The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks GPW. I'm happy with my design and the level of detail that I am trying to build to, but when I see people that have started after me and are further along than I am, I can't help but think about how I might do things more simply if I were to do it again (no...no, no, no, never...never). It's certainly not for a lack of working on it.

Got the second door recessed for the window. Pays to check and recheck everything. The original pencil tracings I made of the window outline had been sanded down a bit when I cleaned up the window frame additions, so I decided to retrace the window. Since the first door had been fit to the first window, I decided that I had better use the other window for this door. You never know, they might not be the same. After pushing the window against the sill and centering it side to side I traced it out. But the trace marks didn't look even. Found that one of the rubber pads that holds the window up off of the sill was missing from the second window (suppose it might have come off while I was handling them, but I didn't find it). Glad I measured. I'll see about getting another one. Was able to adjust for it and retrace. Turns out that the glass is a little lower, more even on this frame, but the upper and lower sections are a little off from side to side. The edges of the glass don't lineup perfectly.

Did I mention that I love me some biscuits. Remember those pneumatic staples that I used to add the extra window frame blocks on while gluing? I only hit two of them with the router when rabbeting. Sounded like the Doppler effect when a cat's tail gets stepped on; whirrrrrrrrr, eeeerrrrrrrrr. :frightened: Carbide bit seems none the wiser and the exposed pins were either punched down or pried out with pliers. One more spot that needs a little filler putty.

Totally off topic; I Just checked out my friend Dale's boat blog (http://searay340restoration.blogspot.com/) He built and installed his own custom dingy cradle on the swim platform. Nice design and fab work. :thumbsup: Birds of a feather flock together.

Having second thoughts about the door latches. On Monday I'm going to see about canceling my order and try to find a style that comes in right and left hand versions. I'll post an update on the door handle thread linked here - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=51242&p=951848#p951848.
Last edited by KCStudly on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:05 am

KC, not many can say they built their entire TD from “scratch” :o ... All the TLC you’ve put into it would surely put it in the "Custom “ category ... Takes Time to do it Right !!! :thumbsup: :applause:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:11 am

Thanks GPW. :)
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:43 am

KC, I’m not trying to be gracious in any way , just saying what you’ve done is pretty Impressive by any standard... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm all a tremble. :D

You're pushing my ego button. :)
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Rocky is fitting in just fine. Our big Torti is a little tweaked up but Rock is just fine with the new arrangement.

Here are a few pics to go with my description from Saturday's work.

Got the window recessing template attached to the second door and all ready to route.

Here's where I ran over the first staple and punched it down with a center punch.
Will have to put a dab of putty there.

Hit the second staple quite a bit harder.

Yanked it.
Another spot for some putty.

Here is the finished recess.

A dust pan of sawdust every day is the camper builder's way!

That was Saturday.

Took it easy on Sunday.

Another 3 hrs in tonight (Monday).

Cut and test fit the street side wall foam to the wall sub frame.
Used the razor knife to make the cuts and the course sanding block to tune things up a little.

Then I fit the foam to the street side door, just dry fit for now.

I just used a little painter's tape to hold the wall foam to the wood frame and it was a snap to pick it up and walk it over to lean against the floor and other wall foam. Here it is with the door sitting in the door opening.

All for now.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:54 am

Really taking shape now !!! :thumbsup: 8)

I was thinking about getting a brad/staple gun , but after seeing your interaction with power tools , er, I dunno' ? :frightened: :NC
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:05 pm

Okay, I'm making progress on the street side wall.

Wednesday I started getting ready to glue wall foam to wall frame by clearing off the bench and taping some freezer paper down.

The bottom sill of the wall had a little flex to it so in order to have the base of the wall come out straight I strung a string line along the bottom. Rather than just running the string on the sill, and perhaps giving a false reading, I spaced it out equally at each end with a shim.

Then I used a third shim to check the gap along the string, pushing or pulling the sill while placing clamps along the edge of the table.
Straight as a string!

In handling the wall foam once the door surround was cut out I was concerned about breaking it where it was thinner over the door. I also thought that it would be easier to get the foam to fit the frame a little better, and easier to apply and clamp the glue if the foam was in two pieces. So I cut it just at the rear of the door header.

The door surround also could be shifted around at the top some, so rather than letting the foam and gorilla glue push the door surround around I laid the door in the opening and shimmed it in evenly good and tight. The foam in the door itself has not been glued, but fits good and tight so it's not going anywhere. (The steel tube at the top is an attempt to hold the top of the door surround down against the table so that the glue would not expand underneath and lift the wall off of the table.)

Prepositioned bar clamps and wood shims (to spread the clamp load and protect the edges of the foam) and glued it up; first the rear section and then the front. I was grateful that Karl had come out to the shop and lent a hand. Added some more weight when it looked like the header was lifting. The round pillow looking thing in the right front is a shot bag (leather filled with lead shot) used for hammer forming sheet metal.

Some closeups of the GG in action.

Add 3 hrs labor.

This evening (Thursday) I put another 3 hrs in unclamping the wall and cleaning up the excess glue. On the top (outside face) I used the cheap extending razor knife to trim off some of the squeeze out. Then a combination of the mini Surform and sanding blocks.

There are some issues that don't show in the photos; a few digs, and lack of fairness with the wood, but those issues will be addressed later.

Next I pulled the tape holding the freezer paper down to the table (as best I could) and lifted the whole thing up enough to get the tape holding the paper to the table around the door area. After peeling the bulk of the paper away there were large areas where the GG had squeezed under and the freezer paper didn't release well.

Being the inner side I didn't have to worry as much about small dents and gouges, but it needs to be fair to get a strong bond with the inner wall skins (5 mm marine ply). Used a small scrapper to get the excess off of the wood fairly easily. However, it was much harder to deal with on the foam. Some shaving with the razor knife; some peeling by hand; coarse sanding block scrubbing fairly hard to break the paper/plastic film, then a bit more to open the cells on the GG (being careful not to gouge out the adjacent blue foam); the mini Surform could then cut the GG down; then 100 grit on the small oak block.

I'm going to try GPW's iron trick to see about removing some of the small dents, then light weight spackle to fill and fair anything that is left, but that will come later just before skinning.

And now to bed.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:57 am

KC:

Thanks for allowing me to live vicariously through your documentation. I haven't been at my build much, so I am enjoying someone who is!

A possible suggestion for the underside, not in place of the freezer paper but in conjunction with. What if you were to use a low tack masking tape around the edges of the foam where bleeding is likely to happen. If the glue bleeds, it should peal off easily with the tape. Of course if you think this might work, I would test to be certain that the tape is not porous, and makes a bigger problem.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:17 am

KC, you might try the boiling water trick first , either that or be sure you use a very damp rag between the foam and the iron ... Isn’t the Foam made with steam? ... I know bead board is ... It’s the steam, wet heat that makes it puff up from it’s pellet form ... The iron trick with a piece of parchment paper between is great for re-adhearing the canvas to the foam , using T2 as an adhesive... re melts the T2 , and the foam if you’re not careful ....as always, test on scraps first ... that always tells the tale .... :thinking:

Ps. Don’t go buy any tools on my account but if you know anybody with a small hand held “steamer” that would probably work great ... Just another idea ...

EDIT: Or how about the iron set on Steam ??? :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:31 am

Thanks Paul, glad you are enjoying following along!

I haven't tried taping next to the joints. I did try taping over the joint and weighting it (refer to where I joined the front and rear side panels of foam). Where well weighted in time to prevent the foam from expanding out that worked well. However, on this more complicated glue up I did not feel that I would have the time to apply the glue, spritz, join and clamp before things started foaming up (and I was right). You must be correct, the tape is probably somewhat porous, because everywhere that it touched GG it was tough to remove. No better than the freezer paper, or at least not much. So as far as how much work was involved cleaning up after the fact, I think it was a wash.

Thank you, good sir, for the suggestion and for keeping an eye on TPCE. :thumbsup:

You're absolutely correct, GPW. I have mixed up your tricks in my head. I was thinking that it was the act of heating and expanding the closed cells that did the trick, but the moisture (either hot/boiling water, or damp buffer rag) was just a way to regulate the heat below the melting point of the foam, and not concentrate too much in any one location.

Thank you, too, for keeping a watchful eye on me. :applause:
Last edited by KCStudly on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:06 am

Too much “work" to have any problems now !!! ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 pm

At this point in the game I have stopped thinking of them as problems and have just started accepting them as "little things" that need more work before it can be considered "almost done". This is why it always takes longer to do something than we think it should. :?

Example:
Let's perform operations 'A' and 'B' today.
First collect materials for Operation 'A'.
Then prep said materials.
Then prep work area and tools for Operation 'A'.
Then perform Operation 'A'.
Then clean up work area (end of day one).
Then break down and put away tooling (e.g. clamps, jigs, etc.) from Operation 'A'.
Then do post Operation 'A' added work (such as scrapping excess, sanding, etc.); let's call this A.1.
Then there is the fallout "little things" (such as dents, lack of fairness, sanding gouges, screw holes, etc.) that will either need to be addressed later or before moving on; Operation X.A.2.
Then, um, what was Operation 'B'? (End of day 2.)

Well, that's my definition of Teardrop Time. Keep working until it's done!
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Quick Friday update. Cut curbside wall foam and fit to wall frame; came out good. Pics with next major update.

Too humid to fit foam to door; went for AC and :beer: .

Tomorrow (Saturday) I plan on fitting foam to curbside door and gluing curbside wall foam to frame. Should finish up in plenty of time to get to mom's for a family function (food pics if appropriate :twisted: ).

Not sure what Sunday will bring. Dale and T will be here with the boat so will maintain open schedule to see the latest upgrades up close and go for a ride out in the sound (Long Island Sound, that is). Last year we went over to Napatree Point (Napatree Images) for a nice picnic lunch, then back to New London harbor for the famous Grucci Fireworks. No rush to get back this year so it sounds like Dale is planning a nice leisurely day out on the water. Looking forward to that. :thumbsup: :D
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:36 am

RI shore is pretty Nice !!! I did a lot of painting of the craggy rocks and waters there.... while the wife toured the mansions.. :roll: Found a great little Bar in Newport and .... :beer: :FNP ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have Fun , you deserve a break ... just a little one ... then back to work ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies