Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ... Building Foam TDs

Postby pete42 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:23 am

with what we call a saber saw it would not take much to cut and remove the boards.
I don't think you care if the boards are saved or not, but saving them would make them available for other things.
once the boards are removed you may need to use a angle-grinder to remove the metal welded pieces
I'm sure they only spot welded them and didn't run a bead the full length.
removing the boards would make getting the angle off much easier not easy but easier.
you guys sound like me and my late wife we did not work well together on projects.
you both should remember it's only a trailer, pretty small thing compared to the world's problems.
sit down have a cool one and talk it out.

or tell me to mind my own business and fly off............. :D

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:27 am

he just got up and is in a better more agreeable mood. :lol: he says, i win, the wood goes. :D
now to get him to actually do it. :roll:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:47 am

eaglesdare wrote:he just got up and is in a better more agreeable mood. :lol: he says, i win, the wood goes. :D
now to get him to actually do it. :roll:

:applause: :applause: :applause:

You made a lot of compromises on your first foamie. This is the one you want to do perfectly, right? I'm glad the wood goes.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Still no trailer pics as of yet .... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:49 am

Glad to hear the extra wood is going. A lighter floor will be just fine and why put up with the extra weight. Once it's outta there, the problem is solved. It's only wood and since there aren't any mechanical fasteners involved it should be pretty easy. Just sometimes things are harder to accomplish than originally thought and us guys get pissy about doing it at all. At least that's what happens when my wife wants something done and I know she doesn't realize all the work that she's committed me to. Perhaps it's a genetic thing? :NC :NC 8) 8) :o :o But since you've done all the research, you should be able to get it done the way you want!!!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:18 am

Maybe the next time , we need to actually confer with the one who is actually doing the Work , and not the one pointing the finger ... :roll: Yeah, I get “the finger” all the time , and have to resort to Logic to talk my way out of it !!! :lol:

I believe there was a mention floating around here espousing the virtue of getting the RIGHT trailer from the get go ... eliminating a Lot of work (for Hubby) after the fact ... :rainy:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:31 am

but....i would have had to special order that right trailer. i would have had to put down my money up front, and then wait, wait, wait. 4 to 8 weeks. she said they had to have full trailers before they would deliver and that could take a long time. putting 50 bucks down wouldn't bother me, but this amount of money bothers me.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:51 am

Not to Worry !!! We “old “ people don’t like to wait either , not knowing how much time we have left , we want it NOW !!! This condition gets Worse , the older you are ... :lol: True !!! :frightened:

Besides ,there must be at least 4 more weeks left till camping season (according to the groundhog) :wine:

So Hubby got “the finger” ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:09 am

yeah hubby got the finger. :D not the bad finger people! :lol: he must be in a really great mood this morning. he said he is going to try and remove the wood today. either a good mood, or he ran out of his own stuff to do. ;)

and i have decided not to do the torsion box floor. i think it will be too difficult for me, espeically with that boxed frame in there. the wood slides into the sides, that is going to cause a problem if i am off at all on the build. so just sliding the boards down into the framed box area is going to be hard enough. (i know that did not make sense). so we are just going to get plywood and cut that to fit inside the lips/frame/box what ever word we want to use here.

i'll try to get a pic today. but you know its pretty cold out there, and wet from our slush we got over night. i don't mind snow too much, but i hate slush.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:52 am

That’ll work !!! Simple !!! If you use 3/4” for the sides and lip /shelf , shouldn’t be that heavy ... 8) Use the lighter grade of ply (mine weighed a TON ) and waterproof it before you bolt it to the floor and side railings ... you know all this !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:53 am

I was going to ask how much snow you guys got it missed us here in Ohio.

way to go Glenn bringing up the part about getting the right trailer from day one. :)

it's a good thing you live far far away or she might have put knots on your head with one of those
boards her hard working do anything for her husband is going to remove......... :D

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:05 am

Pete, I figured I was a a safe distance ... :frightened: Not like I haven’t been through this before , regarding getting the right trailer.. :roll: I have several trailers on the property that “could have been “ if only I took more time to analyze Before buying impulsively ... cost me Big Bucks, and will cost More to “get right” :cry: ...Sure don’t want others to make my mistakes eh ... only reason I mention it :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:14 am

pete42 wrote:I was going to ask how much snow you guys got it missed us here in Ohio.

way to go Glenn bringing up the part about getting the right trailer from day one. :)

it's a good thing you live far far away or she might have put knots on your head with one of those
boards her hard working do anything for her husband is going to remove......... :D

pete

ok all you men, that is one of the things hubby and i had a spat about. but i AM NOT a patient person. i want INSTANT gratification. if i can't get the particular item i want, well thats just an osbtacle. just work around it and continue. improvise where needed, modify as needed. if there is a will there is a way.

now about that boxed in frame/lip part. i was just thinking of stuffing the foam in there as my filler and then just lay the ply down flush with that. it seems like it will be a pita to try and get the floor to fit inside that frame properly. this way i remove that problem. and it will be just like laying a floor onto a normal frame.
but until hubby does what he has to do, i won't know for sure. i have to beable to see it and contemplate it for a minute or two.

not sure what if anything i will get done today. i have housework to do (which btw i hate!) i would rather work on the trailer, that is the only plus about cleaning though, it is warmer in here.

we did not get much snow, we had so much rain that when the snow finally came, it just turned to mush. yucky stuff. but most of that is gone now. heck even simba didn't like it, and he loves snow.

oh i did notice that the wheels are placed a bit farther back than in the middle. so does that mean that i should try to keep the heavier items in the back? or should i try for the heavier items in the front? please don't give me technical terms, please put it into laymen (laywomens, old lady at that) terms. :wine:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:16 am

... the wheels are supposed to be like that ... just put your gear where you need to to balance ... all about tongue weight ... but I guess that opens the door to er, another discussion ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:40 am

GPW wrote:... the wheels are supposed to be like that ... just put your gear where you need to to balance ... all about tongue weight ... but I guess that opens the door to er, another discussion ... :o

that did not help me one bit! :lol:

with my other trailer the wheels were pretty much in the middle, so i did try to balance it out with stuff in the front and back. but with the wheels more towards the back, i wasn't sure if i should be putting more weight in front. i don't carry a lot of stuff anyway, but just wondering about that balance issue.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies