Door Hinges in Foam?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:40 pm

Stealth TDI wrote:Hello,

eaglesdare wrote:on my build i just added wood blocks where needed for the screws. i did not use the whole door frame.

I remember seeing a photo of that. I just couldn't recall where I saw it or who did it. ;)

[quote="GPW"]Stealth , wood works great ... a simple door frame allows you to hinge and attach everything ... 1X , 2X s work great as long as the wood is actually 2â€
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby DJT » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:44 pm

eaglesdare wrote:
just don't ask gpw about how well the foamies can handle a hammer. :lol: as long as you don't ask that then you will be fine.

:hammerhead: :lol:
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:49 pm

And I have never found the search feature here to be of much use. of course I probably need some lessons in using it.

And I know what Eagles mean about some replies in other sections of the forum. But I have never seen that here and i hope I never do it myself.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:28 am

I remember seeing a photo of that. I just couldn't recall where I saw it or who did it.

Wood blocks ?
I used 4/4 red cedar blocks on mine. My build is on hold for the time being (though I did get some primer on the deck yesterday) but I've got the door laid up.
Here's the pic, if that's what you're thinking of. I've tied them into splines (rails) running down the length of the door to spread the load.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:26 am

yes that is what we did. i have no idea how big out blocks were, just scrap wood laying around the house. but only big enough for the hindge screws to fit. we cut the foam out and put the blocks in then covered in canvas.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:37 am

Somebody say Hammer ??? :o ... :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:15 am

if someone ask a question that has been answered many times before but I don't understand the answers someone's NEW answer may make sense to me and I'll have an a-ha moment.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:56 am

This is all about an Information exchange ... Many people thinking about a concept is much better than one person thinking about it , wrongly !!!
So there’s no such thing as a Dumb question ... well mostly anyway .. :roll:

And while we’re on the subject of doors and hinges , what about “edge" finishing ??? A little Aluminum strip around door edges sure looks good ... If we provide a proper door frame to screw it to ... just a thought ... :thinking:
For example , I found some Al "stair edgingâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:15 am

that is really looking good but man, you are certaintly putting mine to shame. :cry:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:45 am

I’ve just been putting around with mine , doing little detailed things when I can ... Still waiting on that HF trailer ... month now , no response ... :roll:

Eagle I think your Foamie came out Cool !!! 8) Just a few more decorative “touchesâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby DJT » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:31 pm

I remember someone pondering fabric hinge options (maybe for the hatch)? I wonder if it could work with heavy enough canvas?
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:43 pm

GPW wrote:Somebody say Hammer ??? :o ... :lol:

UHHHHH noooooo. I think it was ummmm "Hummer" We don't want to go down the hammer road again :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:52 pm

[quote="GPW"]This is all about an Information exchange ... Many people thinking about a concept is much better than one person thinking about it , wrongly !!!
So there’s no such thing as a Dumb question ... well mostly anyway .. :roll:

And while we’re on the subject of doors and hinges , what about “edge" finishing ??? A little Aluminum strip around door edges sure looks good ... If we provide a proper door frame to screw it to ... just a thought ... :thinking:
For example , I found some Al "stair edgingâ€
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:10 am

DJ, JMHO , I don’t think fabric hinges are practical , unless you use a fabric that was very durable ... probably not as strong as conventional hinging ... a combination of both might be the best idea as it would hinge and seal ... :thinking:
Kid , I just wanted something that would protect the high wear area... and act as a threshold ... the wood framed door edges and door frame seem to be fine just covered with the fabric alone ... The Aluminum edging does give it a more professional look though ... ;) It was like the finishing touch on my entry ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:06 am

GPW, I think the main reason I was thinking about AL edging and thresholds was because that's how the big boys do it. In retrospect, maybe our way with the fabric and wood will be just fine. Gotta agree with the finishing touch look though... I'm still on the fence with it since it's a detail that can be added later without too much effort. I'll deal with it when I get the doors cutout and hung.
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies