The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:01 am

With my new Diet , I was chasing around a Cauliflower, threatening to make Lunch ... :lol:

Nice Vacation pics KC ... “we will enjoy them” :pictures:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Had a refresher in methods for building lightly by visiting the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome museum in Rhinebeck.

Lots of turn of the century/very early airplanes and/or copies. Fun. There was a guy there doing a full on scratch build of a copy of the Spirit of St. Louis. Very impressive, and I'd say he was about 90% done.

Then we had a snack at the bakery shop at the CIA.

Sorry, pics will have to wait until we get home again, and we haven't really been taking food pics, just sights and points of interest.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:13 pm

I sure hope that Rosey and GPW are safe from the storm, along with the others down south.

Yup, we're back. Had a great and very relaxing vacation. All the pics are on the wife's camera so I may throw one or two in a bit later.

Just easing back into the swing of things now. While away we did drop into a bunch of antique and thrift shops looking for Coleman stuff. No luck, but I did find what I think is a pump cap spring clip just laying on the ground, and I found a vintage Schaefer beer bottle/can opener for 4 bucks. You know, the good old fashion kind, made in USA out of nice thick metal, like new. This thing won't bend, flake or misbehave like the crap ones available in the box stores today. As soon as I make some galley storage space it's going in the camper!

As soon as I got back to my day job I went on mandatory OT, going in an hour early every day. Did I mention that I'm not much of an early riser?

Wednesday out at Fab Mecca I gave Karl a hand biscuit joining a butcher block work bench top that had split at one of the original glue joints. He's going through the loft of the barn organizing and getting ready to add insulation and drywall before winter sets in.

Way back in the beginning we had talked about the possibility of me doing the cabin assembly in the loft, up out of the way of the main shop. Before we know it the weather will be cooling off (and so will the loft... it's been hot up there in the summer), and with the insulation up there it should be plenty cozy when the wood stove is going downstairs. So tonight we looked at the trap door opening to make sure that the cabin will fit down through. It's close and we will have to temporarily remove the joist hangers that hold the trap door components in place, but the cabin build up will take a lot of space for a long time, so I will not look a gift horse in the mouth, no way (even though I joked with Karl that the spot downstairs where the Rover is languishing would be a lot more convenient ;) ).

Another update, the shop now has a shop cat. Completely laid back and very friendly adult male Siamese we have taken to calling Simon just showed up shortly after I left for vacation. Great cat, pics when I dump the camera.

Tonight I shimmed and trued the miter saw bed to the feed table, had been meaning to do that for a while. Then I cut some blocks and did a biscuit glue up for a test piece (simulating the latch area of the doors) to check out my router template for the latch pockets. At this stage I would much rather screw up a test piece than the actual doors... too much time invested in them to make that mistake.

And that's the short update :whistle: :ok:

With the added hours at work I may have to consolidate my postings into a once or twice a week thing for a while, but I plan on staying on the build as much as I can (...though there will be some time off in the next few months for punkin chunkin prep and the big go south).

Stay tuned to this space! You might be my 10,000th view coming up soon :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:04 pm

great pic on the water! looking forward to the dumped pics. :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:42 am

KC, now back to work !!! ;) “ Git it Done! “ :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:24 pm

I hear that! My work ethic has been tested by such a long and relaxing vacation. That plus the extra early hour start at my day job has me too tempted. Basically logged an extra week of "TD time". :?

No good excuse. :oops:

Tomorrow I build for sure. I'll say it again though, the documentation may take a hit on details and frequency. I am, in fact, only human. :R :cry: :R :?
Last edited by KCStudly on Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Oh, yeah. Welcome back GPW, we missed you. Hope the house did not suffer too much from the tree incident, and that it does not cause you too much of a set back.

Glad you are safe.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks KC , this is one time where Overbuilding is a Good thing !! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:20 pm

This is just a picture test. Uploading "a few" pics from our vacation that were taken with the wife's camera.

I may post them on trips and travel pics section with a link back here, even though it was not a camping trip. Think that would be okay, or should I just post them up here OT?

Here is a sample. This is the the FDR Mid Hudson Bridge at Highland and Poughkeepsie, NY, as seen from the Rail Trail walking bridge located just up river.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:42 pm

It don't matter to me. Though some may miss your trip if you only post here. But not a lot of people watch the Trips section either

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Okay, here's a link to a summary of our trip. About 30 or so pics with descriptions, out of the 300 some odd pics that we took.

When we mention that we have been on vacation, people would say, "Oh yeah, where did you go?", and we would say Mid Hudson River Valley NY," and they would look confused in wonderment on why we would choose to go there.

There is a ton to see and do. We had a great time!

Hudson River Valley Trip
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:22 am

Actually , the Hudson River valley was once considered so beautiful , it inspired a whole School of Art ... 8) Many of those paintings now hanging on museum walls ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_River_School
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Okay, let’s get caught up. I must admit that I have not done much since returning, but I still have some progress and a bunch of pic’s!

I pretty much just dumped the pic’s indiscriminately from both before and after vacation, so I may be a little fuzzy (both in focus and recollection) on some of them.

So as best I can tell, this is the curbside wall with foam glued in, showing the dry fit of the foam in the curbside door resting in the doorway.

And here is the street side wall with the foam dry fit and held in place with tape, with the street side door and foam dry fit, stacked in front of the curbside parts.

Here is a close up of the curbside door with foam dry fit.

Bonus pic.

Here is the Schaefer bottle opener I got for the camper while browsing through a thrift store in Kingston.
Sturdy!

Here is a nice ornamental gate that Karl built while I was away.
The shapes are catalog items, but it is still well designed and finely crafted.

Upon returning to Mecca I was greeted by the newly adopted shop cat, Simon.
We can’t figure out why anyone would abandon such a well behaved, docile and loving cat. He’s so laid back he doesn't flinch when power tools are being used nearby (safe range).

Here I am biscuit gluing up the test coupon to do a dry run on routing out the door latch and bolt recesses.

Karl has been busy cleaning out and organizing the upstairs loft.

Ben built a really solid feed table and fence for his miter saw. However, the saw was not attached to the table, perhaps due to having been moved to Karl's for storage. We had been using it but I had noticed that it tended to move around a little in use and was not always flush to the fence. At first I just aligned it fence to fence and sank a couple of screws through the holes in the base, but this compressed the rubber feet under the base and made the tables ever so slightly uneven. The solution was to shim under the base, realign the fences, and then screw it down.

Simon has a moving blanket bed up in the loft, as well.

Glued a scrap of ply to the door latch test piece.

Here is the latch router template; and the test piece where you can see that I have traced the template opening, drilled a starter hole, and begun jigsawing out the rough opening.
Notice the contrasting biscuits in the drop piece.

Next I reattached the latch template and made the first pass with the top bearing flush bit. Thought I felt a little hiccup, but didn't see anything wrong at first. Then when I went to adjust the bit down I found that the router was already fully down and I had set the bit shank deep in the collet. When I loosened the collet to extend the bit down some I discovered that the set screw from the bearing retaining shaft collar had spit out. Fortunately the collar had been held down by the collet so no harm, no foul. Switched to the bottom bearing bit and finished the cut from the other side. In all of the excitement (er, disappointment?) I forgot to take a picture.

Here is the latch bolt hole template and rough cut.

And after routing.

Had the same problem many others have had; even though the holes were cut very accurately to the makers spec's, there was no way that the latch set would fit in the hole. Best I can figure the std RV door has outer skins and little filler or blocking, thus leaving enough void space for the bolt portion of the latch to snake in to place. I had to trim a relief so that the bolt portion that is closest to the fixed trim flange of the latch could make the turn. Also, the extended shaft for the dead bolt actuator needed a little clearance to let the back edge drop into the hole. A combination of utility knife, wood rasps and a rat tail file did the trick. None of this will show as it is all under the trim.

And the latch fits.

The screw bosses in the latch casting do not come threaded; the screws are self tapping, ... but the screws were too short, even though these were supposed to be the thick door optional latches, they must have been packaged with the std bolt kits. I intend to call and see if they will send the correct length screws. Also, I highly recommend running the screws into the bosses to set the treads before attempting to assemble.

And I will definitely be making my own, thicker bolt trim plates out of SS.

All for now.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:28 pm

Cross reference to some construction technique and assembly sequence thoughts that I had over in the big Thrifty thread.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=39373&p=961541#p961541

:beer:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:01 pm