Interesting reading about foam core panels.

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Interesting reading about foam core panels.

Postby loaderman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:44 am

"It is estimated that by increasing the sandwich thickness by two, the panel will become 12 times as stiff and six times as strong. The advantage of a sandwich is that little weight is added when increasing the thickness." http://www.sandwichpanels.org/articles/article_sandwichoanelcores.html

"Based on my spreadsheet, a 4’x8’ panel comprised of a ½” BC plywood (5-ply) top and bottom lid and a 2” extruded polystyrene core (i.e., pink or blue rigid foam insulation board) can carry a load of 41 pounds per square foot,"
http://theatreface.ning.com/profiles/blog/show?id=2529492%3ABlogPost%3A147917&commentId=2529492%3AComment%3A148435&xg_source=activity
Last edited by loaderman on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loaderman
The 300 Club

Re: Interesting reading abuot foam core panels.

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:53 am

We’ve been saying all along , when in doubt make the foam thicker ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Interesting reading about foam core panels.

Postby pete42 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:46 am

Interesting confirmation to what Glenn has been saying. :thumbsup:

Double the thickness six times as strong........let's see; at 16 I was this thick, at 70 I'm now this thick................hummmm

nope I don't feel six times as strong must not work in all cases. :o

oh well........lets have another beer........... :beer:
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:31 am

how about wine instead of beer :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:46 am

Think about it ... how secure would feel with a 4” thick wall , or a 6” thick wall ? ... :thinking: As L' has confirmed . thicker IS stronger , and my Little foamie is stronger because the 2” material is “relatively” thicker than it would be on a larger Foamie ... Does that make sense ? Think of the Insulation factor of a thicker material too ... :thinking: Foam is still the lightest part of the equation , so you can use a LOT of it without much weight penalty ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:03 am

For those that would feel even more secure with a thicker skin , but prefer the ease of using canvas for the panel skin ... we have seen and painted on some extremely Heavy (thick) canvas in the past .. Incredibly Strong , a Bit heavier too ... obviously more expensive ... but if you want strength .. :roll: It’s out there... just have to look around the industrial sites ... Ever see a canvas fire hose ... TOUGH stuff ... !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby loaderman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:36 pm

Yep, makes sense, just real good to have numbers to back it up.
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby atahoekid » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:24 am

Facts like these might even convince the naysayers. I never thought of it as a core panel when I started my build but when you stop, step back and take a look, that's exactly what we're building. If I had thought about it as core panels originally, I might have gone about my build a bit differently. Vacuum bagging even starts making sense...
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:58 am

QUOTE: “ Facts like these might even convince the naysayers. “ .... Not likely ... unless they’ve actually Built one ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:02 pm

Sorry, the optimist in me got carried away.... 8) :lol: 8) :lol:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby angib » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:16 pm

loaderman wrote:"Based on my spreadsheet, a 4’x8’ panel comprised of a ½” BC plywood (5-ply) top and bottom lid and a 2” extruded polystyrene core (i.e., pink or blue rigid foam insulation board) can carry a load of 41 pounds per square foot,"

Two half-inch ply skins on 2" foam core is hardly lightweight material is it? And I wonder if the guy has actually done all the stress calcs and not just the bending one - I would expect the insulation foam to fail in shear long before the ply skins failed. Real foam-core structures are made with structural foam that is slightly less expensive than gold, but only slightly.

We don;t seem to be seeing forum members posting a flood of finished foam teardrops, which may be because it's easy to start a foamie but not so easy to finish it?
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:02 pm

See what I mean !!! :roll: Guess they told the Wright Bros. that too ... we know how that turned out ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:38 pm

With the display of how simple paper and elmer's glue can more than triple the load on the foam, why does everyone get their head wrapped around using heavy materials on the skin such as 1/4 plywood? I've used 1/8" luan on all mine and can walk on it at almost 200 pounds so I'm just confused why people keep using 1/4 and 1/2 in their torsion box builds.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:12 pm

As it has been explained to me an "I" beam gets stronger proportional to the Cube (3rd power) of the distance between the horizontal elements. So a beam 2" high is 8 times stronger than a beam 1" high.

Here's the formula (but it's in "Greek") Image

In reality I think the foam/skin bond would break down prior to reaching this predicted strength but it supports the notion espoused earlier.

I'm not sure why the formula won't show but it's in my album: gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1588&image_id=87997

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby loaderman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:34 pm

the link says I am not authorized. :cry:
loaderman
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Foamies