Sixtoedkatz our hybrid build

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Sixtoedkatz our hybrid build

Postby pappaw » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Congrats, looks like your off to a good start. :thumbsup:

Cheers :beer:
Image Cheers from Granny, Pappaw, and Cocoa (the Dachshund) Image
pappaw
Teardrop Master

Postby sixtoedkatz » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks Mel. I know. Just trying to keep a lid on the costs! :? 959939599295991959909598995988959849598395982 A little more progress.
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Postby sixtoedkatz » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:59 pm

Thanks Pappaw! I need the encouragement for those moments when I look at this project and think, "what are you doing!?" :lol:
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Postby sixtoedkatz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:46 am

Sooo Need some input. I am putting bunks in on the one side and for my bed, I don't want a platform. The foamie platform looked interesting but I am a big girl so I don't know?? Also another bunk is going above my bed for my youngest daughter. Plywood or the hammock style (like in the old scotty's and http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en ... x=48&ty=54 or http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en ... =111&ty=83

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en ... =108&ty=88) I am thinking to save weight maybe the hammock over me. The bunks will be fine on the other side but they'll be heavy. Just thinking..... :thinking: Any thoughts on this? Also GPW, I need to try the waterproofer u used. I did a test on foam for outer coat with newspaper (just for fun) with 2 coats poly. It's water proof but didn't harden up. Foam under is still soft if pressed. In the loooongg thread you all didn't really ever come to any conclusions about hardness. (I'm only about 1/3 of the way through) I don't want to sandwich with plywood. Does the paint with canvas make it hard?? not just waterproof? We get alot of hail and branches here. Don't really want one in the trailer with me! Not to mention everything trucks throw up from the road. Saw someone who had a branch go THROUGH theirs?? Easily repaired but... wondering if I can harden it up a little. Saw a guy used kemlar (sp). but That's outside the budget for me. Might use hardboard over the roof just to make sure.96076 This has a hole in the foam and when you press there HARD, it will not go through. I am sure if I took a hammer or a screw driver to it it would. It's flexible, has give but sturdy. I think I'll try paint on the newsprint and see if that makes a difference. Granted this is not sheets of extruded. It's foam packing from the TV box. LOL!
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:17 am

6Ktz, My simplest plan is sleeping on the floor of the trailer on a nice thick soft foam pad and a good sleeping bag, with a few comfy pillows (decorative throws) ... (it’s “camping” ) a Hammock above you , or a simple shelf , would work fine for someone smaller ... or they can sleep on the floor too ... in the morning it all gets rolled up and stored away .. :thinking:

The Scotty hammock style is pretty cool too , because as you add the reinforcement for the hammock , you end up strengthening the whole area too ...

There is always a compromise to materials and how puncture resistant they are ... BUT , I had a limb punch 10 holes in my Jayco TT ... right through two layers of 1/8” ply and 3 “ of foam , plus a membrane ... so how far do we go ... Steel roof ??? It’s possible ... Incidentally , it cost $5K to repair the commercial trailer (RV Dealer) , on a Foamie the same repair would be under $20 ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby sixtoedkatz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Wow! :shock: that's a serious hit to the bank account. You're right GPW. I am over thinking the skin. I was impressed I couldn't push through it with just 2 poly coats. I have a tendency to be attracted to mailboxes :roll: and my car show's it :lol: Just have to re-enforce my corners for those tense movements when the trees and I disagree. :) about how much space is between them and the camper.
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Postby sixtoedkatz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:10 pm

Finishing up floor96113
And made boxes over fenders to prevent anything from pressing on them and tearing the tire as I saw in one post. 9611296111
I will fill in gaps and re under coat. Finally feels like it's coming together. Here's a pic of the full floor. Sorry about everything on it. My Husband I are having a disagreement about how much floor space I am allowed to have to this project!
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Postby sixtoedkatz » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:30 pm

Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Postby atahoekid » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:01 am

You're making good progress. I like the thriftiness of the build.

You mentioned in an earlier post the waterproofing mix. It is 50% mineral spirits/50% polyurethane. It is great for waterproofing the wood prior to finishing. Give it 3 or 4 coats and let it soak in. More on the edges and ends. Will cause a very slight ambering effect on the wood. I've used it on my wood where it won't otherwise see a finish. According to GPW, who has used it extensively, it works great prior to paint and some other finishes. Don't know that it does a thing for foam...

The hard exterior shell of the foam is usually canvas and paint or another alternative. The heavier weight of the canvas, the stronger the "shell". I guess tree limbs and RV's don't mix too well no matter what you have as a shell. Maybe aluminum is the strongest siding and you can do an aluminum side but the $$$ involved and the added weight are a definite negative. I used fiberglass. Messy, not inexpensive and the cure time is long but I like the nice smooth finish. I thought about a thin 5mm exterior plywood, but don't like the possibility of rot, and the weight is a negative, too. Your choice. If your budget is the biggest issue, I'd go with canvas using thinned out glue or exterior latex paint as the adhesive. If $$$ are no object and you're looking for durability and strength then aluminum could be your answer

Bunks on one side, a hammock for the small one and for you.... a platform/floor and a thin pad sounds like roughing it to me although I gotta admit that the self-inflating pads that they sell for backpackers are really pretty comfortable. One of the reasons I'm building a teardrop is so I can a couple of the comforts of home with me. A soft comfortable place to sleep is one of those. (Beer on tap is another) :beer: :beer: :beer: Take a look at the camping section of REI, Cabelas's and the like and you can get some pretty nice pads. Should work nicely and those pads are easy to roll up each morning to keep them out of the way. Get a good one though, I've never been successful at patching one of those if they get punctured (normally by some unseen microscopic sharp object). I went cheap at first and after disposing of two leaky but otherwise fine pads, I paid for a good one. Haven't bought another one since. My son uses it now when he's off backpacking or camping.

Hope that helps. Keep up the great work
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby sixtoedkatz » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:15 am

Thanks Mel. Every little bit helps. Me sitting here in my brain sometimes I just go in circles!! :?
So, I was searching online for artists that use EPS in large scale projects for stage and outdoor settings and what they are using. All too expensive for me BUT I found this recipe. http://ultimatepapermache.com/paper-mache-clay
This lady makes animal sculpture with this medium and it supposedly dries very hard and still light weight. So, I am giving it a try. 8) I mixed it up and it looks like what she has. 96161 It made about 2.5 cups of medium. (She says 1 quart. It made less than that but I was just eyeing it)
I spread it on my test styro foam at about 1/4 inch thick. 96162She said that it's very hard to sand so try to get your finish right. It was really easy to work with. Like spreading fondant or icing on cake. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get a consistent layer but it was pretty easy to get it uniform. And I only used maybe a 1/4 c to test my area at 8inx 18in so one batch would probably do approx. a 24 sq ft area. ?? I also used wood glue instead of the all glue she used as that was what the MART had. I spent $20 for a HUGE bucket of joint compound, linseed oil, glue, toilet paper (4 rolls as this was an experiment) and i had flour. If this works I will get more toilet paper and a big bottle of glue. so for about $20 more I should have a cheap solution to my hardness issue. We'll see if it works. She said it is paintable as that is what she does to it.
Checking it this morning it's still wet. Gonna put a fan on it to aid drying time.
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:16 am

Although “artistic” , I doubt that is really going to do what you really want ... better to just stick newspaper sheets on in many layers ... same effect , cheaper and smoother ... Nothing a good thick canvas wouldn’t do better ... Last time I was at the yard goods store (fabric) saw some really Heavy canvas , on the sale table ... about 1/8” thick as I could reckon, 72” wide , $5 a yard ... I should have picked it up for later ... would be like Armor over foam ... not much would go through that ... :thinking: Perfect for a roof or front cap ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby sixtoedkatz » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Sorry. It's been a weird week. Back to school, kids to camp! Haven't got a lot done. Here are the test samples of the Paper mache clay dry and painted. I really like it. It has a stucco quality to it. It sanded fine, if I wanted to do that. Still flexible but hard surface. And waterproof. 9628596284 GPW no decisions on it yet. Just playing.
GPW are you brainstorming another tear??? Do tell, do share!
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:21 pm

6TK, planning on a lower and Wider cabin , made of 3.5” white beaded foam ... wood plank flooring , not that laminated stuff ... Very Thrifty ... ;) Canvas covered as per usual ... Being retired , my budget is very small , but my ideas are really BIG ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby sixtoedkatz » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Very cool!pics, pics! :twisted: :D
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Postby sixtoedkatz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:55 pm

So because I am broke and bored at the moment.. I messed around with some other compounds. Wanted to show you I did hit that section with the air under neath with a hammer :D It took 3 whacks to break the newspaper bond and that was just 2 coats of poly. Also, I hit the foam 3 more times and it never went through but did leave a dent. The pic it's hard to see but there is a dent in the air pocket area. Easily fixed. But the girls keep drawing in it with their finger nails, hearts and crap. :roll: So that is out but it is strong.9643596436 So definitely sticking with the canvas, TBII and paint. :)
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies