Aluminum over foam ???

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Aluminum over foam ???

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:00 pm

Seems like a good idea ... We know it's difficult over wood (float required) But the question is , does foam and aluminum expand and contract in a similar compatible manner ... ??? Thinking about siding ... vinyl and aluminum siding expand and contract very much alike ... Although I've never seen any , some have reported panels like this available commercially , and the RV tech who befriended me even mentioned fabricating some TD s with this material combination ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:39 pm

Sooooo, who's gonna be the guinea pig for this one :QM :QM :QM Not me!! :no: :no: :no: Aluminum made me nervous when I thought about a conventional build,so don't think I'm gonna try it on a foamie.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:53 am

Kid , don't get too excited , it's just "theoretical" at this point ... Some guys are really good at fabricating with metal ... a project best left to those with the understanding and tooling ... Only reason it was mentioned was we've seen Many pics of so much wood Rot under the aluminum where it leaked ... (seems Common) ... with foam underneath , even a big leak wouldn't do much ... Just crumbs for thought ... :thinking:

And then there's something Fun about using pop rivets ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:55 am

GPW wrote:Kid , don't get too excited , it's just "theoretical" at this point ... Some guys are really good at fabricating with metal ... a project best left to those with the understanding and tooling ... Only reason it was mentioned was we've seen Many pics of so much wood Rot under the aluminum where it leaked ... (seems Common) ... with foam underneath , even a big leak wouldn't do much ... Just crumbs for thought ... :thinking:

And then there's something Fun about using pop rivets ... :D

While the foam underneath aluminum solves the wood rot situation, it will not prevent the mold issue. The smell of mold just drives me nuts!! It all started with tents and then the popup, oiy! LOL

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:02 pm

Mold remediation requires an aggressive attack , bleach alone won't do it ... Much experience with that here in our Humidity ... Too Much !!! :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies