Mini Fithwheel Foamie for S10 pickup

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Mini Fithwheel Foamie for S10 pickup

Postby swampjeep » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:08 am

not that this is exactly what you are doing here, but I thought of this video when I seen this thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGeUSjRMlQ4
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby ebutler » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:41 am

Back in the middle seventies I saw something similar at the street rod nationals in Memphis if I relall correctly. The hitch was built into the interior and only the ball and safety chain mounts were visible on the outside. That has stuck with me for some reason. I think it was a mid 30's ford.
Elmo
Build Stuff Or Perish
ebutler
Teardrop Builder

Postby atahoekid » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:16 pm

My biggest concern about any fifth wheel is the aerodynamic drag. So keeping it within the track of your TV is a smart thing but the bigger issue is how high you go. The taller it is, the bigger the parachute you're pulling down the road. I need to figure out the best height and design compromising headroom in the bedroom vs. aerodynamic drag. Whattya wanna bet my wife has an opinion??? :? :shock: :oops: :cry:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ebutler » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:52 pm

Wives always have an opinion?
Could be a air deflector? would work. That is what I will try.
You have seen them on big rigs and on some pickups towing trailers.
Make one of foam and glass it over?
Elmo
Build Stuff Or Perish
ebutler
Teardrop Builder

Postby atahoekid » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:43 pm

HMMM ! :thinking: :thinking:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ebutler » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Looks like I am headed into uncharted waters. I can find no info on building or designing a fifth wheel trailer.
Guess I'll be the test pilot on this one. I haven't tried to find gooseneck trailer info yet. May get a little help there.
Elmo. :pipe:
Build Stuff Or Perish
ebutler
Teardrop Builder

Postby loaderman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:58 pm

http://www.glen-l.com/campers/5wheels.html
From what I read it is plans for the 5th wheeel and camper, perhaps you could adapt.
I have not seen them so I am just providing info not endorsing it.
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:26 am

Guys , JMHO, but that seems like an Awful lot of trouble and expense to make and tow a small trailer like that ... :roll: It would appear that no matter what you build the cabin from , that’s only secondary to the Frame , which seems to take a lot of engineering to get right ... The trailer frame is EVERYTHING on these ... Getting it wrong could be a disappointment ... then , there’s getting it on /off the hitch ... and having that receiver mounted in the back of the pickup , taking up all that space... and then storage. I dunno’ :NC .... Just seems like there are easier (much easier) ways to accomplish/tow a camper , and especially a foamie' , where the goals are usually much different (Simpler) ... :roll:

Now then, if you’re taking this as a personal challenge , well then , that’s different ... Have at it !!! :beer:

Ps. a quick Google of trailer frames produced many fifth wheel frame pictures ... some appearing to be surprisingly bereft of framework as described above... Hmmmm??? :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ebutler » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:18 am

I did that search and viewed the pics. It appears that weigh is sometimes more important
Than durability to the manufactures. Reminds me of your rants GPW. There are many instances
Of frame failures on fifth wheel frames in the hitch area on the internet.
A fifth wheel Foamie certainly appears to be at the other end of simplicity from your Foam Stream!
BTW I really like the foam Stream.
Elmo :thumbsup:
Build Stuff Or Perish
ebutler
Teardrop Builder

Postby ebutler » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:27 am

loaderman wrote:http://www.glen-l.com/campers/5wheels.html
From what I read it is plans for the 5th wheeel and camper, perhaps you could adapt.
I have not seen them so I am just providing info not endorsing it.

I have a set of the 29' fifth wheel plans from GlenL I bought them about 12 years ago.
Too heavy and too much fuel to tow for me now. That being said I am thinking of getting the
19' foot plans for inspiration, should be able to adapt as you said. Surely a space type frame would be much lighter.
Elmo
Build Stuff Or Perish
ebutler
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:44 am

Elmo , Thanks !!! I Like the idea of your powered bent’ ... :thumbsup: 8) 8) 8)
I believe the manufacturers spend more time maximizing their Profits , rather than providing a superior frame ... or much anything else ... :roll: Nobody but we “ DIY trailer folks” seems to obsess over the fine details that make it last and service free for a loooong time ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:55 am

You're right GPW, it is a lot of trouble but part of it is the challenge. I'd like a fifth wheel because when I get pushing toward retirement, I'd like to go out on extended trips so more room would be good, but I like the idea of a shorter overall length without compromising room and space. You mentioned (and I agree) that trusting a manufacturer will only lead to problems. I like my travels to be trouble free. I trust me, I don't trust manufacturers. If I think I can pull it off, I will likely be doing it. If not, I'm stuck compromising.
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:22 am

Mel, being retired now , find myself wanting smaller and simpler ... On my larger commercial trailer , I had to “inspect" it often for things that shouldn’t have happened... :roll: Climbing ladders isn’t good for old folks ... :frightened: Just sayin’ ... The challenge is interesting though , but more a design/ welding consideration Thinking I’d trust KC’s design (drawing^) rather than what is commercially produced (for profit) ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby kludge » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:07 am

Why not put on a truck cap and built a trailer to ride in the slip stream? Same amount of space, a lot less work, less drag than a 5th wheel.
kludge
Teardrop Master

Postby atahoekid » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:13 pm

kludge wrote:Why not put on a truck cap and built a trailer to ride in the slip stream? Same amount of space, a lot less work, less drag than a 5th wheel.

I have a cap on my truck now but having contiguous space and enough of it appeals to me. Part of the issue is that the wife is ready to drop BIG money on a commercial rig. The problem with that has been well discussed on the board but she doesn't see it. I'm trying to convince her that home built is feasible and actually superior to commercial. She also likes a fifth wheel set up over a trailer. If I can convince her that I can build a 5th wheel, that's the only fight I have to take on. Otherwise, it's two fights. Handcrafted vs. commercial and 5er vs trailer.
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies