Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam

Postby Ned B » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:47 am

GPW wrote:Get a 5’ wide !!! :thumbsup: that’s the better way to go ... more room , more stable ... ;)

That is my plan, Only problem is I don't have a trailer hitch on my TV yet.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:08 pm

That’s easy enough to fix :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:10 pm

I don't have a trailer hitch on my TV yet.

I just KNOW there's a cart-before-the-horse joke in there somewhere, like when my wife saw that I had bought an outboard despite not having a big enough boat to hang it on...yet. :lol:
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:38 pm

yep... part of the problem is that the current TV is aged and becoming decrepit, so we're looking at replacing it in the near future... no sense hanging a hitch on it when I will be trading it in 'soon'...

lol, re the cart and horse :applause:
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:33 am

Major developments this past week...

My full time position finally 'arrived' on monday. I have been working 'full time', but finally got the promotion this Monday. Don't know that I'm working any 'more' than I was before, but the base pay is better, and the hours 'nominally' are better (will be, once I get a few schedules adjusted/finalized).
I'm going TV shopping this weekend, because I have to balance my courier job with family hauling, I'm aiming for a used Escape Hybrid which gets 30+mpg on average. Found out that with the hybrid, the tow rating is only 1000 lbs because of the CVT. Good thing I'm building a Foamy , eh?
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:03 am

I have the std 6 cyl Escape and I like it a lot; that's saying something coming from a Chevy man! The chassis and amenities are great for a daily driver, so I suspect you will enjoy the hybrid as well.

A couple of things I have found:
There was a recall to check for a chafe on the transmission cooler lines at the radiator cowling (not sure if that applies to the hybrid).
Initially I had to keep latching the hatch and/or hatch glass. I don't know if it was me accidentally triggering the remote, or if it just took me a while to learn that the rubber button under the right side of the license plate recess was for the glass and the one in the center was for the hatch. Anyway, if you hear a clunking sound, stop, get out, and check to see if the hatches are secure.
For me, the ergonomics of the seat, seat back, steering and pedal placement are never ideal. When I have the seat back and pedals right, the steering wheel is just a tad too far away (does not telescope and the pedals do not adjust), so I had to get used to the pedals being a little closer than I would prefer.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:27 am

How does the old truism go... if Mama ain't happy...

Lori questioned my looking into the Escape Hybrid for the family car... seems she 'knows someone' who has one, isn't happy with theirs and is trading it in. :roll:

SO... I'm going to soldier on with my aveo (racked up over 1000 miles this week...) until I can find her a 'better' small car for the family. Once I do that, I can save up a bit and trade the aveo in on the hybrid.

and further SO...

I'm going to order 5x8 from Northern tool after I get my first 'big' management check... and work on the parts as I can out in the shop. I do a LOT of designing/planning when I drive, and boy howdy have I driven enough lately that my subconscious is kicking out 'solutions' for me to consider left and right.

some 'meta' ideas on the WW:

66" wide overall (allows me to have a queen sized bed lengthwise, using 2" foam walls.
I'll be building it on a 5' wide trailer, with a torsion box floor. Not sure if I'll build up/over the wheels, or just fit the walls around the fenders.
Commercial doors and windows: I know how I build doors, TLAR engineering and I are old friends, but for this build I'd better let the engineers/industrial designers earn their keep instead.
It will have a dropped floor in the tail between the cabinets/dinette.
Tonight on my way back from Binghamton, I envisioned the tail of the trailer; with the folding wall and door setup. I may have to build the door of course, because of the fold to get the roof 'down' . If I do, I am most likely going to pick up some Cypress for the door/wall, since it is a relatively decent 'performer' in the wet. Properly coated it should hold up to the elements just as well as the foam.

interior cabinets will be 'borg ply'...Birch 1/2" if i can get it, 3/4 if I have to.

I'll have side doors, as well as the lifting roof in the rear. Lori would like a pop-top, so I may do a trolley top over the bed, with a simple set of walls to increase the interior space for Lori.

OK enough for now... off to bed. 'night all.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:23 am

Ned,

I know what you mean about drive time and "imagineering". I used to put in a lot of windshield time and did a lot of that with the radio off. Cypress is fairly rot resistant, but I urge you to coat any wood exposed to the elements in the "mix". I think the mix is 3:1 polyurethane to mineral spirits (or is it the other way around). It makes wood water resistant maybe even waterproof. GPW shared that hint with us and it works great. Just wish I can remember the formula. Some people mix 50/50. Brush it on, let it soak in, repeat until no more soaks in.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:37 am

75% Mineral spirits , 25% Poly (preferably the cheapest kind) ... The Original formula from Chuck Felton ... :thumbsup: It even waterproofs cardboard ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:25 pm

That's what I was planning... either 'the mix' or a spar varnish. OR I might just let it weather.

The underpinnings will be PT Southern Yellow Pine most likely... If I weren't such a fan of the foamies, I would build a full on woodie in a heartbeat just because I love woodworking. As it is, I am leaning towards what KC has done with TPCE. There is a local yard where I can pick up decent plywood, including cherry.

For all that I'm good with computers normally, Sketchup is NOT my friend. I've got a good idea of the structure I plan on building. Similar to what GPW has done with the Foamstream, with wooden frame reinforcing the foam walls, strong and lightweight.
Lori wants 'open and airy'... so I'm going for the Warrior style rear of the trailer, plus either a trolley top or lifting roof in the front section. I'll be sure and include a flat section for fantastic fan and/or a window rattler shelf/port for cooling as well. Galley will be along one wall of the back, just a simple counter with storage for the cooler and my venerable two burner coleman stove. Might do some cubbies etc... as well, have to see how inspired she gets once I am to that point. I'm figuring this is the classic... better than a tent, but not a full blown RV, so 'basic' will do nicely thank you.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:40 pm

Ned , may I make a humble suggestion ? TWO Coolers ... we have a 5 day cooler for the food and frozen goodies, that won’t be opened a lot , and then we have one for the drinks ...which will ... :beer: :wine:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:45 pm

I've done the same. Amazing how long you can keep the ice in the cooler if you don't open it much.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:02 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375491743.758515.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375491743.758515.jpg (36.6 KiB) Viewed 601 times

Inspiration two ways
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:20 pm

:thumbsup: 8) :D :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:34 pm

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies