Silly Foamie Ideas

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby tinksdad » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:55 am

"She who camps with me" has decided that she really likes something in a more traditional shape. I want something with a small footprint (the cute factor!!); but I still have to fit in the amenities to keep her comfortable. After trying several different profiles, I stumbled across the Puffin thread again and thought that might be a do-able foamie clone. Widened it to 75" inside and I was able to squeeze in a double bed (54" wide) transversely utilizing my folding dinette arrangement. I'm 5'10" and she 5'4", so looking around 5'6" floor to ceiling. Hate to give up the space; but squeezed in a potty room with bifold doors for privacy. Convinced her that since we do the cooking outdoors that a detachable side table under the free standing awning I all ready have would work fine. A/C and plenty of storage in a small space (the cabin is only 8 feet long). Now just need to get final approval and save up to buy/find the right trailer frame. Once I have that in hand I can finalize some of the construction details (wheel wells, spar placement, etc) and let the foam dust fly. The goal is 600 pounds dry. Don't know if that's realistic or not.

tinksdad
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:08 pm

Sorry Dad , but you might have to ballast up to get to 600 lbs.. :roll:

It is a really CUTE design ... Glad she likes it ..... for now ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Tinksdad,

That is a cool design. I like the maximum utility, minimum footprint in an attractive package approach.

For a similar design, with a dropped floor, see Donutboy's Puffin for 4 build:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33938

It's more of a "traditional build" method, but the dimensions and layout are like your Sketchup drawing.

Take care,
Tom
Last edited by aggie79 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:27 pm

oh i like that. :thumbsup:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:25 pm

sandblaster wrote:i know that you have to have certifications to work on aircraft, and do different types of work., and this man has them. also has to be listed on the insurance policy of each aircraft. he said that he is on 40 something different policies.

anyway, unless someone is going to fly their foamie, it might work. we shall see.

Im a commercial pilot I worked for years on aircraft as a way to earn flying time I never heard of any of our AP or AE having to be on insurance policies I done most everything there is to be done from building engines to covering aircraft with fabric. we did have to sign the log-book on any repairs or rebuilds but not insurance policies. Is this something new and why would he be on the polices would he get the insurance money? but I've been wrong before.
pete CSMEL
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby IASCOTT » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:06 am

I'm a pilot and A&P and have my IA endorsement. I carry a liability policy that covers my mechanical work and the airplane for damage while its in my custody. The policy has a writer on it for hull coverage for when I need to fly an airplane before releasing it back to the owner. The only time I ever fly a customers plane is when I do some major engine work or have done some extensive airframe repairs. And of coarse this is only done with the owners permission.

Scott
IASCOTT
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:40 am

I always wanted to be a pilot ... bad eyes ... You guys are so Lucky to be able to do this ... I can only dream and pilot my little Foamie RC aircraft ... FWIW... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:51 pm

Dad

Paint the roof vent green and call it "The Great Pumpkin"

:R

It looks good to me. I fear the wind resistance would put a halt to my little tow vehicle.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby IASCOTT » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:45 am

GPW wrote:I always wanted to be a pilot ... bad eyes ... You guys are so Lucky to be able to do this ... I can only dream and pilot my little Foamie RC aircraft ... FWIW... :roll:

You can fly under what is called the light sport pilot. If you have a current drivers license and have never failed a flight physical you are good to go with no physical needed in the light sport category. The airplane also needs to be in the light sport category. Some instruction and you are on your way.

Scott
IASCOTT
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:21 am

Scott, thanks , but too old now !!! Unfulfilled dreams long forgotten... Happy just piloting a little trailer around now ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:32 am

Wolf, I think with the well rounded foamie edges , it'd be a little bit more slippery ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tinksdad » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:37 am

Wolffarmer wrote:Dad

Paint the roof vent green and call it "The Great Pumpkin"

:R

It looks good to me. I fear the wind resistance would put a halt to my little tow vehicle.

Randy

:lol: I just hate leaving things in Sketchup default gray. I always add some randomly picked color. Kind of like going into Big Orange and getting a gallon of "Ooops" paint. The pumpkin idea occurred to me when I did it. I could always tell "she who camps with me" that I'm changing my name to Peter Pumpkin Eater; but then she might hit me.

I have the same concern about the total frontal area adding a lot of drag, and I'm towing with a V-6 Mazda B3000 (lot of dirty air behind a pickup truck). I may change the curves a little more and see what it looks like if I drop the front curve to where it just starts even with the top of the tailgate. That's the nice thing about being able to design before making any final decisions. Also thinking about stretching it another 6" and going queen size bed instead of double.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:20 pm

TD

If you are going to use a pickup I would think about putting a camper shell on it. I towed my TD with my 1989 B2600 Mazda to Death Valley, No camper shell. I have not used that configuration for long distance since. Crimmany there was a load of drag.

Now I mostly use a 2000 Suzuki Sidekick to pull it. And am constantly thinking of ways to keep the air from getting behind the TV.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby inventing_man » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:44 pm

GPW wrote:I always wanted to be a pilot ... bad eyes ... You guys are so Lucky to be able to do this ... I can only dream and pilot my little Foamie RC aircraft ... FWIW... :roll:

Not True GPW !!! Dream not ...DO! :applause: Get into Trike Powered Paragliding , or if you can still run a little Go foot launch Powered paragliding . Ether one will fit in your TC or TD ! And Wow you wont believe the feeling . Its as close as any human will ever get to actually feel what a bird feels . :o
FAA FAR 103 unregulated recreational flight . You could be totally blind and fly ...well not really , but you get what I'm saying . ;)
inventing_man
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:51 am

IM . Thanks , Thanks , but my running , leaping , and flying days are long past ... TOO OLD !!! I did however try hang gliding once back in '75 when I actually flew a couple hundred feet ... That was Cool !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies