PVC Foamie Cooler new pics 2/14

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: PVC Foamie Cooler new pics 2/14

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:09 am

Looking at that makes you think what you could do with a LARGER one , done the same way ... :thinking: .. a trailer perhaps ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:23 am

GPW wrote:Looking at that makes you think what you could do with a LARGER one , done the same way ... :thinking: .. a trailer perhaps ... :roll:

:lol: Just so happens I have a camper built out of PVC and foam, making plans to cover and do some remodel to the inside just as soon as it gets above freezing and I can walk a little better on my leg still recovering from acl surgery, I've been collecting stuff to make a quick finish before May's gathering. But I can work on the cooler in the house leaning on crutches.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby swampjeep » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:08 am

GPW wrote:Looking at that makes you think what you could do with a LARGER one , done the same way ... :thinking: .. a trailer perhaps ... :roll:

that's a heck of an idea, imagine how much beer you could take with you, and after drinking "x" amount, you could probably sleep in it.
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:13 am

You know, we have thought about PVC as a framing material for a long time now and discussed it to a point ... Jst, Nice to see you actually doing it 8) ... It fulfills one of the most basic of Foamie' Principles , which states : “Don’t use stuff that Rots !!! “ ...
Another benefit of PVC is the ability to heat bend it to most any shape you want , that potential alone is unlimited.. yet to be explored... We’ve all thought (me too ) wood for framing , but now there is another way , another path to foamie' enlightenment and low maintenance... :lol: :thumbsup: 8)

SJ, that’s a lotta’ Beer eh ? :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:13 pm

GPW wrote:You know, we have thought about PVC as a framing material for a long time now and discussed it to a point ... Jst, Nice to see you actually doing it 8) ... It fulfills one of the most basic of Foamie' Principles , which states : “Don’t use stuff that Rots !!! “ ...

GPW wrote: SJ, that’s a lotta’ Beer eh ? :beer:

Even in my younger days I don't think I could drink that much I know myself and a few friends have tried

Now just need un duck tape and canvas when the whether and knee permits

build thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56828
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:49 am

JST, that frame is Super !!! :thumbsup: Makes me think of coming up with a hot wire tool to cut /channel the foam to accept the PVC better , glue it all up solid ... :thinking:
Attachments
channel.png
channel.png (5.72 KiB) Viewed 284 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:25 am

GPW wrote:Makes me think of coming up with a hot wire tool to cut /channel the foam to accept the PVC better , glue it all up solid ... :thinking:

That's a cool idea and it would make a smoother edges and seams, you can see where all my round pvc is but I can live with it's still pretty comfortable compared to my last this one has the bed long ways instead of side ways.

I cut the foam snug and then ran a bead ok calk down each of the edges, it went through a pretty good rain storm at the CRA gathering last summer and only had on tiny drip by the roof vent and no tape lost. I'll fix the drip when I panel the inside and canvas it and it should hold up to about anything. We hit 65-70 pulling it and it pulls like a dream.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:51 am

I believe it’s been said , Duct tape is good for 200mph ... :roll: Waaaaaay more than we need eh ? ... :lol:
You know , it’s easy to flatten the tubing too ... I was thinking of that for attaching hinges , etc. for a non wood door frame ... Nice , as you can flatten only certain areas and leave the rest just pipe to fit into the commercial PVC fittings... Flattened ends can be bent 90 degrees for attachment to the floor directly ... :thinking:
In some instances , we could cut a half circle channel , and laminate the PVC between 2 layers of foam .. leaving the ends to be "plugged in" .. A wall with a built in frame in the middle ... many possibilities ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Sounds like you can form PVC pipe just like you could steel/aluminum tubing. HMMMMM. The possibilities are endless! :thinking: :thinking:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:43 pm

Mel,just a decent heat gun, a board and a little imagination , you can bend it any which way you want ... Check this guy out ... He does all sorts of tortuous things to PVC pipe and shows how STRONG it really is . :o
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... yardbowyer
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:27 pm

I've been reading that if you pack it with sand then cap the ends (not glued) you can bend it with the heat gun without it kinking on you. Might try somthing like that for the box on the front of my camper to get a rounded top.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:12 pm

Bends easily without kinking , with or without sand ... just the heat ... Once you’ve tried it you’ll see ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:17 pm

GPW wrote:Bends easily without kinking , with or without sand ... just the heat ... Once you’ve tried it you’ll see ... ;)

I just couldn't get a good bend for anythining when I was doing the front of the duck tear, I was originally gonna go with the rounded front but wound up going with the I guess it's the weekender style front. I was using a heat gun guess I'll have to play around a little with it. :thinking:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:09 pm

It takes a few minutes to get noodle' soft , helps if you make some kind of Tin foil heat reflector ... V shaped , the pipe sits in ... Gotta’ keep the heat gun moving , scorching the pipe weakens it ... Watch the videos ^ ... Everything is there about heating and bending ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby cpinetree » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:15 pm

This company - http://www.thepipeviper.com/

Makes a cold bender for smaller size pvc.I tried one at a trade show and they work pretty well. A lot quicker than heating for simple bends, obviously you can not do any flattening with it.

At work, for 2" and larger pipe, I use pipe plugs. Similar to these - http://www.greenlee.com/products/PLUG-S ... t_id=18470

They are rubber stoppers that screw in the end, trapping the expanded hot air, reducing the possibility of kinking the pipe. They work really well.
Definitely not thrifty, although I am sure something similar could be cobbled together.
cpinetree
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies