Foam getting harder to find

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Foam getting harder to find

Postby atahoekid » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:09 pm

I need to buy some more foam to keep progressing on the Road Foamie. I went back to the big orange box store where I bought my first batch and they were out of 1" and the only 2" foam that was left was pretty beat up and it didn't look like they had restocked since I bought my last batch from them a couple months ago. So I went to two other orange boxes and two big blue boxes and discovered that they only had the white foam or the off white foam with the foil back. I also went to another builder supply and found only the white board. PANIC TIME!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I think I found some at a builders supply but I'll call them in the morning before taking the drive down the hill to ensure they have it. Is anyone else having the same issue? Is Owens Corning or Dow not making any more of it or are the big box stores just not carrying it?

Is anyone else having the same issue? Maybe too many of us are building foamies... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby crttaz » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:51 am

or other like me are using pink "foam" to ship items :)
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:50 am

i remember when we first thought of the 2" foam, several of us from all around the states started looking for it. i remember that not 1 person found it. then all of a sudden it was everywhere and we were all building.
our big thread started i believe around nov? and its almost nov, so perhaps this is a seasonal thing.

i hope you can find something that will work for you.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:55 am

Maybe not enough of us are building Foamies ... :o Thinking with the slow economy , the stores aren’t stocking the less popular items like they used to as a convenience to the customers ... All about Profit now !!! :twisted:
Seems like with homeowners , if there are any left , there would be a rush to well insulate their abodes from the current weather extremes ... The more common fiberglass insulation probably far outselling the Foam ... If more people used/bought Foam, They’d stock LOTS of it right ... :roll:

Build MORE Foamie trailers .... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby CARS » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:33 am

Just a guess, but could it be because of your location?? All the stores in snowy MN have pallets of everything from 1/4" fan-fold to 2 densities of 2" (Under concrete foam is denser than normal foam).

I'll ship a pallet out to you... for a price :lol:
Chris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

CARS
The 300 Club

Postby atahoekid » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:53 am

Up here in Northern Nevada, it gets real snowy... We had 18 FEET of snow at our local ski resorts last year... Lots of the white foam and lots of the stuff with foil backing and tons of batt insulation, just kinda hard to find the rigid pink or blue stuff. My mission today is to find some somewhere in Reno. I've got things I want to accomplish this weekend. I'm crossing my fingers and saying a couple of prayers. :worship: :worship: If I don't find it in Reno, it's off to Norcal next. :x :x
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:12 am

Mel. I’m still thinking that white “bead boardâ€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:41 am

when i was in lowes lastnight i checked our foam. we still have a lot, but not as much. but still enough to build with.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:45 am

Eagle ,they want 30 bucks a sheet here for the two inch (quote) , which they don’t stock ... :o What are they getting there ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:32 am

oh yeah its expensive. here it is 27 a sheet. but i get the 10% discount, so a little cheaper. but that is what in have been paying,.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:56 am

That is a better price .. :thumbsup: I talked to a store manager here and since they don’t /won’t stock it (2â€
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:00 pm

I found exactly what I needed at a building supply company. WHEW!!! :) :D :) Funny thing is, I then had to run to the big orange to buy some batteries and light bulbs. Guess what the store had back in stock!!! :o :o Oh well, didn't cost me any money, just a bit of time... But it is odd, not all the big orange stores stock the same stuff. The three other big oranges don't and never have stocked the rigid pink foam. Odd... :? :? anyway, all is back to good!
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:28 pm

:thumbsup: 8) :applause:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RogHodge » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:20 pm

I posted this in the long thread but it may be better here-
For what it’s worth if you contact Dow or Owens-Corning directly they can help you find distributors and possibly retail outlets in your area- for example;
I spoke with Kate at “blue linksâ€
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33547
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:33 am

well that does sound promising.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies