Thrifty Alternatives ..Building Foam Campers

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Thrifty Alternatives ... Building Foam TDs

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:01 pm

I’m baking spaghetti squash with the thighs ... not allowed real spaghetti any more ... The Diet ... :o All the Fun stuff Gone ,nothing white ... at least I can still have charred flying dinosaur descendant flesh .. :thumbsup: and lots of Salad ... MOO !!!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:47 pm

hey gpw, that is a great trailer! can't wait to see what you will end up doing with it.

just got home from out 3rd trip. it was fantastic. beautiful place. i even took a hike to the water fall. i took very few photos this time. we had a pretty good thunder storm, but i was totally prepared and all was well. i even got to meet paul from here. its always great to see others from out sites.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Yeah Eagle , getting that trailer was just Dumb Luck !!! :lol: 8)

Glad you had a Good Time ... but more pics please !!! :pictures: How did the new mods work out ?
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:26 pm

oh wow, those mods did wonders! i can't believe that i used to put all that stuff in my car, and then wonder why i couldn't find anything. i was never organized. still not completely organized but it was a pleasure now to find stuff. i got an award for "most well equipped kitchen without a sink". LOL so now i guess i need to put in a kitchen sink! :lol:

oh guess what? we went across the nose bleed bridge! hahahaha

our set up (the only pic of my site. )

went on a 1.4 mile hike to cunningham falls. i only made it one way, it was pretty steep stuff for me. i was also not prepared for a hike, but i did it anyway even with only my flip flops. although, my hubby tripped more than me. hehehe

this was the water fall

and one tired puppy

even though it was pretty steep, and i only had flip flops on, i made it. but made hubby go back alone to fetch the car for me. 8)

thats all i got.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:49 pm

Great Shots !!! Thanks !!! Even the Bridge .... :o 8) Didn’t get blown over , as “some" have surmised ... :R
Simba getting Big huh ? Sweet dog !!! Especially when they’re sleeping ... just like kids .... :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:04 pm

well he normally is a sweet dog, however....friday night a thunderstorm came in. simba was was too nervous because of this, so i tried to get him into the camper. he was having no of it, and bolted. right out of the e-z up tent and out into the storm. when he finally came back, he was soaked, and filthy. so we all finally got into the camper, and i can tell you he's not too sweet when wet and dirty inside my camper! ick
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:55 pm

GPW, I know what you mean about diets and getting to eat nothing white. But hang in there... My diet sounds lots like yours and since all the white things tend to be bad for diabetics (high carbs) they're on the "no eat" list. I've gotten used to it and I'm better off now than I ever was. I think the USDA got the food pyramid all wrong. I live on protein (smoked chicken thighs... YUM), green leafy veggies (Rabbit food) and a few select other veggies, fruits and nuts

Louella, I'm jealous, you're off camping and I'm working as much as I can to get the trailer done so I can go camping... Looks like a great place. And wet, dirty smelly dog. Ain't it wonderful????
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:13 am

Mel, I’m sorta’ enjoying the new diet , lost 20 # , feel, look better , fit into my skinny pants now , and generally avoiding a diabetic condition ... 8)
The FDA, is just another heavily lobbied bureaucracy intent on taking those that take care of them ... they support the Big Industrial farmers who only cater to the Hamburger, fries , and cola crowd , no subsidies for anybody growing anything healthy , only things that make the most MONEY (generous lobbyists ) ... The reason we increasingly see more Fat children , and morbidly obese people lumbering around... More health problems ...(more drug sales, even higher medical and Insurance costs ) I question their wisdom as much as I question the effectiveness of most any government agency intent on supporting the Economy of the few , rather than promoting the facts ... :twisted:
Same effect as putting filthy rich Bankers in charge of the Economy , they screw up , demand a bailout , and they give themselves billions (of our money) in bonuses , the rest of us suffer ... SOS...
Foxes guarding the hen house ... what else could we expect ... :roll:

Something just WRONG with the whole system ... Pure GREED !!! Democracy has already turned into an Oligarchy ... difficult to turn that boat about ... so just Eat well, stay Healthy , and build more Foamie trailers ... :beer:

Nothing like the smell of Wet Dog eh ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: My dumb dog goes crazy during thunderstorms , but if I put a leash on her she calms right down ... :o Go figure ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:14 am

yes that park is beautiful. somewhere in that park is where camp david is. they mention it on the brochure. it says something like: camp david is located inside the park, can't see it from the road, and is not open to the public.

atahoekid, you will get there. we leave again in 9 days.

we also had an rv center up there sponsor us a breakfast sunday morning. real nice buffet set up and some great folks. i have always had my eye on the a-liners. they had them in stock there. i am still in love with those things. if i could just figure out how to manage one in foam, that would be great. i am going to start researching and thinking about this.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:39 pm

A liners always did appeal to me , but might be a challenge to do in foam .... and then again, schmaybe’ not hard at all , knowing what we all know now ... Nothing is impossible in foam ... 8) Folding , It’s all in the offsets ... :thinking:
And speaking of foam , had a deal all set up to buy foam (the Blue stuff ) from a BIG insulation wholesaler in the area .... one trouble ... When we called , the price of a 2” sheet was 15 dollars (USD) HIGHER than the price at either Loew’s or HD , and that was supposedly wholesale :roll: ... So No Deal !!! I still can’t figure that one out ... That’s just Crazy and comes under the heading of “ What the (your word here) "... :? :roll: :thumbdown:

The quest for good cheap foam continues .... easier to find Cheap Cold Beer ... :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:53 pm

With todays foam procurement debacle , the thoughts of linuxmanxxx seem to ring true in my little Pea brain ... Simple 1X2 framing with 3/4” foam in between , and a 3/4” covering outside ... then the canvas.... 2” foam is getting pretty hard to find here (for a reasonable price ) ... the 3/4” seems readily available ... No reason it wouldn’t work just fine and allows for many “hard points" on the framing inside the cabin to attach all manner of handy devices. and or coverings .. :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:00 pm

i am thinking an A frame really won't be too hard. i think i heard the guy say (on one of the you tube vids) that they are light foam panels. just covered in that siding stuff. so if they can do them in foam, then why can't i?
well, i know why, cuz i don't know how. :lol:

serioulsy i do think it could work. i have been thinking about changing over my second build. so my sides have to lift up side-ways. which might be easier for me to do anyway. perhaps a drawer type channel could be put in, so when one sides is raised, the other panel just slides right up. that probably doesnt make sense. its the best i can think of to describe it though.
another thing i have noticed since working with all this foam, and having sheets and left over pieces laying around, that foam does warp a bit, just like wood i suppose. so i am thinking some form of a hardes material may have to be attached to help prevent some of that warping.
also, it would be good to have the higher sides, and a shorter lift up. higher sides, to allow entry for just a short stop, or even just to hop in and crash for a night. shorter lift ups will just make it easier.
i am trying to figure out how to do a model, but i am not too good at this kind of thing.

anyway, i am going to get back on hubby's back to fix up a spot with an overhang so i can get out there and work.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:51 pm

Anything is possible , we just have to figure it out ... Cardboard and masking tape works fine for rough models .... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:12 pm

Two cute looking girls I would say.
here I am hurting like heck right side I have a rib out that is fighting my DO in getting it back into place
been three times with small success head to VA thursday I'll see what he does probably give me some pills
Only been to chiropractor couple of times years and years ago but I may try one again.
hard to sit hard to sleep hard to do anything with so much pain, then one of my exhaust manifolds went bad so I had both replaced
cheaper than a new truck but darn it anyway.

Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:40 pm

GPW wrote:With todays foam procurement debacle , the thoughts of linuxmanxxx seem to ring true in my little Pea brain ... Simple 1X2 framing with 3/4” foam in between , and a 3/4” covering outside ... then the canvas.... 2” foam is getting pretty hard to find here (for a reasonable price ) ... the 3/4” seems readily available ... No reason it wouldn’t work just fine and allows for many “hard points" on the framing inside the cabin to attach all manner of handy devices. and or coverings .. :thinking:

After using 2" foam for my build, I would advocate using 3/4" or 1" since it cuts so much nicer. I'd still like 2" of strength and insulation but you will pay more for 2 - 1" sheets than 1 - 2" sheet. Putting in the hard points is also a PITA. You don't want to dig too deep to set in a 1/2" or 3/4" hard point and a 2" thick wood block needs to be glued up. Having a wood frame is a plus as long as everything stays water tight. May as well coat those framing members with "The Mix" :thinking: :thinking:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies