FoamStream...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FoamStream...

Postby atahoekid » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:44 pm

You may want to try building a scale model. It will serve as proof of concepts and may help you avoid a design/build mistake or two. Foam board is pretty inexpensive and easy to work with. The other thing is it gives you something to do while you try to be patient. Only problem is once you're done with the model, you really have a bad itch that can only be scratched by building the real thing. :) :) Let's see what you come up with. We love to see other people's work!!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:27 am

You also might want to figure how much Space you want/need ( it wasn’t till the third build when we went from a compact camper to Blimp Hanger inside .. all after the wife finally admitted being somewhat claustrophobic :o ... )
Find some floor space (open) and pile in all the stuff you’ll need to make you happy when camping ... see if it all fits ... mark off the space on the floor for floor size , then measure the height you can live with ... Start with a big enough box , then add to that ... :thinking:
As it’s worked out , a Foamie trailer is Light enough to be a little Bigger and more Comfortable than another type of camper construction .. Tows Easily, even being Bigger, and a little streamlining on the nose goes a long way ... FS , large as it is , tows like almost nothing there... ;) Couldn’t be Happier !!! :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby steveonzakon » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:51 am

GPW wrote:Find some floor space (open) and pile in all the stuff you’ll need to make you happy when camping ...

I guess I better include a space for the baby grand for the DW.
Campers are for sleeping in, almost everything else should happen outside.
steveonzakon
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:25 am

Theoretically possible ... :thinking: Might be tough to keep in tune ? ...Will have to measure mine and write that down ... But then you could build a side door that folded into a stage , and take the show on the road ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:53 pm

I'm thinking an upright might slide right into the FS just fine. Block that sucker up, strap it down and head for Graceland! Downside is that you would lose a bit of ballast capacity... :beer: :frightened: :cry:

Maybe not the same thing, but ya' think she might be able to rough it with one of those much smaller and lighter lap/table top electric gizmos?

(Graceland? Memphis? Sure, why not; sounded good in my head when I thunk it up!)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:23 pm

I think even I-phones have an APP for that ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:16 pm

Forget the pianos. it is a Hammond B3 for this rocker wanna be.

8) Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:31 am

I can only recall that Cheech and Chong movie where the trailer pulls up , the side folds down into a stage , and the band starts playing ... :thumbsup: ;) 8) ... probably best done with a specifically built cargo style trailer... :thinking:

Despite what our wives want :roll: , it’s not always PRACTICAL to accommodate their wishes.. Sometimes you have to “Just Say NO !!!:o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GoTurtleGo » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Thank you for the tips, gentlemen. I plan to diligently follow them since you both have so much experience and success. I am learning to know the advice you two regularly dispense since you keep repeating it to people over and over again. You are both quite patient and have good teaching skills which I certainly appreciate and plan to benefit from!

Thank you, also, for your welcome atahoekid which you gave me on some other thread but I can't remember which one.

I love this place.

Cheers,
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:12 am

Once a year around this time we get a little nervous and do a little more with EVAC in mind ... much more than the rest of the year... :roll:
Been visiting the FoamStream on a regular basis ...checking that everything’s ready to go . I even have my LED Solar yard lights for the trailer interior , should they be needed and for “ground" lights just as a convenience. We’ve been experimenting with different types/brands, and the one common weakness in most all tested is the battery ... So for ultimate reliability , we’ve been changing all the cheap Ni-cads , out to the new Eneloop NIMH batteries , which we’ve tested /used daily for 3 years now and have performed flawlessly all around in everything from flashlights, Solar yard lights (used outside) to cameras,small radio , desk lights, and even an RC transmitter. :thumbsup: These really work and will save you a fortune in batteries over time ... They don’t mind regular (wall wart ) or solar charging ... I just ordered more to update the FS completely to Eneloops for all the small things ... We’ve tested a LOT of batteries and these work best for all those small battery powered things we use ... :thumbsup: Just being READY !!! :thinking:

Got some adapters so I can run them in my D and C cell LED flashlights too ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:03 pm

Hoping the weather's kind to you again this year. Just wish there were a way to control it... :roll:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:08 am

Mel, we’ve been very fortunate this season , with No storms of any kind in our area ... For which we are Thankful!!! :worship:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:46 am

Just ran across this ... the Foamie’ plane guys discussing the toxic fumes from cutting (hot wiring) foam. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1589660 Good bit of hot wiring went into the FS .... done Outside ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby loaderman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:38 pm

GPW - why the ribs on the inside and not in the wall? If you said I can not find it an do not remember.
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:47 am

LD , the ribs “could” have been in the wall , but that would have involved cutting and fitting styrofoam blocks between the ribs ... which I think would be a LOT more work ... :o The way it is now , I was able to assemble the ribs and stringers into a free-standing frame , and then cover it with the 3.5” thick foam ... Easy ... and actually , the exposed ribs with all the lightening holes are really pretty handy for hanging things , and running wires ... :thumbsup: 8) :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies