Harbor Freight's Out of the Picture

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby Papi » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:38 pm

GPW wrote:TOWM , I’m now of the same mind as you .... used boat trailers , built better /stronger , and if you shop carefully you can find them cheap , as the boats wear out , but the trailers never seem to ... :thumbsup:

Don't overlook yard sales! I found all kinds of cheap and free stuff that way. I got an Evinrude 25 horse boat motor free, just needed a tune up. He just wanted it gone. You may find an old boat trailer to your liking the same way.
I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned.
Papi
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:53 am

Papi, around here most everybody’s got a boat of some type ... and after Katrina , everybody’s boat got blown/floated away leaving thousands of empty boat trailers , which seemed to survive OK ... And there’s still lots of bigger tandem boat trailers around ... a lot of them waaaaay Too Big for a Foamie ... :o

I got mine by putting the word out to my friends .... One day , my OFB came driving down the driveway towing a trailer he had in is boatyard ... the boat was “Gone with the windâ€
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:49 am

i was goiung to buikd mine on a boat trailer (that the neighbor was going to give me free). but the neighbor never did, so i got mine from northern tool.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:49 am

And Eagle , you obviously did just a FINE job with yours !!! :thumbsup: 8) ;) (and you were actually able to get it :roll: )
But I’d still bug that neighbor for the trailer .... Never enough trailers for we Foamlings eh ??? :lol:
Ps . I now have 4 trailers currently in the yard ... the wife is strongly suspecting some type of ADDICTION , so I may be forced to go to TA meetings !!! :o :R
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tiredoldwhiteman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:50 pm

chorizon wrote:TOWM check out this thread.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=43004

Do you have to register your trailer in Missouri?

Interesting...Yup...MO's big on this sort of thing...When I was still at university (a really looooooooong time ago), we were on a field trip. We were stopped because, as the trooper passed us, he noticed the tags on the trailer were "regular" trailer tags whilst the tags on the tow vehicle were "official vehicle."

The prof spent a goodly amount of time talking to the chap trying to explain it was indeed a university vehicle towing a private trailer (the prof's.)...We barely dodged that bullet.

I may try the Maine registration/transfer-to-Mo thing...I just need to develop some nerve...

Trailer tags in MO aren't all that expensive, something like $20.00 for two years...That, I can handle...

Sorry to hear your trailer is too small...Wanna sell it? I can get tags/title/registration for a trailer bought from out of state with a simple bill-of-sale...
Tiredoldwhiteman
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:14 pm

Now , you’re just not gonna’ believe this :o ... After Two (2) months , the Harbor freight guy calls ,apologetically, said he lost my number :roll: and promised he’d have my trailer in next Tuesday ... :? What the (your word here) ... :?
This was after I sent them yet another Nice but Firm e-mail about how it appeared to a great many people that they (HF) didn’t care about the customers ... and how I’ve avoided the store since after being “slightedâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby crumbruiser » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:54 am

I emailed them several weeks ago and signed up for the email promotions and vever did here from them. I explained to them the dissatisfaction from some of the cities we talk about on the forum and never heard a thing from them.
My personal expierence is favorable and I even told them that. :roll:
I don't know what to think about them!
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:51 pm

Crum , I don’t know what to think of them either ... other than their ordering /stocking process is a confusing mess, on their end ... :?

Guess it’s the same old story ... squeaky wheel gets the grease... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:29 am

gpw, that is great if you do get it.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:11 am

Eagle , I’m beside myself with confusion :? .... this trailer business has been back and forth between the HF trailer and the boat trailer , with the circumstances (and my attitude) changing back and forth over time ... I am hoping to just actually GET the HF trailer ... but I’m still working on the other one too .... just in case ... :o Worse thing that can happen is I end up with an extra trailer , perfect for building another Foamie on ... but unfortunately not long enough for the FoamStream , unless I shorten it a bit to 12’ ... :cry: Wondering what else I could build ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby DJT » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:39 pm

GPW wrote:Worst thing that can happen is I end up with an extra trailer , perfect for building another Foamie on ... but unfortunately not long enough for the FoamStream.

Or you can add a couple of feet! Perfect for the foamstream!
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:10 pm

Hey now ... there’s a thought !!!! Thanks DJ !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:42 pm

GPW wrote: I can’t Free Ken believe it !!! :P

GPW, I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm, but I'll believe it when I see your post on Tuesday with pictures as evidence. Seeing as I live in Nevada, I'll give you 5:2 odds against that trailer showing up. 8) :lol:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:54 pm

atahoekid wrote:
GPW wrote: I can’t Free Ken believe it !!! :P

GPW, I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm, but I'll believe it when I see your post on Tuesday with pictures as evidence. Seeing as I live in Nevada, I'll give you 5:2 odds against that trailer showing up. 8) :lol:

:thinking: me thinks i smell a pessimist amongst ourselves. :thumbdown:
i bet you where one of those non-believers in the foamie too huh? :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:48 pm

I just got another e-mail from the Rep ... says he’ll let me know when it comes in ... Fingers crossed , rabbit’s foot , lucky Candle ... we’ll see... It COULD actually happen ... schmaybe ‘ ? 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies