Foamie Boat- Update 6/19/12

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Foamie Boat- Update 6/19/12

Postby Rosey » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi All! I started a little foamie project last week using 3/4" foam. We'll see how it goes! Best case I end up with a usable boat, worst case I get to try a "foamie" project where I end up learning something. :D I thought I had done a decent job with the picture documentary but realize looking at the pictures I missed a couple big steps.
To begin the project I went to GPW's favorite store and picked up a new belt sander. :lol: I then went to the lumber yard in search of 1Xs. They had some cypress fence planks for a reasonable price so I picked up a few of them to rip into 1 1/4 strips. Cypress seems much lighter then pine or cedar, has few knots and doesn't rot. :thumbsup:
It was roughcut so it needed some some sanding.

The plans called for two panels glued end to end. I'm using the Hot Foam Factory glue. It seemed to do a good job. I used duct tape on the back side to hold it together and keep the glue from leaking out. On the front side I put a several spot welds with the hot glue gun.

After pulling the plastic off the foam I drew out the plan. I'm using a plan for a skiff, out of Jim Michalak's book Boatbuilding for Beginners and Beyond.Image

This is the part of the build where I did a poor job of taking pictures. I ripped all the fence boards down and cut all the forms out of the foam. I framed the forms with the 1 1/4" strips. and then dry assembled the boat.

The boat is now glued together, hope it is straight. :worship:

It's been fun so far!
Last edited by Rosey on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:20 am, edited 16 times in total.
Rosey
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:19 pm

:thinking: Interesting
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Papi » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:15 pm

:ok:
I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned.
Papi
Teardrop Master

Postby DJT » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:59 pm

That is cool! I can only imagine what the neighbors think! :)
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby Rosey » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:36 am

My neighbors have thought I was nuts for sometime :? I think this confirmed it! It has gotten a lot of interest, though only one volunteer for the maiden voyage :lol: Several have volunteered to watch from shore, chickens! And one volunteered to come break the champagne bottle. I think champagne might be a bit too high class for a boat of this caliber :) Maybe Miller High Life instead (The Champagne of beers)
Rosey
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:31 am

Looking Good Rosey !!! Are you planning on covering the foam with some fabric ??? That would add a Lot of strength and not much weight ... some strips of wood on the upper edges of the sides would eliminate any wear in this area (Gunwale) ... , make it stronger too ... Keel strip on the bottom too ..
If you need any help, please let me know ... I’ve built a few boats in the past , and have some ideas about how to make it sturdy , yet Light ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:33 am

that is really, really cool! :applause:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Rosey » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:56 am

GPW,
I am planning on doing a fabric type covering thing. The long skinny strips (also cypress) to the right of the boat in the picture are the wales, chines and runners for the bottom. Still much work to be done! I'll try to keep you posted as I progress. :)
Rosey
Teardrop Master

Postby atahoekid » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Great project!!! Someone a while back posted a link to a lady who finishes canvas canoes and they come out with an almost mirror finish. I can't seem to find the link right now but google "canvas canoe finish" and you'll see the end products. It takes weeks to do but maybe your foamling boat could end up like that. In my opinion you could be on to something very cool! Keep up the good work!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Larry C » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:05 pm

I applaud your project, however, from your photos, the design looks very narrow for the length. Maybe it is just the photo, but it looks to me like it will be tough to keep it upright.

Larry C
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby DJT » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:19 am

I don't think so Larry. It looks similar, proportion-wise, to a typical canoe. If the finished shape keeps those hard chines it will have very good initial stability, but almost no secondary at all. Good thing will be it will have excellent bouyancy if flooded! :lol:
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:35 am

The popular boat around here, the Pirogue, is notoriously tricky , easy to tip, and requires a good deal of skill and balance .. Rosey’s looks Much more stable , especially with the requisite cooler of Beer as ballast ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Rosey » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Small update. Today the chines were dry fit. Image
Rosey
Teardrop Master

Postby hoytedow » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi, Rosey.

Please visit http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/ for any questions or to research a lot of things that have been found to work well.
Happy trails,
Hoyt
hoytedow
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:14 am

Rosey , please check bulkhead #3 (from the front) which seems too narrow , from what we can see from the pics ... easy to widen it if you have to ... just split the bulkhead down the middle and add foam in the middle to the width required to produce a smooth curve ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies