Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ... Building Foam TDs

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:57 am

I just got a remnant scrap of carpet (20 bucks) for my floor at the carpet store
.... but then I’m not very artistic ... just Cheap !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :R

So many possibilities huh ??? :thinking: :thumbsup: 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:20 am

Remnant of linoleum 65 and carpet 15 where did I go lol
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:52 am

Eagle , I guess you’ll have to put a rug over that Nice floor now , just to keep it nice ... :thumbsup: Maybe only in the “high traffic” area ? Maybe like a Welcome mat for initial dirt removal ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:10 am

Louella are you planning on leaving your floor looking like that??????????????????????????????

because it looks fab-u-lous baby........

super job when I heard paper bag floor I thought what the heck?
not at all what I imagined .

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:33 am

i have the feeling i am going to add a little "mickey" touch to it. and since its right smack dab in the middle of my living room, its getting a work out from human traffic as well as the dog traffic. so far, so good. no tears or anything. i don't want to put a rug on top of this, to me it defeats the purpose. but remember i have my deck, so all shoes will be kept outside. barefeet, or sock feet "should" be all that walks across it.

now the brown paper bag floor looks really good in its own rights, without the color paper. hubby wants me now to finish the laundry room like this. it really is not hard at all. the brown paper bag is easier than the colored floor though. you don't have to worry about the same color on top of the same color, or creating a pattern. just wrinkle that brown paper up and slap it down. :lol:

and if you did not read my write up, you can sand the brown paper, to get a real nice smoothness, although it will not look smooth. not sure if you could sand it with the poly though. when i used the brown paper i used the elmers glue. so i am not sure if poly vs glue makes a difference as far as sanding goes. i can not sand the paper that i am using once its down. additional sanding will ruin the pattern in the paper (i tried to see what would happen).

i am still waiting on my order of 2 more packs of this paper. the company i ordered from is sure taking its time sending it.

thank you all for your nice comments on the floor. we must thank sharon for doing her floor originally in the brown paper bag.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:21 am

oh my, what has happened to our thread? no one has posted in 2 days. :lol:

well tomorrow is our build weekend. not sure how much we will get done, but i am sure we'll do what we can. wish us luck, rain right now is 50/50, so we might have to move the trailer into the ponies run-in. i've got food and supplies to still buy, and a house to get straightened up (notice i did not say clean? :lol: )
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:30 am

I have my axles, wheels, wheel adapters. I got some more iron last week. I need to make a cutting board before I really get to building on a trailer. I should have more plans this time but doubt that will happen.

Have fun on your build day. Don't get stuck to your work.
:lol:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:44 am

Not surprising the response is limited , we’ve all said just about Everything we could about Foamie trailers ... Not like it’s all that complicated ... We’ve covered every design/construction aspect and basic scenario that’s possible , and sometimes improbable, with a Trailer made of foam ... Now it’s all up to those that choose to make a new Foamie to tell "the rest of the story" ... :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:30 am

eaglesdare wrote:now the brown paper bag floor looks really good in its own rights, without the color paper. hubby wants me now to finish the laundry room like this. it really is not hard at all. the brown paper bag is easier than the colored floor though. you don't have to worry about the same color on top of the same color, or creating a pattern. just wrinkle that brown paper up and slap it down. :lol:

Eagle it's all perception.........you go to all this trouble for a floor that will mostly be covered yet got frustrated building the floor..........wich did you spend more time on?
Steve
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:35 am

Heres my progress yesterday. Have sides left to skin then also the aluminum on then install door and window then moulding rear lights and be done.
uploadfromtaptalk1333028782382.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1333028782382.jpg (242.43 KiB) Viewed 609 times
uploadfromtaptalk1333028738447.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1333028738447.jpg (253.34 KiB) Viewed 609 times
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:38 am

Heres inside almost complete.
uploadfromtaptalk1333028937289.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1333028937289.jpg (215.79 KiB) Viewed 619 times
uploadfromtaptalk1333028899722.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1333028899722.jpg (256.18 KiB) Viewed 619 times
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby SteveW » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:12 am

I have a coupler and tongue jack sitting in my garage. Steel for the trailer is being delivered tomorrow. My hitch for my car should be arriving this weekend or early next week and the Dexter axle by the end of next week. :) Then the fun part begins!
Steve
The build is on.
SteveW
Teardrop Master

Postby atahoekid » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:08 am

I've been workin on the Road Foamie this week since I had to take my last week of vacation from last year or lose it. Not great timing since I seem to spend about half a day every day rehabbing the shoulder, but it's getting close to right. That and cash flow is terrible right now. Me and the IRS are not good friends. Not a lot to show for quite a few hours in the garage, lots of stuff getting done, but nothing picture worthy yet. I will have something to show for all the effort by Sunday evening. Too busy working to do a lot of posting.... 8) 8) 8) Enought time for a quick read of new posts and back at it.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby crumbruiser » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:16 am

I'm in the process of putting oil base paint on the underside of my floor. Put a coat on, wait.........12 to 24 hours........put another coat on. I can't wait to flip that floor over and get on with the fun stuff! :D
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:43 pm

I made progress on my off road swivel coupler last night
and am spending time adding my suspension hangers to TPCE computer model; figuring out my axle dimensions and finalizing spring over or under decision.

‘The Wrecking Balls’ cleaned up the ‘Sprint to Spring’ competition with a combined 4 person weight loss of 86 lbs (8.5%) we took the grand prize of $400 each. The next closest team was 5.1%. Combined, 39 people lost 300 lbs. :thumbsup:

The prize money is going directly into my axle. :twisted:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies