Fiberglass Screen

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Fiberglass Screen

Postby 8 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:04 pm

What do people think about using used fiberglass screen as a layer of cloth? I don't think it could replace cloth, but I would think it could be added just to make things a little stiffer. I have some six foot square scraps which were removed from a screen room. I also have two 4x8' screens on my porch which have some small rips and will require replacement. I'm sure it would be considered garbage by local pros who replace screens. I saw a pile of it on the side of the road on the way to work this week. I would only consider used screen. New screen is about $130 for a 100'x7' roll at the orange box.
It's not fun and games until someone loses an eye.
Visit my blog ... http://www.64ox.com
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Certainly worth a try .... the skin is the skin and the stronger it is the Better eh ? :thinking: Recycling is always GOOD !!!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:18 pm

Fiberglass screen is certainly worthy of consideration. The only issue I had with it and the reason I decided against it was that it would be pretty hard to fill in the weave. If you don't mind the weave showing through, it should work well.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:46 pm

You know , I think we really need to re-think that weave business ... :o Having painted on canvas for most of my life , I Never expected a shiny flat finish ... for that I used untempered Masonite .. (Art)

Weave on a canvas covered Foamie trailer is the “Nature of the Beastâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:46 pm

I guess I might be the only one worried about the weave showing through. But for some reason, I just can't shake it. I'd really like to have a fairly smooth surface. But I agree, if the thought of weave showing through doesn't bother you, I'd think that it should work well. I even thought about the nylon mesh you can buy in the fabric store. I think it's pretty tough stuff but I'm not sure how wide you can get it and the cost vs. canvas fabric. Since this is a somewhat new method of building, new ideas are bound to pop up. I like the thinking goin' on around here!!!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 am

Mel , we’ve used polyester camo net on other projects as a covering ... it’s smoother than the canvas ... just another idea :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:50 am

Where are you getting the camo net? I looked and didn't see any at a cost I could afford. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:18 am

I found some at the Wal Mart , on sale after hunting season ... Cheap ... been looking lately , but since they “rearranged everything “ (eliminating many of the popular low Profit items ) I haven’t seen any ... :roll:
Stuff I got was a generic camo screen , polyester, very strong yet light , very Open weave ... couldn’t tear it with your hands ... worked Great on many projects , including some longbow backings , so we know it’s Strong ... I even covered a guitar amp cabinet with it for a sorta’ Ted Nugent friend of mine ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:19 am

this was a link gpw posted early on in that huge thread:
http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/ ... =404518309
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:38 am

Thanks Eagle ... looked like the same thing but mine was MUCH cheaper ... :o 29 bucks ... who are they kidding ..??? :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies