Very SIMPLE Foamie’ ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Very SIMPLE Foamie’ ...

Postby atahoekid » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:45 pm

mezmo wrote:So you're going for the Jimmy Durante of Foamies ? Eh ?

Look at the ROAM Camper TD build by titanpat57:
Build: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=42096
Pics: gallery/album.php?album_id=228
That'd be a great "nose" to emulate - it's just a few flat
panels joined creatively.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo

I know this is quite a large 'schnozzola but I like the concept for building a conical type nose. Multiple flat panels seamed together. I'm thinking it would work great on the Foamie Fiver (fifth wheel). Just a design exercise for now but...
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:46 pm

Just have to cut the angles right eh ? :beer:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:50 pm

A little advanced math (geometry) and a bit of craftsmanship should yield a good looking nose cone. It's apparently the math I should be most concerned with... :( :frightened: :roll:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:02 pm

That is a Good looking nose .... comparable to the new high speed trains ... looking.. 8) Really would dress up a box , and with a snappy paint job it would be Deluxe !!! :thumbsup: ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:00 am

Somehow (careful cutting) we ended up with a whole extra sheet of Blu 2” Thick foam :P ... and now knowing where to easily get More , naturally brings up the idea of building another Foamie' ...a Super Simple Foamie '... :thinking: Already have that other trailer ... waiting...
Might be Silly to start thinking about another trailer build while still not finished with the present one .... :roll: But it’s Fun to do a little thinking about it and doing a little advanced planning ... Can’t let that whole sheet of foam go to waste huh ? :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby clermont cubby » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:41 am

Thought this design would make an ez simple foamie :)

Larry
runaway trailer.jpg
Runaway Camper
runaway trailer.jpg (30.66 KiB) Viewed 954 times
clermont cubby
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:59 pm

Larry, that looks Nice and Simple !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:29 pm

Simple but nice lines, few complex joints, no rear hatch and a simple curve on the roof line. Should work great!
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby kudzu » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:21 am

Seeing the Runaway Camper advertised on local Craigslist is what got me seriously thinking about tiny trailers. Google "tiny trailer" & naturally TNTTT turns up. That's how I ended up here. A larger version of the Runaway with a rear hatch for loading gear was my original plan but as too often happens the BF wanted more. Still I might end up going back to something like that but on a larger scale. My current design with it's compound curves is looking a bit difficult for a first time build.

And then there is always the second build. I might be the only one who builds smaller the second time around. :lol:
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby clermont cubby » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:22 am

Kudzu,

I also would like to build a really light weight simple foamie. I built my Cubby TD way too heavy and over engineered. I tend to over engineer all of my projects.

I believe the "Runaway" design could easily be built as a 5X8 , rear hatch or rear hinged twin cargo doors . Nice simple lines. With rear doors
could also be used as a week-end cargo trailer or in my case easily slip in a small sailboat. :twisted:

With one TD and two sailboats already in the garage. Something would have to go before I would start another project. :)

Larry
clermont cubby
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:48 am

Larry, No garage necessary for a Foamie ‘... They’re made to live outside ... ;) (well tested) :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby clermont cubby » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:02 pm

GPW wrote:Larry, No garage necessary for a Foamie ‘... They’re made to live outside ... ;) (well tested) :thumbsup:

GRW:

My HOA would have something to say about that. Left the teardrop outside on MY driveway while I built the foamie Kayak. It was overnight 2-3 nights.

Received unhappy letter from our HOA.

Could always move, but my wife would have something to say about that. She already believes that I am obsessed with tiny tears and boats. :?
clermont cubby
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:18 pm

The sole reason I choose to live in the woods .... most HOA restrictions seem reasonable , but there’s always one totally obsessed, self-righteous individual , who bitterly complains of even the most minor of infractions... following the very strictest interpretation of the covenants ... some even get violent about it if you don’t agree... ( Read: “Crazy people” :? ) I have a few stories I could tell ... :roll:
Sorry about the OT rant ... from the woods ;) :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby clermont cubby » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:38 pm

GPW wrote: The sole reason I choose to live in the woods .... most HOA restrictions seem reasonable , but there’s always one totally obsessed, self-righteous individual , who bitterly complains of even the most minor of infractions... following the very strictest interpretation of the covenants ... some even get violent about it if you don’t agree... ( Read: “Crazy people” :? ) I have a few stories I could tell ... :roll:
Sorry about the OT rant ... from the woods ;) :D

Could not agree more.

Larry
clermont cubby
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:28 am

Back to the Box!!! Just a thought .... while every foamie’ is essentially a box , The idea of having somewhat an attempt at an aerodynamic shape on the Nose might be beneficial while towing ... :thinking: The flat front is the absolute worst for Drag ... :frightened:

RE: Hiding the Foamie ... Foamies are small enough to fit in an alleyway or backyard ... away from prying eyes... :roll: You can even do like I did and paint the trailer the same color as the house as to provide further “camouflage” .. :thinking:

You could always clean up the Garage ...make room ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies