Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:01 pm

had a wonderful time this weekend. cold enough for a great fire and a heater.

now check out the pic, notice anything?
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:03 pm

TOWM , 159â€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:26 pm

i'm so glad you noticed those heads and the cover. it was so cool not to tarp this trip.

once i got home, i emptied it out. only thing still in there was the mattress. poly'd more of the wood. it dried and i stuck a microwave and the propane stove in the storage area. i am officially starting on a galley. since this was probably the last trip of the season, all the blankets are inside going thru the laudry for storage.
i am thinking about painting the wood. its starting to get black stains (or is that rot) on it.
i'm also getting ready for more work on the inside. so hopefully we will have a few more nice days to get more stuff done before it gets too cold.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Black stains :o That can’t be good .... best paint All that wood ... be sure to give it a light sanding first ...

I really like how the back folds down into a table ... 8) 8) 8) Altogether a really Good looking rig now, has “characterâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:38 pm

i like the frame your foamie is on. i would set it further forward or backwards, get as much space as possible for a deck for some reason. but your foamie looks really good. you have done some good detail work.

i will try to get a pic of that black staining. i agree, that can't be a good thing.. i know i can replace that counter/table flip down piece. but some of that black stuff in on my floor board in the storage area. so i really have to do something now with it before it rots or molds up.
i have checked the rest of the wood all over and everything else is fine.

i had an ant problem on that flip down counter. they were climbing up the tripod. so i stuck water bowls around the feet and sprayed with the only thing i had, off. later i had my electric water pot on it and i was getting ants again. i finally realized those little critters were crawling up the electric cord. so i moved the unit and no more problems.

now a few things learned for me this trip. i need a couple of shorter extension cords. well actually that is about it. lol i am pretty easy to please. oh one thing, i need to always bring my puter. i could have used it this weekend at night to just kick back and watch a movie. so i think i am going to incorporate a dvd player in there.
a wash bucket would have been useful also. washing in the freezing cold water wasnt fun. i survived because i did a lousy job on them and just brought them home to finish up. but a further away or a longer trip a wash bucket would have been needed. this trip i was only about 1/2 hour away from home.
i am going to redue my doors and framing area, i am going to be putting locks on the inside.
so really i don't need a lot. but just a few tweeks and i'll be all set for next year.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Tiredoldwhiteman » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:00 pm

eaglesdare wrote:had a wonderful time this weekend. cold enough for a great fire and a heater.

now check out the pic, notice anything?[SNIP]

Lookin' good! 'If one didn't know better they'd think its the holidays...

Right smart looking tear you've got there...Proud you should be, yes...
Tiredoldwhiteman
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tiredoldwhiteman » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:13 pm

[quote="GPW"]TOWM , 159â€
Tiredoldwhiteman
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:18 am

Eagle , I always thought a common bucket made a great Campers sink ... and when you’re not washing in it , it can also serve as a storage container (multitasking) ... I was all set with a Nice Rubbermaid double bucket , but it was so old ,the bottom fell out ... :o Looking for another one ...
Ants ... What’s camping without a few ants ??? I think they must like electricity , for some reason .... :thinking:
The more time you have to work on your trailer , the more the little things get done .. very enjoyable fine tuning the little things ... like a Hobby !!! :D
Ps , had some friends down from NJ , yesterday, they showed me their new I pad ... Looked Perfect for camping ... :thinking:

TOWM ... the plan is to move the axle to the rear a little , the holes are already drilled , but I do need to soak the old (rusted) bolts , and will likely have to replace them ...
Guess while I have the axle off , I’ll try to paint the trailer .. clean up the springs , and re do the bearings ... so I can start fresh when I put the cab on ... Moving the axle to the rear will give me a smaller rear deck , larger front deck ... room for all kinds of stuff ... I’ve been studying Pat G’s build , where he did essentially the same thing with a boat trailer , and it seems to work just Fine for him .. :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tiredoldwhiteman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:35 pm

GPW wrote:...been studying Pat G’s build , where he did essentially the same thing with a boat trailer , and it seems to work just Fine for him .. :thumbsup:

I just got back from having a look at their build...Clever usage of "excess" trailer :)

Looks pretty darned bueno...

As does yours...

Keep it comin'...We're greedy little buggers...
Tiredoldwhiteman
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:29 pm

Tiredoldwhiteman wrote:
eaglesdare wrote:had a wonderful time this weekend. cold enough for a great fire and a heater.

now check out the pic, notice anything?[SNIP]

Lookin' good! 'If one didn't know better they'd think its the holidays...

Right smart looking tear you've got there...Proud you should be, yes...

thank you.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Tiredoldwhiteman wrote:
I was doing a little surfing this afternoon and stumbled across: http://www.tealinternational.com/TealCamper/index.html

What really caught my eye was the way they skidded the unit on and off the trailer...I CAN see this working for a Foamie in a good way)...

May be worth looking into with your little camotearage...Neat thing about not permanently setting your tear on the trailer is you can get that baby balanced just perfect...

Set it, cinch it and go...Catch a few hundred pounds of fish (or drink up a few hundred pounds of libation) with no worry about upsetting your CG...Just shift the tear a little fore or aft and Bob's your uncle; balanced...

Or then again, maybe not...

Yup, that concept should work well for GPW. He can pick each end up one handed so it's actually light enough...maybe a small winch on the nose? (Probably use the winch on the boat trailer)

As far as the libations, I think the accepted standard around here is 500# of beer. Should be sufficient for ballast purposes :lol: 8) :lol:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:31 am

Mel , I may need the small winch just to get the bolts off :o ... They are So Rusted ,they don’t look like bolts anymore ... they look more like meteorites... :shock: ... 6 on each side , 2 for the springs , 4 for the fenders (those fenders are STOUT , even my fat A can sit on them without deflection :o ) Thinking the liquid wrench idea won’t help a bit , maybe a long cheater bar would work , maybe just cut em’ off... or burn em’ off with a stick welder ... The galvanized metal around it seems dingy but un corroded ... and I already removed the winch and column when I cut the loooong tongue off ...
I’ll try to get some pics ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tiredoldwhiteman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:57 pm

atahoekid wrote:...I think the accepted standard around here is 500# of beer.

One "Standard Tear Beer Unit. 1 STBU."

I believe lost weekends are a result of more than one STBU.

;)
Tiredoldwhiteman
Gold Donating Member

Postby RogHodge » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:11 pm

I believe I have “earnedâ€
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33547
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby Ratkity » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:44 pm

Welcome to the insanity, Rog!!!

I can't wait to see your build with foam.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies