Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam

Postby KCStudly » Mon May 13, 2013 3:11 pm

I'm glad that you have been inspired by TPCE, and thank you for saying so. :thumbsup: :FNP
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Wed May 15, 2013 10:51 am

KC, absolutely! While my eventual Foamie will be off in another direction, I've learned a lot from what you've done. Much as I have from the other oh so cool build journals!

I'm still battling the work/play balance thing right now... at least I've been busy at work, which means more in the 'war chest'. A 'new' TV is first, then I get to build my trailer; my old Rendeszvous is pushing 181,000 miles on it, and repairs are starting to be a significant portion of book value, which is when I go shopping for a new car.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Mon May 27, 2013 9:24 pm

I got some shop time in , though not on anything trailer related:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369707807.320094.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369707807.320094.jpg (65.7 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369707819.605816.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369707819.605816.jpg (62.44 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369707833.553589.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369707833.553589.jpg (65.22 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

Loosely followed plans from Wood magazine... Theirs had pull out foot rests... I didn't see the need.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue May 28, 2013 6:32 am

Comfy looking chairs Ned !!! :thumbsup: 8) If you can build those , a Foamie should be a “piece of cake” !!! ;)

Ps. I designed an Adirondack rocking chair , built one for the house ... as you get Older , you may want one of those too ... :R I Love mine !!! :D

It’d really a “Good Thing” to follow KC’s build ... he’s thoroughly covered EVERYTHING , even the smallest of details ...a Super “reference” and learning tool ... :thumbsup: ;) 8) :beer:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Wed May 29, 2013 9:33 pm

My one problem is the classic lack of funds... I have no doubt I can build one, I just have to find the $ that isn't needed elsewhere
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Wed May 29, 2013 9:50 pm

Welcome Ned to the club of, the wish I could but no money. I have the feeling you will find the money pretty quickly though. I have been reading with interest. Good Luck!!!

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:33 pm

I built mine a little bit at a time. Luckily, I do have some spare income and can use it on projects here and there, but there were times all I could afford was another box of screws or a roll of wire. The big purchases had to wait until there was enough money in the bank. A lot of us have financed our builds that way. Of course, if you're like GPW and a master of making something out of nothing, you won't have too many big purchases. :lol: :lol:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:04 am

It’s called the “Fine Art of Salvage” ... Look around before you buy ... chances are somebody is throwing away something you can use ... ;)
And I do a networking thing with my Friends... so we look for each other ... Very effective !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:53 am

at the moment my job is also a huge time sink... and it is running the wheels off of my poor old rendezvous... but I'm about to go test drive an Aveo... which will be Solely the Work car. Not a TV.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:46 am

I can't add any more to what Mel and GPW said...but I will anyway ! :lol:

My build has taken two years (almost to the day now) specifically because the epoxy and glass are pricey. I could buy it in small amounts for 3X the price but that burns too much, so it has to wait till I have a chunk of money saved up. The next 'chunk' ought to finish the shell, then one more for the interior.

One thing I've really enjoyed that I thought I wouldn't is cleaning up and refurbishing old salvaged stuff from scrapped RVs. Most of the stuff gets used so little the problems just come from time and neglect.
I've posted a bit of it in my build thread, but I get a kick out of of taking something that's been written off and restoring it back to 100%.
I guess that's one of the reason my dogs have always come from shelters :D

There are so many people that are fed up with the RV rotting away in the backyard that they're happy just to get rid of it. I've gotten a couple that way and I have a tandem 24'ish TT waiting till I can start it: "you tow it, you can have it". If you start pricing out new appliances and fixtures, you see the economy right away. Plus, there's a kitsch to some of the vintage stuff that (for me at least) was a bit of an acquired taste.

Time to close out this post and go pick up a (free) 8' fg dinghy from craigslist to repair and hang my restored 1958 outboard on. It needs a transom and I just happen to have a few sheets of 3/8" marine ply needing a home...
"Another man's trash...."
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:59 pm

Thanks gang, I'm going to get there one of these days. I started a 'new' management job about a month ago, and it has been a whirlwind trip.

As for appliances, I have a 2 burner Coleman, and we have a couple of coolers, thinking 'spartan' galley. Big issue right now is the tow vehicle. my Buick is going to be parked awhile, going to save it for a trade in on an SUV for the family unless I just buy a project Jeep to have fun with when I'm not in the 'new' Aveo.

Not 'just' your basic fuel sipper... though that is why I'm buying it, it is well equipped for such a tiny little thing: AC/Cruise/power windows etc... And I have ample leg room.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:10 pm

A little razzy :R (said with encouragement and jockularity) :D

Paying job; priority 1, and I'm glad you have that covered. :thumbsup:

Tiny little miser car; okay, no comment, but I'm glad that you are happy about it.

Too many projects; been there, done that.

Some advice to all aspiring camper builders, no matter how complex or simple your build. Whatever your budget, high zoot or thrifty. It takes dedication and Time. Time to plan. Time to tool. Time to research, and time to build.

Focus, focus, focus.

Okay, I said my piece and am stepping down from my soap box now. Thank you for this opportunity and I hope that you are able to reach all of your goals.

:D :wine:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:17 am

KCStudly wrote:A little razzy :R (said with encouragement and jockularity) :D

Paying job; priority 1, and I'm glad you have that covered. :thumbsup:

Tiny little miser car; okay, no comment, but I'm glad that you are happy about it.

Too many projects; been there, done that.

Some advice to all aspiring camper builders, no matter how complex or simple your build. Whatever your budget, high zoot or thrifty. It takes dedication and Time. Time to plan. Time to tool. Time to research, and time to build.

Focus, focus, focus.

Okay, I said my piece and am stepping down from my soap box now. Thank you for this opportunity and I hope that you are able to reach all of your goals.

:D :wine:

:beer: Thanks for the support KC!

Paying job is, as you say priority 1 (well, perhaps 2, behind taking care of my family)...
the econobucket is a means to an end... I do between 80-300 miles a day... my Buick Rendezvous got 20-23 mpg, downhill with a tail wind... the Aveo will put at least $150 a week back into the household budget.

The project... is going to have to be well planned. Or it won't happen at all.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:32 am

Like the old saying ... “ prior planning prevents poor performance “ True Dat !!! ;) And saving gas also means saving the planet !!! That’s always a “Good Thing!!!” !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:05 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371330323.832996.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371330323.832996.jpg (31.67 KiB) Viewed 846 times

Hmmm...
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext