The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:13 am

Thanks Mel. Some people would argue that I am doing it wrong because I am still building and not camping yet. :roll: :cry:
;)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby kk4czd » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:20 am

KCStudly wrote:Some people would argue that I am doing it wrong because I am still building and not camping yet. :roll: :cry:
;)

And "some people" are wrong!! :FNP
kk4czd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:35 am

It would seem totally appropriate and correct to take as long as necessary to build what You want and the way you want ... ;) The only RULE here is to have FUN !!! :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:44 am

KC, First you are doing an excellent, detailed job, You said earlier that you are learning techniques and it is for you a learning experience too. I have not the place nor the tools nor the money for such a detailed build and I am so slow it would take me way too much time because..... yes, I want to camp and travel. like I and GPW have said it is yours build it like you want to. Don't listen to the spoilers, lets face it, your expertise is intimidating to some but to me you are just doing a great job, like you can. I am so proud of you and your building , from concept to every little tiny part so don't worry you will get it built and you will enjoy many hours of camping and showing it off. It will be a show piece!!! now :)

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:25 am

At the risk of sounding like a big softy... :roll: :frightened: I want you all to know that I took no offense and did not mean to sound put upon when I made those comments to Mel.

You see, Mel, by way of his complements (recent and previous), seemed to me to be discouraged by his faster building techniques (perhaps it was just a humble way to express a kind thought about my build), and I merely wanted to express to him that there is always a trade off. He's out and camping and should not feel that his build is any less than a great accomplishment. It was built to suit his needs and goals at the time and is a success for those reasons alone; not to mention that it is a dandy camper in its own right.

So I guess I was just trying to humble myself in the hopes that it would make him feel better in that regard.

It sounds like my next one (if there is a next one) will be my quick and dirty build, and his will be his masterpiece! :twisted:

Build on. :D
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:00 pm

Welcome back kk4czd. Thank you for taking an interest in my build. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:59 pm

No offense taken at all. I simply marvel at the time and effort you put into the smallest detail and the quality of the work shows. As I said somewhere before, as proud as I am of the Road Foamie, it pales in comparison to the quality of your work. You deserve all the kudos you get. It is a job extremely done well. I do wish that you can get camping soon, but build it the way you want it. I rushed a few details, since I was on a deadline and I'll need to either live with the way it came out or go back and redo it. You will have a showstopper and after a shakedown trip, which I would in retrospect, highly recommend, you will be able to enjoy TPCE without any nagging doubts or issues. BUILD ON!!!!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:52 pm

Thanks Mel! Very kind words and I'm glad we are of the same mindset in this regard. :thumbsup: 8)
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:02 pm

Hey, KC! Don't worry about time. You're on teardroppin' time!
I've seen some builds take up to 5 years and some are never done.
For others, the craftsmanship is as important as getting out there on camping trips.
So, no guilt trips...only fun trips for you! Just enjoy. :ok:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:53 pm

Thanks Sharon. Like I said in the beginning, I have not been camping in many, many years. For me the building is part of the journey and the tribute; part of the commitment that I made to myself to take on this project and take a hobby (the building part, not the camping part) all the way to where I envisioned it from the begining. The camping will come when the time is right. The build will eventually be "done". I already have some plans beyond Poet Creek. I passed up going to the drags a couple of times this year, and a visit to my friend Dave's trying to stay focused on the build, but when it is done I can see myself hitting the ground at those events next year!

Quick up date on tonight's doings. Located, glued, pinned, and clamped the second spar (as in 2nd from the front). You can also see the locating pucks for the first spar just to the left; laid these out for the pair all at the same.

While that was setting up I contemplated how I am going to glue the vent fan spars and side riblets. Also did a little test hand driving drywall screws thru predrilled holes in a scrap of 5mm into foam to see how I felt about using that technique to “clamp” the edges of the ceiling panel down to the walls in between the spars where there is no blocking. I used 2 inch screws. One held very well and seemed to have enough holding power. The other stripped easily to the point that it spun freely, but still had some hold (i.e. it didn’t pull out easily). I think if I use 3 inch screws it will be adequate enough to save having to do some awkward clamp setups.

The TB2 instructions say to keep the clamps on for 30 minutes, so I waited a good 45 min to hedge my bet before stripping off “the clamp”. Set it up again and glued the first spar. I measured and found that the 2x4 was bowed by 3/8 inch in the middle.
Another thing of note, during the last clamp up I noticed that the edge of the bench was puckering up a little under the pipe clamp, so I reinforced the edge of the bench with a chunk of 2x4 at each end.

Here is a little better look at the 2nd spar after cleaning up the excess glue with a scraper.

Cleanup was very easy while the excess was still wet/gummy. I left that first spar under the clamp and won't get back to it until Wednesday. I hope the moderate fillet of glue that squeezed out is not a pain to remove after it has set for a couple of days. Not that big of a deal, I just don’t want it to be a hassle when it comes time to fit the foam nice and snuggly. It just didn’t seem very practical to try and reach in under all of those shims to wipe the excess while it was sloppy wet.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:13 am

Are there any superlatives left? I'll have to think on that awhile.
Until then, incredible job and execution as always. Thanks (again) for sharing your journey with us.

As for that fillet of glue... is it going to be visible? I thought you were putting foam between those riblets... if so, won't the foam compress around that tiny fillet? Just wondering. :thinking:
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:33 am

After thinking about it a little, the glue will probably shrink considerably when it has fully dried, and it really won't be a big deal either way, even if it means knocking the bottom corner off of the foam slightly at those locations. As I do frequently, I am probably just over thinking things; I probably can't make the foam fit that well anyway.

I'm just in that "constantly looking ahead" mode, wondering what will and will not be the next "tricky" thing. The long periods of staring at the upcoming tasks and wondering if I am "painting myself into a corner", or doing something out of order that might have to be undone later seem to come in fits and starts. Dry fits, tests, practice runs, these are all opportunities to check things out and provide extra time to catch mistakes, make improvements, and do QC.

Thank you for the nice comments! :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Prototear » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:20 pm

KCStudly a month ago wrote:I’m not sure how I want to try and seal these. They have a gasket and gland nut, but the grip is only 3/8 of an inch. The Locker case is 3/4 thick and the floor of the tongue box will be 1/2 ply.

Hi KC,
I'm at a point with the electrical installation and have been trying to solve a problem similar to what you had a month ago with my under-floor conduit penetrations where the floor is thicker than the length of the thread on the connector. Sharing your progress is a great help seeing how I can do something similar. Keep up the good work, both in your build and in sharing the thorough information. :applause:
Steve
First Build: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=57021
Prototear
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:43 pm

Thanks Steve! Glad it helped you out. :thumbsup: :D
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:41 am

If the threads are too short...
You could make the hole big enough for the connector to pass through the wood and then glue/screw? a big washer or metal plate (with the original size hole) over the bigger hole that the fitting would then attach to ....
:thinking:
tac422
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies