FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:29 pm

I do not know what they do in there. I have not looked at a conventional recipe to see if they replace something or if they are "Just there".

But if you are not told there are spuds in there you would not know.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:34 pm

My guess is that they provide the desired texture w/o having to be too concerned about achieving the proper temperature. Also, they would add quite a bit of bulk, making the fudge more thrifty than standard recipes.

Just speculating.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Kind of like black bean brownies. You would never guess they were made of beans.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:08 pm

... or Japanese red bean ice cream ... If you think about it , a potato is just a plant like everything else you’d put in fudge ... a starch , carbohydrate... Just plain Food !!! Properly seasoned the way You like it ...(whatever that is) ;) That’s really the basis for all Cajun cooking ...taking what you can get and seasoning it to make something tasty ... :thumbsup: ... If you have Lemons , make lemonaid, got Spuds , make Fudge ... 8) You can bet I’ll try it , and maybe even put a southern twist on it by using Sweet potatoes... :thinking:

We Cajuns are fond of saying : “ Once you eat a Crawfish , you’ll eat any damn thing” (True!!!) ... You can always spit it out ... :R :lol: :lol: :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:01 am

We keep this up and we’ll be writing the Foamie’ Cook Book ... :thinking: Foamlings' have to eat too ... ;) Traveling Food !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:55 am

Looking out the window just had a thought... :roll: .. Been thinking about larger trailers , and the one problem that kept coming up was roof maintenance .. The regular washing , checking , caulking , etc. etc. Tough (dangerous) for us Old Guys up on shaky ladders :frightened: Which has been pretty much eliminated with the FoamStream Rounded roof... which in reality actually washes itself in the rain... :o Was observing that effect during this morning’s gullywasher'... I was wondering why the FS always looked so “Clean” ... Nice it worked out that way ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:55 pm

Hey! look what I'm going to do before I go to the eye doctor on Tuesday: http://www.lawrence.com/weblogs/soundch ... n-years-s/ . Looks like tons of fun. Maybe I'll get a little video of the fun.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:09 pm

Hey, I bet you have heard the song by "Truck Stop Honeymoon" "Mardi Gras in Kansas"

This is what I got tickets for today
Burn Baby Burn

8) Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:29 pm

wagondude wrote:Hey! look what I'm going to do before I go to the eye doctor on Tuesday: http://www.lawrence.com/weblogs/soundch ... n-years-s/ . Looks like tons of fun. Maybe I'll get a little video of the fun.

Lawrence....any excuse to have a party!
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:54 am

That All looks like Fun ....!!! 8) Everybody needs a Party eh !!! :P
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby kudzu » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:52 am

GPW, as I keep drawing & redrawing shapes for my build the one thing I keep trying to avoid is a surface that won't shed water. Even if it is just a few inches of slopes rather than the cool, curves of the Foamstream. I just don't want water sitting in one spot no matter how waterproof the exterior of the camper is.

Mardi Gras in KS? Whodathunkit? But why not? It's a big party & everyone's invited!
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:07 am

KZ, those flat roof campers and RVs are just water traps , all leading to the eventual leaking and resulting Rot ... It rains so much here, a flat roof of any kind is not only Impractical, but asking for Trouble ... :o The flat roof RV trailer we had that was supposed to be trouble free(the dealer’s words) , required at least monthly inspection and cleaning , and a mandatory yearly re-caulking ($1200.00 at the dealers) :roll: ... Expensive PIA for this Old guy ... :duh: The FoamStream requires nothing ... :thumbsup: 8) :D

Rounding the roof across the top was more difficult than a TD shape which also sheds water..just rounded the other way ... and they’re “pretty” ... 8)

I still think it ’s Funny the FS turns out looking like Every other free Ken Horse trailer in the neighborhood .... so much for “original” thinking ... :oops: :R :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jack B. » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:26 am

Here's a page from a site for building small boats that has some good advice on applications to what's going on here with the Foamers and Foamettes using glue, fiberglass tape/fabrics and thin plywood. Make sure you dig around into the rest of the site. Lots of little things to stimulate the old (and not so old) imagination synapses.

http://www.portableboatplans.com/tips-from-builders.php

One never know what might pop into the old grey matter from an unforeseen tangent do one. Reminds me of the time I was lost in Madagascar for nearly three weks with nothing but food and water. I thought I would die.

Jack

I'll put this on both foam streams.
Get it.
Jack B.
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:53 am

Thanks Jack !! :thumbsup: 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:40 am

kudzu wrote:GPW, as I keep drawing & redrawing shapes for my build the one thing I keep trying to avoid is a surface that won't shed water. Even if it is just a few inches of slopes rather than the cool, curves of the Foamstream. I just don't want water sitting in one spot no matter how waterproof the exterior of the camper is.

It doesn't take much to shed water. IIRC, a "flat" roof is only sloped 1/4" per foot to allow drainage. The other thing you can do is to never leave the trailer dead level. If I have to park the Road Foamie and am expecting rain (or even heavy dew) I'll leave it slightly nose down. Everything drains off and no worries about leaking.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies