Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:11 pm

mike, you mean from the cinching straps? that is what i thought too, but then gpw mentioned the same problem.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:19 pm

Just like everything else , I think the foam expands with the Heat .... Been pretty darn HOT here ... I got some new Brass hinges for the door , Mine's just tight on top , so I can re hinge it a little lower ... fill the old holes with Hot Glue ... simple ... For the past couple days we've gotten some real Heavy rains... Downpours... Checked the trailer , dry as toast inside ... But a tree frog moved in ... had to gently urge him out ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:22 pm

Why are you leaving your door open for tree frogs?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:38 pm

:lol: i was thinking the same thing. how did the little critter get in there? i could see that in mine since i do have gaps in my doors.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:35 pm

I have now read all 144 pages of this thread. My head now hurts!!! :? :? :?

I'm pretty well convinced that my build should be a foamie (Since I'm planning on having a 3 gallon keg of my homebrew on board, I think I should name it "The Road Foamie") I was trying to keep track of everything that people tried with success but now I'm all confused... I'm also running some tests with that stuff from the "Hot Wire Foam Factory"

So are these the best practices??

I'm thinking Gorilla Glue for foam to foam glue up (spray one side with water first.

TB2 over canvas, overlapping the outer edges Is it best to use full strength or 50/50? Top coat with water based Kilz, sand and repeat as needed to get a "smooth" finish

An interior "skeleton" of cabinets in the front and rear to provide strength with an inner skin of thin ply and "hard points" as needed to mount hardware.

Secure the walls to the floor using the inner skin of ply and an outer strip of ply under the canvas/TB2.

Let me know if I missed something or just plain got it wrong. Thanks. I am truly amazed by what you can accomplish with foam and a bit of wood.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:29 am

Mel , you got it !!! Foamies are Simple ... You can build most anything with it ... the hardest thing is deciding What you want to build ... many choices ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:42 am

Mel,

Be sure to check out my adhesion tests before committing to your adhesive!

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 283#842283

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:04 am

OK, I have a gap in the door bottom , and living in the woods ,we have lots of tree frogs... They get everywhere... :o
The idea of the gap at the bottom was to install a sweep/threshold sorta' thing ... Just haven't found the right one yet ... :oops:
Still a few things to do to the cabin before we call it finished ... inside window frame and removable screen ... Door frame inside (molding ) which will also serve to mount the door seal , although sitting outside in the storms , yet to get water inside ... Have to make and install a small fixed window in the passenger side ... Then the AC ... Thinking I'd carefully cut out the hole in the front , use the cutout for the flap/door ... The AC would just slide in , when needed... Most of these units are less than 40 lb.. so no problem carting them around... easily replaced should one break ...
So many little details to work on ... :o

Mel, the best thing is to Plan Ahead... If you read all that , you Know what to do .... :thumbsup: Just a Plan helps you "focus"...

:thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:16 am

hmmm :thinking: 3 gallons of homebrew. that should help with the weight issue. :lol:

you have the basic down pretty good. i could tell you exactly how i did mine, but then gpw could tell you how he did his, and then mike and patg could tell you how they did and are doing theirs. all of which will be different.

you have the basic idea, so just go with it now and make it yours.

just remember the idea as i understand it is the "sock" effect.
as gpw says, try to plan ahead. think about where you are going to cut holes in (windows/doors etc).

not much thinking went into mine, because i had no idea what i was doing and had to do it fast. camping was coming up and i had to get it done and get going. :lol: but i did learn alot from it and i am planning a second build.

good luck to you and you HAVE to post pics. start a build thread here.

today does seem like it will be nice, as well as the next couple of days. doesn't seem to be much rain in the forecast. so i am going to go out and work on the foamie. i think i have in my head how i want to do the doors. thinking that is what i will work on first. but i need a few clamps to do what i want. and i don't have any.
..but then i think maybe i should repaint it first?
..so maybe i will just work on the inside for now?
:lol: :? who knows what i will end up doing.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:47 am

look what 'whats his name' bought me!

i can only hope that is enough for what i want to do. and i suppose i don't have any more excuses not to go out there. well except for one, the wasp nest that my daughter just sprayed and p.o'd a few of them off in the process. give me tree frogs anyday to a wasp.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:49 am

:thinking: is this a sad day when the wife gets excited to receive clamps as a gift?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Naaaa!!! It's a Happy Day !!! :D Clamps are Useful ...

Eagle , we have plenty of wasps too ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:38 pm

i did go out there and its too hot in the sun. so i asked hubby if he would move it out back into the shade. he said yes. but he took his time and i ended up baking cakes. gonna do a multi layered banana split cake. well i am going to attempt it.
so i can't burn the cake, have to wait til the baking is done. then i can go out back.

i am going to work on the hatch. i'll take some pics and show how it sort of is falling apart. have to find my gg and try to repair it.

and i have enough scrape pieces to redue one door the way i would like it. just hope i am capable of doing it. remember i have never built anything! even the foamie i did not do, a group came down on a weekend and put it together. i'm excited and nervous about this. don't want to screw it up.

anyone want to come and help me? say a :worship: for me.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:09 pm

Eagle , You'll do just fine !!! You Know what to do , and have done it already !!! :o

And be sure to let the cake cool thoroughly !!!!!!! ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:00 pm

well the cake is done. not perfect, not real pretty, but it sure is yummy!

now about those doors...... :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies