The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Postby Ned B » Fri May 17, 2013 10:21 am

JEEP:

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Fri May 17, 2013 9:36 pm

Ned B wrote:JEEP:

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

Or:
Just
Eats
Every
Paycheck....

I have driven jeeps for 20 years and find that they a great vehicle as long as you stay within 10 percent of stock. Once you go past that they get spendy real quick. I selling my 94 Grand Cherokee and keeping my 1976 Cherokee. Parts are cheeper and it is easier to work on. So I guess you can count me in on the keeping old vehicles. :thumbsup:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri May 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Thursday.

Nothing conclusively wrong with the Jeep. After Yvette dropped me off at work, my coworker, lantern picker and friend, Larry offered that his TJ (’04 Rubicon) had the same problem which he traced to an intermittent short at a spade connection on the starter solenoid. (He is a patient and methodical troubleshooter, experienced professional in general carpentry, construction and renovation …and a damn good mechanic… very level headed with an education in psychology… go figure). I jumped on the phone and let the repair shop know to be on the lookout for this… Jeep TJ’s all seem to have the same problems… and they did find that this terminal connection was corroded. But the Jeep started fine this morning before that. They cleaned the connection and, get this, the guy said they spent so little time on it that he would not charge me. Then he said, “Well, you tell me.” Before this the only business that we had done with him was to have both vehicles emission tested there. He had gone to Yvette’s location (ok, it was maybe 1/4 mile up the road), did some rudimentary troubleshooting that I had already talked Yvette thru on the phone, attempted to bump start (since it had plenty of battery power, just no starter). His mechanic spent at least a few minutes putting the thing on a lift, or at least crawling under it. So maybe it falls under his free estimate policy, but I flipped him $20 and we were both happy. Can you really get that kind of service anymore?

I continue to be encouraged by the earnest nature of the people that I have been encountering these days. (Pay it forward. You know who you are.)

Maybe the problem recurs, maybe it doesn’t. The man offered a service and he deserved something for his time. He didn’t snow me, and he didn’t sell me something I didn’t need just so that he could turn a profit. He may not have solved my problem, but he didn’t take advantage of me either. I respect that.

Anyway, after picking up the Jeep I trekked out to Mecca and started by doing some pickup spackling on the street side wall. It seems like I keep finding divots in the ever changing light; need to put a work light on the subject.

Geep, we love the Jeep, and especially like tooling around on our vacations in the open air. Mechanical things have that issue that they are never 100/ct reliable, but they, by their nature do become worn out and used up over time. I’ve driven beaters my whole life (up until inheriting the Ford… and the wife’s Dodge before that… that she flipped on its side! ...totaled). I need at least a sense of reliability before I “invest” a whole vacation, and the outcome of this massive effort on a chunk that has been showing more frequent trouble.

Bonnie, it wasn’t a charging issue. There was plenty of juice in the battery. It just was not getting to the starter. Chasing these electrical gremlins can be quite time consuming. I’m just glad that the shop didn’t “throw parts at it” guessing at a solution.

Sharon, I’m looking for a nice even medium brown color with an undertone of red, or even purple, but I want it to be an earth tone for sure, and a good contrast to the natural light color of the maple. The grain in the Okoume is fairly subdued and it takes color fairly evenly. I don’t really want the grain to “pop” (like oak), but I don’t mind a bit of character, either. What I really want is for the application of the finish to be simple, consistent over large areas, and, I am learning, agreeable under varying light conditions.

I’m going to have enough of a challenge dealing with the poly and getting a nice finish there that I don’t want to have trouble or second guesses on the color.

I ramble. :wine:

Like I said, the test pieces looked completely different under different lighting and the one we all thought would be “the one” now looked like pale salmon, as if the brown had all but faded out of it.

(Oops, I fell asleep last night while composing this and have now picked up where I left off.)

Friday now. Got some bubble wrap today, the kind with the small bubbles, to eventually be used vacuum bagging the inner wall skins.

Sanded street side spackle again. Scuffed the first coat of poly on all of the color samples with 320 grit and put another coat on.

Aligned the street side wall to the underside of the street side of the floor, laid out the screw holes for same, and drilled the countersunk holes (partially). The deck screws that I thought I was going to use ended up being a little short, so I need to make sure which screws I am going to need before finalizing the countersink and thru hole diameter.

Then I did a little more pick up work on the spackle. I just don’t know what the canvas will hide and what will project thru, so as they say, “the final coat is only as good as the prep work”. I hate body work, but the spackle is very light and sands very easy.

Big Mike has been very generous and has allowed me to exceed the normal photo gallery quota, so if you are able, I encourage you to become a donating member and support the forum by making a donation (see the donation tab in the header above).

I will show some respect by trying to keep the OT pic’s to a minimum. I want to continue with the story, so a few things might sneak in…

For example, last week after a stretch of warm weather we had a bunch of rain and the trees all popped out of hibernation as if at once. This is the road to Mecca in about the same spot that I showed the winter snow storm pic last.

I’m sure that the light is playing tricks on me, but I also am pretty sure that the color changed on the samples. The 4:1 red over brown that looked so good now looks pale and a bit too pink.

I went ahead and put poly on all. No flash, outside natural light at twilight.

Same thing, different angle.

Moving on, street underside of floor. I laid out the pattern for the screws that will hold the wall to the floor. I put a couple of screws a little closure together at each end, and staggered them on 6 inch centers all the way down. The wall sills are 1-1/2 thick, so I put the holes at 1/2 and 1 inch in from the outside, every other. My thinking is that this will form a more solid joint, rather than a hinge line.

I have been searching the interwebs for weather tight car door or hatch dome light switches to use for the hatch actuator safety interlock. The mid 80’s Mustang hatch switches have a rubber boot and are a good cylindrical shape that would be easy to mount in the wall sills under the draw latches.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-9cjrj?itemIdentifier=103845_0_0_

The problem is that the pigtail/matching connector plug is discontinued. The salvage yards around here are limited in size due to property values, so they tend to crush rather than hold on to older cars, so when I called around, no one has these old (?) Mustangs.

Did some searches on car alarm switches, too, but still nothing firm.

There’s a ton of these out there, it’s just that I am looking for a few specific features. Normally closed momentary (so that when the draw latches are open and the switches are not depressed, the circuit is made and the hatch actuator can operate off of the weather proof DPDT rocker switch), weather proof, simple shape (for easy thru wall mounting), the electrical connection straight thru the back, and electrical connection type that I can connect to relatively easily (spade, bullet, available connector, or even solder).

Thank you all for your support and interest in my build. :thumbsup:
Last edited by KCStudly on Sat May 18, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat May 18, 2013 7:29 am

The thing about Color is it changes with different Light!! ... and also changes depending on the colors that surround it ... A term we artists call "relative color” ... The reason I suggested the green curtains, because it would make the red , look even Redder'... “complementary colors “ ;)

Switches , connectors .... Mouser.com :thumbsup: They have EVERYTHING ... reasonable prices too ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat May 18, 2013 11:51 am

Ya gots me thinkin aboot old jeeps. :D

My first ever vehicle was a 1952 CJ3A that I got in about 63 when I was 13 years old. A year before I could get a license. We had a big farm then. About 5 miles long and 2 miles wide. Lots of dirt roads on it and some gravel county roads. I used it mostly for my irrigating that I was my main job. And anything else that needed to be done on the farm. When I was a senior in high school. I had to finally over haul the motor. Did every thing but the machine work myself. That spring I took it to school and during the noon hour I did what was said to be the first wheelie by a 4 wheeled vehicle in the schools history. After school let out that day there was about 6-8 cars that stayed in the parking lot. They couldn't let that ugly ole jeep show them up so they all tried to wheelie and did a lot of damage to their cars. :lol: :lol:

Among other adventures I did with it I also flew/jumped it about 20-30 feet. Purely by accident. And once was enough. In the summer I took the windshield completely off as the roads was just to dusty. Never did have a cab worth a hoot and only put it on one year. In the summer I would bolt a truck seat to the top of the rear wheel wells and me and 2 or 3 buddies would go spot lighting rabbits at night. Two setting in front and two in the rear was high enough they could shoot over the heads of the front people. We would shoot up over 500 rounds of 22 LR in a few hours. Terrorized many miles of deserted desert roads. Rabbits would often run at the head lights and run past the jeep and get away in the dark behind us. Until I mounted a head light back there. PETA is probably planning an action outside my door right now. Should I mention the times we had rabbit drives? Nothing like clubbing rabbits with a shovel handle.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat May 18, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks for the Jeep comments, all. We love the Jeep and would hate to have to part with it, even if for another Jeep!

I know all about keeping and parting with old cars.

Thank you, too, Randy for the trip down memory lane and the reality check about life out on the farm. When I was traveling in NZ (I think I already told the parachuting story?) the jumper we stayed with worked for the forestry industry and took us out jack lighting. We had rabbit stew for super! Not very sporting (and illegal), but still pretty tasty!

The build marches on.
My DeWalt countersinking/pilot hole drilling/quick change screw driver bit tool only drills a pilot hole for the screw. I used that to start all of the holes in the underside of the floor where the screws will go up thru into the bottom of the wall sill. For strong structural joints between the floor and wall I wanted to make sure that the joint pulls up tight, so I needed to drill out the floor side of the hole to be a clearance fit with the shank portion of the screw, otherwise the screw might not pull the two surfaces together if it were to bite on both sides of the joint with a gap in between.

The counter sinking bit and drill didn’t go all the way thru the floor, which was fine. I used one of the coated deck screws as a gauge to make sure the countersink was the correct depth, and a quick square as a guide to drill the holes relatively plumb. Then I used a scrap piece of pine clamped on to the top side of the floor (floor is bottom side up in the pic) to help prevent splintering as the larger clearance drill broke thru.
I love the smell of the cedar when it is worked.

Then I switched over to the curb side wall and laid on the first application of spackling.

Back to the screw holes. The drill I selected for the clearance hole was right about one-for-one on the screw (I wanted to keep the bearing area under the head of the screw as large as possible), so I went around with one of the screws and tapped it into each of the holes to clear all of them out just a bit (on a couple of holes I had hit the staples that were used at the edges of the skin panels).
Also note in this picture of the back of the floor where you can see the biscuits that were used to assemble the floor frame. There are a couple of small void spaces where the biscuits didn’t fill the slots completely.

At the front of the floor I had used the jigsaw and hand sanding to form the radius in the subframe. The shape did not come out plumb so when I routed the upper skin (bottom in pic) using the bottom skin (upper in pic) as a bearing guide it left a little ledge between the skin and subframe. I mixed up a small batch of polyester body filler (Bondo) to fair this and the biscuit voids in. It took two thin applications.
First go ‘round.

Final.

I haven’t decided if I need to ease the bottom edge for the canvas to wrap under. I don’t want to “celebrate” the joint between the cabin and trailer frame, yet the trailer frame already has a radius on its top edge; call it a drip edge/shadow line.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat May 18, 2013 6:58 pm

Illegal things? How about the 4th of july party we had with mucho illegal fireworks. And the Idaho Secretary of State.

:D
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat May 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Been there, done that at the company picnic held at the president's waterfront house. Annual party. Lot's of big mortars brought in from NH; very illegal here in CT ...and a big Sch 80 pipe cannon full of black powder stuffed with newspaper, kind of like a potato cannon, only much, much louder.

The multiple 100 ft belts of fire crackers are very loud and seem to go on forever, too.

Good thing the cops never come down to the wealthy neighborhood. ;) :roll:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Sat May 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:Illegal things? How about the 4th of july party we had with mucho illegal fireworks. And the Idaho Secretary of State.

Funny, My cousin and I were shooting fireworks between Naples and Bonner's Ferry one year. Cops came and told us fireworks were illegal in the entire state. We asked how come we could buy them at the stand just down the road and he said they could be sold with a permit, you just can't shoot them off. We promised not to shoot any more then took them to the big party across the state line in Montana. Almost set a car on fire because some one left the windows down.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat May 18, 2013 11:39 pm

wagondude wrote:
Wolffarmer wrote:Illegal things? How about the 4th of july party we had with mucho illegal fireworks. And the Idaho Secretary of State.

Funny, My cousin and I were shooting fireworks between Naples and Bonner's Ferry one year. Cops came and told us fireworks were illegal in the entire state. We asked how come we could buy them at the stand just down the road and he said they could be sold with a permit, you just can't shoot them off. We promised not to shoot any more then took them to the big party across the state line in Montana. Almost set a car on fire because some one left the windows down.

:rofl2:
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun May 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Forward progress. I seem to be getting about 2, maybe 3 hrs. in on the week days, and maybe 4 hrs. per weekend day lately.

I started by sanding out the first coat of spackling on the curb side outer wall, then stuck another coat on before standing that up. (No pic.)

Next I wanted to seal the underside of the floor, but when I got it all cleared off and swept clean I realized that I still had a couple of staples to be filled in that area where I had to shave the joint down a bit. So I mixed up a walnut sized wad of filler and skimmed it in.

While that was setting I got the bulkhead out and sanded the back side to level the foam and the wood.
Before flipping the bulkhead I drilled a locating pilot hole thru the middle of the bulkhead fan register.

Here is the pilot hole on the cabin side after flipping the bulkhead and just before plunging the router thru to open up the hole.

I set the plunge depth on the router so that it wouldn’t go so deep as to damage the floor, and plunged thru the pilot hole. I just sort of walked that around free hand to open the hole up for the flush cutting bit.

Then I switched to the bottom bearing flush cutting bit (so that it could ride around on the blocking opening on the inside) and set the depth stop on the plunge router so that it would make a full cut without the bearing retainer bolt riding on the floor/table below.

The cut went very well.

While I had only used weights to glue the lower exposed skins on the bulkhead, on the upper portions that will be in the insides of the cabinets I did use staples. I wasn’t sure if the wood putty I have been using would take the stain (or dye) evenly, so I dug out my door latch router fixture (that I knew had a section of ply skin stapled to it) and applied some of the wood filler so that I can do a dye/stain test.
I left a couple of staples unfilled in case I decide I want to test the filler premixed with color.

That gave the filler on the underside of the floor time to cure, so next I mixed some TB2 and water 2 to 1 and rolled it on to the underside of the floor as a sealer coat. Rolled the edges, too, then went back with the chip brush to double up on the ply edges and fill all of the screw holes. On the floor to wall screw holes I made sure to fill the chamfers up well, and then blew the excess glue down thru the hole to coat and clear excess. I may regret getting excess into the floor mounting thread inserts, but can chase those out with a bottoming tap, if need be.

Must have pulled a different muscle in my back yesterday flopping walls around, as I have a knot just above my right… er… hip. Yeah that’s it, just above my hip. So tight I had a hard time pushing the accelerator pedal to get home. Yikes.

As long as I stay moving, it’s not so bad, but if I sit or stand for any length of time it gets tight.

Ibuprofen, scotch and a nice rub are indicated.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby RandyG » Fri May 24, 2013 6:49 pm

Hey KC, It's been a while since I checked on ya. Everything looks to be coming together nicely! I too have a constant pain from tendonitis, Excedrin seems to be the best drug but only during the day as it has caffeine in it.
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri May 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Actually I've been laid up all week with a bad bout of sciatica. Not my usual back trouble.

Just starting to turn the corner today. Not sure that I will be up for anything this weekend.

Arrggg!

Thanks for checking in on me. I will get back to it as soon as I am moving around again.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri May 24, 2013 11:21 pm

Sciatica. not fun. Specially when you don't know why your legs do not work. First hit me when I was working at computer repair for a big company, rhymes with Hell. 4 days in a row at 2 pm. my legs quit working. Very strange

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat May 25, 2013 11:48 am

Feels more like I got kicked in the a** by a mule. If I stand, walk, or sit for more than a minute or so, the pain shoots down the back of my hamstring and my quad starts to twitch. :frightened:

With the meds I was given I can get comfortable if I lay on my left side in the fetal position with a pillow between my knees... and it makes me sleepy. So that is what I have been doing all week. :thumbdown:

Since we, technically, are not camping at the moment, I have not broken Rule #1.B. (Discussing medical issues), but feel free to shun me, regardless. :lol: :lol: :lol:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies