Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:57 am

The Linux person has mentioned several other glues, some that he has used and/or tested. Has anyone else tried those on a test or something? I have just looked at the glue thread and do not see a mention of them.

I will probably order my axles in a day or two. I already have most of the needed iron, plywood for the base. Two sheets of foam, have used one sheet in a foamie type of project. :D

No pics of it yet but i am ready to start putting down some bed sheet, maybe canvas. but only after I get junk room No 1 cleaned out enough so I can do it inside the house. I am in Idaho and my shop is metal skinned and no insulation. So that does tell you that my project will fit through a normal door. Well, any door that I can fit through.

:oops:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:15 am

JMHO, still think the glued canvas with latex paint over it is still the easiest and simplest method for those that are concerned with Practicality and best bang for the buck ... ;) I’ve never given up on that idea !!! Waaay easier than anything else for me ... :thumbsup: Non toxic, safe enough to have the kiddies help with ... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:32 am

Wolffarmer wrote:The Linux person has mentioned several other glues, some that he has used and/or tested. Has anyone else tried those on a test or something? I have just looked at the glue thread and do not see a mention of them.

I will probably order my axles in a day or two. I already have most of the needed iron, plywood for the base. Two sheets of foam, have used one sheet in a foamie type of project. :D

No pics of it yet but i am ready to start putting down some bed sheet, maybe canvas. but only after I get junk room No 1 cleaned out enough so I can do it inside the house. I am in Idaho and my shop is metal skinned and no insulation. So that does tell you that my project will fit through a normal door. Well, any door that I can fit through.

:oops:

Randy

perhaps linux could post on the glues thread for us :thinking: :D
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:41 am

Ooh Ooh !!! Check this out !!! Canvas , all styles and sizes ... http://stores.ebay.com/chicago-canvas Oh the possibilities... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:49 am

Ooooooo, They have gaffers tape! Could come in handy Guerrilla Gluing the foam.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:10 am

How about their Jute webbing ??? Want cinch straps ??? Just build em’ into the trailer ... 8) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Line-9lb-3 ... _500wt_705

May be nice over seams ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:29 pm

GPW should those two sites be posted in one of the stickies?
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:47 pm

hey glenn, i have been thinking about the built in cinch strap idea. i like that thought a lot.
now my only problem i see, at least in my foamie, is that cinch won't go all the way round from front to back. with the hatch in the back, the cinch wouldn't beable to go there. but i am certaintly thinking about it, and a way around that hatch problem.
so perhaps a partial front and 2 sides? :thinking:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:09 pm

over build seems to keep being a standard issue around here.....if you build it right no need to cinch anything or anyone down. If you use a glue that will not come apart for the foam to foam and you adhere it to the floor correctly and then attach the floor correctly, your camper will be just fine and never come apart.

So then its back to can you spend too much on good glue.....not a chance.....read glue specs for sheer strength and what the ratings are at what temps and most important what materials the glue is supposed to bond and what the ratings are for the materials.

If you are doing around 70mph and your glue starts coming apart.....no little cinch straps are gonna save your bacon very much because wind force is strong and when it starts coming apart it has even more surface to catch wind and more edges......you get the point.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby atahoekid » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:30 pm

GPW wrote:Mel , I thought I mentioned this a Long time ago ... :o Primer is inexpensive ... and if you want you can get THICK primer like “latex concrete block fill “ ... which makes even concrete blocks smooth ( I used it on my house)... I have no idea what weight the canvas I used was , it wasn’t that heavy , but it was Linen canvas ... Much stronger than cotton ... and probably too expensive for trailer use , but I had a lot of it just sitting around .... so it got used ... I only used one coat of primer (Kilz -water based) , but several coats and a little block sanding in between would have made it smooth ... ;) Easy , inexpensive ... :thumbsup:

OK this shows to go ya how badly deficient my brain has become. You did mention it and I even made some samples. If it weren't for wolffarmer asking a question about the test, I'd have forgotten all about it. And oh, BTW... I think this could work real nicely. I only got one coat of Kilz 2 as a primer on it but it filled in the weave quite nicely. As soon as I get the can of Kilz 2 back up to room temp, I'm putting on coat #2. Should provide a nice smooth coat without a ton of extra work or $$$.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:44 pm

atahoekid wrote:OK this shows to go ya how badly deficient my brain has become. You did mention it and I even made some samples. If it weren't for wolffarmer asking a question about the test, I'd have forgotten all about it. And oh, BTW... I think this could work real nicely. I only got one coat of Kilz 2 as a primer on it but it filled in the weave quite nicely. As soon as I get the can of Kilz 2 back up to room temp, I'm putting on coat #2. Should provide a nice smooth coat without a ton of extra work or $$$.
Ok now remember you are talking about latex based primers and fillers so they will not be very hard once dry.

I'm just thinking if you scratch against a branch or anything with that soft of a primer underneath it will just tear it right off the canvas or down to the glue surface rather easily. I'm still wanting and looking for a hard exterior that is inexpensive and easy to apply and most importantly hold up real well under some abuse.

I'm still leaning to shaping foam how I want it fill in any cracks, paint it with like water based enamel and then hit it with a coat of the hard clear water based epoxy exterior. Looks good and simple to apply and less than $300 for exterior durable nice looking surface unless the epoxy will yellow under UV then I'd simply reverse and epoxy over foam and then paint the epoxy.

Water based enamel coats better than latex and sticks to metal or other surfaces that latex has serious problems with sticking to.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Quote: "over build seems to keep being a standard issue around here" ... :o

Naa Unh !!! :R :roll: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:33 am

linuxmanxxx wrote:
atahoekid wrote:OK this shows to go ya how badly deficient my brain has become. You did mention it and I even made some samples. If it weren't for wolffarmer asking a question about the test, I'd have forgotten all about it. And oh, BTW... I think this could work real nicely. I only got one coat of Kilz 2 as a primer on it but it filled in the weave quite nicely. As soon as I get the can of Kilz 2 back up to room temp, I'm putting on coat #2. Should provide a nice smooth coat without a ton of extra work or $$$.
Ok now remember you are talking about latex based primers and fillers so they will not be very hard once dry.

I'm just thinking if you scratch against a branch or anything with that soft of a primer underneath it will just tear it right off the canvas or down to the glue surface rather easily.

I'm not sure if I agree or not but it will be worth taking the primed and painted sample and put some abuse to it and see how it holds up. Nothing like empirical evidence!!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:11 am

atahoekid wrote:I'm not sure if I agree or not but it will be worth taking the primed and painted sample and put some abuse to it and see how it holds up. Nothing like empirical evidence!!
Well they don't use latex primer and paint on cars, boats, and campers for a reason due to it's lack of ability to take abuse and stay adhered to its surface. It's common sense paintology 101. I put the paint and then cover it with epoxy I can take a high pressure wand and spray the camper all day and not hurt the finish at all. I put canvas and latex paints on it then it peels under high pressure within minutes.

Yeah sure throw the argument its cheap and easy to repair, but about the 2nd or 3rd repair it is looking like something bound for one of these redneck emails floating around on the internet. 200 to 300 dollars extra can make the difference in something lasting and looking the same for 10 to 15 yrs vs flaws and issues arising within 2 to 3 yrs.

I just want to be the voice of reason that says remember that you get what you pay for in life and a LOT of assumptions are being made on things not even a yr old so far and the one used extensively already has issues and we can't say if its straps or not caused it because as of yet I don't believe anyone else has built a foamy and used it extensively outside eagle's foamketeer.

Sure someone has to take the leap of faith and start using different things and trying them out but honestly we have no idea of how hardy or not hardy all these methods slinging around are going to wind up being. Seems to be more people waiting than building these so far.

Maybe we should just build a bunch of mini mock ones and take them to a car wash and hit with high pressure with the different ideas and see what does and doesn't fail and time to fail if they do. That's far more abusive than normal driving and usage would ever subject one to...well except maybe a hurricane or tornado and then hey things don't look good for it surviving either of those anyways.

The good news in all this is because of the internet we all have a lot more exposure to new products and technologies for thinking outside the box than ever before so evolving this old canoe building technology into a foam camper with some farout ideas for exterior coatings is pretty darn cool stuff.

So a quick review of the necessities of a canvas build that would be durable very low maintenance and last bookoo yrs would be:
1. Make sure the canvas adheres to the foam (tb2 or tb3 will not provide this latex paints does better but remember isn't a glue) so best life would be use a glue that would bond foam (canvas is not a problem because it is porous and would absorb the glue). 2 proven glues so far are HWFF foam fusion and 3M 30NF contact cement GG would just foam too much as well as can't get it in bulk big enough to cover a camper.
2. Seal the outside of the canvas with something hard to both add strength and add better protection. (tb2 on prev builds has been doing this step alt solutions now are foamcoat with additives, styroplast, and epoxy coated shell)
3. Final paint/epoxy/sealant coating (depends on how the first layers were done)
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:01 am

Steve , I respectfully disagree... :o How do you know it doesn’t work if you haven’t built one ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies