are:

Good luck with your move [Where in NY?] and have fun planning
and building once you can start in.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo

Norm,
been reading all of the above faithfully, just haven't chimed in much on them. :thumbsup:

I'm from the Syracuse area originally, and going back up there tomorrow... I have a 26' y'all haul parked in front of the house right now, about 1/3 to 1/2 full at the moment. Need to get off of the computer and on to moving more stuff... but I'm inhaling a quick breakfast before I start up today... and minimal online stuff at the same time.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:05 am

Hate to move... Did it three times in a year once. Hopefully you hadn't accumulated too much stuff while you were in VA. Good Luck and take care on the road. The orange and white diy moving vans can have issues. I know first hand. :shock: :x :shock:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:03 pm

atahoekid wrote:Hate to move... Did it three times in a year once. Hopefully you hadn't accumulated too much stuff while you were in VA. Good Luck and take care on the road. The orange and white diy moving vans can have issues. I know first hand. :shock: :x :shock:

well, I seem to have gotten one which hasn't been beat to crap, the AC works, and the interior of the box is in good shape (for a y'all haul). I've had bad experiences with Ryder, Penske and so so with Budget last year. (that was more my fault, didn't reserve a big/tall enough truck for a couple of items, and they wound up being a pain to work around. This time I got the 26' y'all haul, and the packing up is going Much smoother. we're down to just a few rooms 'cleaning' right now, all of the big stuff minus three things are on the truck now.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi folks,
don't think I've forgotten y'all. Just been busy with the move, then a 5 day trip for work, followed by a week and a half of 'where the heck did we put _____?!?!' type questions. (for example, we misplaced the 'bathroom' box, luckily I have a travel kit and we had lots of extras of all the necessary items at the new/old house.)

This week I've been attacking the horrendous mess that is my poor neglected wood shop. Had to cram all of my tools in with a shoe horn when we unloaded the y'all haul, thanks to a BUNCH of boxes of 'stuff' which my kids/tenants just shoved out there so they could paint while we were away. Not entirely their fault, we moved in a hurry, and a lot of it was 'oops, forgot to pack that' stuff, or it simply didn't fit on the truck we rented going southbound. Suffice to say here is where I'm working now...

I had to move enough stuff to be able to clear out that floorspace, then move the lumber that is there off of the rack arms which were in a different location, sort it, move the arms to these spots, then re-load the now sorted lumber there. Plus we did part of that, unloading, sorting and re-stacking this rack's worth of wood as well, which is at 8' high in my shop:

Ultimately I'm going for this arrangement of my tools and benches and whatnot:

That's a 12'x20' space with 10' sidewalls... so more 'volume' than the footprint might suggest.
Once I get that all organized, I've got to run permanent power out to the shop, renovate a couple of rooms in the house and then MAYbe get my foamie underway.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:13 pm

Sounds like you've got a ton of stuff to do. In all due time, things will come together and then you'll be on to building. Keep plugging along...
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:08 am

Mel,
yeah, it's going to be a fun rest of the year. How does that 'teardrop time' thing work again? Lol
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:43 pm

Hey foamlings...
quick note, the LOML seems to be wavering... if I can come up with a spacious enough design, I might just be able to construct a straight teardrop (vs the one with storage). Her complaint is the 'claustrophobic' feel when rolling over in the middle of the night. I'm thinking wild goose or another pop top design... in foam. Going to be a springtime build however, as I Know I won't be able to convince her this summer.

Keep on building, I may not comment much, but I read A TON, and am a regular here on the Foamies board.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:11 pm

Always Glad to hear from you Ned !!! ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:21 pm

Warmer weather is approaching... we're expecting a decent thaw this weekend with temps in the 50's (you southern folks may shiver, but up here in NY that's shirtsleeve weather after a couple of months averaging around 28° if that)...

just for fun I stopped at my local hardware/home center and inquired about the cost of sheets of foam... $35 per 4'x8' 2" $27 for 1.5" thick. hmmmm
:twisted:
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:57 pm

Ned , you’re fortunate you can get the 2” there .... not here , they don’t stock it !!! You may be able to beat that price if you shop around ... But that’s not a bad price at all !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:25 pm

GPW wrote:Ned , you’re fortunate you can get the 2” there .... not here , they don’t stock it !!! You may be able to beat that price if you shop around ... But that’s not a bad price at all !!!

yup, that's what I thought re: the price... I'm also thinking of putting it up in the eaves of my woodshop, I just have to figure out how much I'll need for that, plus for my foamie project.

I should rename the thread as I'll be doing something other than the studio storage trailer; thinking something more along the lines of a foamie winter warrior, or even my own version of a foamstream.

edit: just noticed I cracked 100 posts just now! :thumbsup:
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Ned , you know if you build it for your business , I believe a good deal of it , if not all is Tax deductible ... :thumbsup:
Just an idea , you could build one that looked like a Big Camera -ish' ... that would be Cool eh , intent plainly stated, and an obvious “Roadside attraction”... generating a little publicity /advertising in the works ... 8) What the heck, it worked for Oscar Meyer eh !!! ;) Crumbs for thought eh ? ... :thinking:

Congratulations on #100 !!! :applause:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:17 pm

My studio is on the way, way back burner right now. I have two new jobs and I'm barely getting any shutter time these days. However I'm finally back in the workforce after about 6 months with little or no income.

I like the idea of a camera themed trailer though... hmmm

:pictures:
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mezmo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:51 pm

Yeh Ned - a camera shaped trailer ! Like the old Bellows type -
a la Matthew Brady ? Or a Box Brownie ? [Probably easier to build.}

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.