Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby starleen2 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:51 am

Wolffarmer wrote:OT post. Here is out of the box, lightweight, non traditional thinking.

Paris

Randy

Cool video Randy :thumbsup:
paper?? :roll: :thinking:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:35 am

my little 6lb dog had to be put down. she had paralysis really bad, could barely stand on her own anymore. then she started losing control of her bowels. so i made the decision to put her down.
it seems strange around here now, not to have my 2 little dogs. i now have only my 2 bigger ones.

simba has to be going thru his terrible 2's. he is really trying to challenge my authority, he can be very stubborn.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:11 am

eaglesdare wrote:my little 6lb dog had to be put down. she had paralysis really bad, could barely stand on her own anymore. then she started losing control of her bowels. so i made the decision to put her down.
it seems strange around here now, not to have my 2 little dogs. i now have only my 2 bigger ones.

simba has to be going thru his terrible 2's. he is really trying to challenge my authority, he can be very stubborn.

I'm so sorry to hear she was having so much trouble, but I know she is running around with no restrictions now over the rainbow bridge. Give extra hugs to the bad boy Simba for me!! Sounds like he needs a good long run. Can you attach him to the hubby when he goes running? LOL.

Mine are all being lazy and hanging by the gas fireplace today.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:39 pm

On a lighter note, the guy from the zoopoxy place replied to my email and suggested a water based epoxy that is made for foam that dries very hard and is 48 a gallon and would take between 3 and 4 gallons on avg to coat a camper. Could apply directly to the foam and no fabric would be needed and is water based and not toxic. I'll get a sample of it and get to testing soon and maybe try a stab at some of their flexible products as well and see how that goes.

Nice to see all the different options starting to form on here as we convert the industry to foamology.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

`

Postby droid_ca » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:05 pm

wow a waterproof water based epoxy that sounds like it might have some potential I wonder how strong it is as it might even be good for doing decorative pieces on some of the trailers like vardos for instance and doing corbels and what not I wonder how thin of a coat you have to but on inorder to make it hard .....eaglesdare Sorry about you loosing your loved one
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:34 pm

AQUA-GEM is a water-based epoxy coating specially formulated for use as a hard coat for polystyrene and urethane foam surfaces. AQUA-GEM can be mixed with sand to create a thicker and very solid impact-resistant surface. AQUA-GEM’s unique water base formulation allows for ease of application over other hard coatings. When thickened with the Polygem Thickening Agent the AQUA-GEM will not stick to a trowel like other epoxy formulations. AQUA-GEM is ideal for use on damp and porous surfaces and can be used as a primer on hard to bond to surfaces. Add extra water to AQUA-GEM for use as a deep penetrating sealer for porous surfaces.

PROPERTIES OF AQUA-GEM
Pot Life @ 77ï‚°F (100 gms) 50 mins.
Thin Film Set-Time @ 77ï‚°F 6 hours
Re-coat Time 4-5 hours
Hardness 75+ Shore D
VOC 0 %
Elongation ASTM D-638 4.3% min.
Mix ratio by volume B/A 2:1
Mixed Viscosity 1300 cps
Color Cured Clear Gloss

Mixing Instructions
Mix 2 Parts of Part B with 1 Part of Part A by volume. Mix until streak free and uniform in color. Apply by brush or roller. Sand, thickeners other fillers may be added to create a sculptable mortar coats for extra durability. Add up to 50% more water by volume to the mixture for sealer-coating applications.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Imagine thinning this a little so it goes further and then applying it over foam coat with just boost additive that has been painted a flat painted color and then apply this clear gloss over the outside to seal and harden it all. Might have some serious potential there or just over the foam and then paint the epoxy. Very interesting indeed and water based and 0 VOC is just awesome.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby atahoekid » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:15 pm

eaglesdare wrote:my little 6lb dog had to be put down. she had paralysis really bad, could barely stand on her own anymore. then she started losing control of her bowels. so i made the decision to put her down.

It's always a bad day when you lose a member of the family. My condolences... :cry: :cry: :cry:

If you're like me, you'll start looking at the shelters and kennels for one to fill the void. I keep saying I don't want any more animals but life's no fun without them. I've got a house full of pets. :) :) :)
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:23 pm

linuxmanxxx wrote:On a lighter note, the guy from the zoopoxy place replied to my email and suggested a water based epoxy that is made for foam that dries very hard and is 48 a gallon and would take between 3 and 4 gallons on avg to coat a camper. Could apply directly to the foam and no fabric would be needed and is water based and not toxic. I'll get a sample of it and get to testing soon and maybe try a stab at some of their flexible products as well and see how that goes.

Sounds promising. I like the price too Can it be painted? Any flex or give to it? Keep us posted
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:45 pm

Louella
sorry............

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:32 pm

atahoekid wrote:Sounds promising. I like the price too Can it be painted? Any flex or give to it? Keep us posted
Yes it can be painted and it is pretty dang hard so the flex and give really shouldn't be needed as long as it adheres to the foam as good as advertised. The shore hardness scale is showing harder than a plastic standard hardhat so it is very hard indeed. I'm thinking flat paint on foam and then this over it since it's a clear gloss be just like a high glossed color on the camper. Same thing the auto industry does with base coat clear coat to get the shiny auto finishes.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby bonnie » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:31 am

I'm sorry to hear of this loss. I'm down to one big dog and she's a doll, but it is quiet.

Bonnie
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:12 pm

We take in “rescueâ€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:30 pm

Apparently on the canoes the lagging compound is what they are using as an alternative filler on the canvas so they won't have to wait a week for the usual stuff they use to harden and set completely.

If we use something sticky enough and hard enough no canvas would even be needed as the hard substance becomes the outer skin and strength.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby atahoekid » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:24 pm

GPW wrote: Back to trailers ... and smooth finishes .... I don’t know if we ever discussed Primers and Fillers... But if you want a Smooth finish on your Canvas , a couple coats of thick primer , well sanded , can make a very smooth surface ... I’ve been doing that for years with artist canvas ... providing a nice smooth surface to paint on (no weave showing) ... Pretty simple , easy with a palm sander on a large area ... Just a thought ... :thinking:

OK, how much longer were you planning to hold back this little gem of information??? :o :lol: :o :lol:

I have really looked at alternative coating issues mostly to try to get the smooth finish. I know you and others think I'm crazy for worrying about it, but I just can't help it. This simple solution may prove to be the best solution. Time to hit the garage and try some samples. If I might ask, what weight of canvas did you use on the trailer?
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies