different fabrics with titebond 2

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

different fabrics with titebond 2

Postby dogeron52 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:50 pm

I have been lurking a long time. Every question I might have thought of I first search and there it is. But now I wonder how different fabrics would work (mostly due to cost), such as muslin, burlap, and someone made mention of bedsheets. I have been reading that TB2 needs to cure for up to a month to be really cured. So my question is: does it matter what material
you use if it needs to cure for a while. I for one am going to gather muslin, canvas,burlap and use an old bedsheet and test test test. Looks like every time I come up with a plan for a trailer, I see some new twist to an old way of doing things and I revise the plan!

Marty :thinking: javascript:emoticon(':thinking:')
dogeron52
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Dog , I used bedsheets inside on mine .... Burlap would work and give a nice texture ... When in doubt , just put two layers on ... :thumbsup:

Just a day or two for the T2 to cure ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:46 pm

i used canvas.

agree with gpw, only a day or two for it to dry. if the weather is pretty hot out, like in the 90's in summer, you don't even have to wait that long.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby dogeron52 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:53 pm

then I am probably getting confused with epoxy resin and titebond. I have been researching so much I am mixing the properties of different approaches to cost reduction and just am going nuts. (and we all know the tenuous hold on that notion) :?
dogeron52
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:59 am

Dog , there is a LOT to assimilate ... hard to keep up with all the personal innovations ... It’s as if we started at a central hub , and then everybody took off in different directions ... Such Creative diversity is so inspiring , just hard to keep track of ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:04 pm

I agree with GPW. So much great thinking being shared that it's hard to keep it all straight in your mind. In thinking about it though, I don't think there have been any terrible or unworkable ideas. Some ideas/techniques/materials might work better than others, but I think they would all work, it's just a matter of how well it works for YOU!!! The questions I keep asking myself are Do you have the time/patience to do it this way?, Are you comfortable with the materials/techniques involved?, Does it work with the other things you're doing/using? Will you be happy with the end result?

Just do what works for you and satisfies you!!! GO FOR IT 8) 8)
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:04 pm

Here’s a good question to ask yourself: How much time ,weight, money ,tools, and energy would it take to make one out of WOOD ... :o :roll: :thinking:

All the answers say “ Much Lessâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mauleskinner » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:11 pm

My only thought would be that, as a thicker material, burlap would require a LOT more filler than other cotton/muslin products.

David
Mauleskinner
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Mauleskinner wrote:My only thought would be that, as a thicker material, burlap would require a LOT more filler than other cotton/muslin products.

David

I agree. A whole lot more of what ever you want to use. Make it more expensive, heavier and longer to build. Forget burlap unless you are just surface gluing it to something for decoration.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:42 am

I always thought that Jute sacks would make a very Strong , very inexpensive covering material ... More of a rustic look ... but with a “naturalâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:51 am

Speaking of fabrics ... one of my all time favorite’s is Camo Net ... Polyester , very STRONG , cheap too ... It would show a nice weave on the surface and paints very easily ... I’ve used it as a longbow backing for many years now , and never had a failure, even as it’s required to bend and stretch over and over ... Good stuff !!!! Now is the time to look for it ,being on the verge of hunting season , all the sports stores will have it ... Sometimes even Wal Mart has it ... It feels thin and the weave is very open , but try to tear it ... STRONG , Light ... May be even more thrifty than canvas , maybe after the season ... on sale ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dogeron52 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:15 pm

well I started my fabrics project today. I discovered that gatorboard I believe is foam covered with Kraft paper. and you can get different thicknesses. So I took 1 1/2 in foam board and tried to cover it with kraft paper,then start covering that with fabric.I have a bed sheet, muslin,duck cloth canvas,burlap, and some plastic fabric that i used on a seat for my bike it looks like screen for windows only thicker. No idea how this will work out but I am taking video and pictures. I will post when the glue dries.

dogeron
dogeron52
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dogeron52 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:21 pm

from early tests plastic fabric is out obviously.It wouldnt stick as I thought because the glue doesnt permeate the fabric. The kraft paper underneath worries me that it pulls up rather easily. (no puncture marks for glue intrusion) Maybe I am overthinking this as I dont have any fabric or the paper completely around the structure sealing it. I like the canvas,muslin,bed sheet and even the burlap. pictures to follow.

Dogeron
dogeron52
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dogeron52 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:32 pm

pics of fabrics with TB2.
[img][http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=85043[/img][/img]
Image[img]
Image[img]
[img][img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=85041[/img][/img][/img]
[img][img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=85039[/img][/img][/img]
dogeron52
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:39 am

yes, the fabric WILL come off, it will peel without too much work. however, it will be wrapped. "THE SOCK" effect. no need to worry about that peeling or lifting.

sort of like "the hammer". a hammer to the foamie might do some damage, but are you really going to use a hammer on it?

so since i am not going to (on purpose) peel my fabric off, i am not worried at all.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies