Foamie weight versus sandwich design

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Foamie weight versus sandwich design

Postby bbbbbb9 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:51 am

Has anyone calculated the weight of a foamie versus a comparable sandwich wall TD? I did a few searches and couldn't really get an answer.

Thanks in advance
bbbbbb9
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Foamie weight versus sandwich design

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:10 pm

B9 , a lot depends on what type of Foamie you choose to build , and what kind of “sandwich” ... many variations possible , but I’d think the Foamie would be lighter all around ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bbbbbb9 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:14 pm

10-4. Yeah it's really hard to say until you saw what type of wall framing was in the sandwich design. I was thinking 1/8 luan both sides, 1 inch spruce or poplar (actually 3/4 inch thick) cut to 2 inch widths fro framing filled with 3/4 foam.

Thanks
bbbbbb9
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:48 pm

I’d be looking for something better than Luan .... it doesn’t have a a good reputation around here... :o :frightened: :NC
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:07 am

I would definitely say that the foamie wall is lighter. I can lift my sidewalls (roughly 4 1/2 ft x 11 ft, 2" thick) single handedly. After having built my walls with 5mm lauan interior walls and a fiberglass exterior skin (you can also use canvas), I would question why you want any internal framing. The composite panel is plenty strong enough. Unconventional but works well. The long foamie thread handles the question of structural integrity early on so you probably don't need to read all 300+ pages to be convinced... :shock: :? :shock: :?
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bbbbbb9 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks Mel
bbbbbb9
Teardrop Inspector

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:06 am

Its a dance of light vs safety vs cost vs ease of build.....I know that some flaming comes with the safety issue but it boils down to if you are sleeping in it and a large tree branch falls off a tree from a wind storm how safe are you? My sandwich skinned builds are heavier than straight foam but ALL of my builds I have been able to walk on the roof with 3/4" inner width on my walls totalling around 1" after inner and outer surfaces are on. I'm crazy but I'm not going to build with a canvas skin and walk on it because I'm pretty sure it will either split or I'll go through it.

So usage can determine how to build...in Glen's case he will only use in case of evac which can be reality but highly unlikely so his need for strength and longevity are very different than someone going to take it out many times a year with better chances of the one off thing happening.

Of course I build to sell so safety is utmost in my world so I'm on the other end of the spectrum indeed. I built a 4 x 8 with aluminum minimal framing and came in at 580 and can still drop a bit more going to formica siding and a trim change probably in the 400s so you can still do sandwich and build light but you have to choose materials carefully.

And if I were to just get creative and slap one together just for me honestly I'd be tempted to go almost all foam build and see how nice I could get it to turn out. I'm finally about to enter the world of building almost all standies so its going to get fun for me. The majority of joe public just don't get how cool a rolling bedroom with amenities really is.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:52 pm

QUOTE: "if you are sleeping in it and a large tree branch falls off a tree from a wind storm how safe are you? " ... True , but consider this , a relatively small branch fell on the roof of my 20K RV TT and went right through the roof , a big chunk landing right on the dinette/bed :o ... so how safe is anybody ??? Living IN a hardwood forest , I've learned not to park anything I like under a tree... the trees "give" frequently ... so whether camping , evac or storage , Don't park under a tree (or even near one) , and Don't Feed the Bears ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Here are two examples of 5mm, ¾ foam, 5mm sandwich framed campers. As you can see, they are quite a bit larger than a traditional teardrop – but more important is to look at the weights – both were weighed at certified scales
starleen2 wrote:Finally, the top hinge is now sealed and functions just fine. Stopped in at the county office and registered the camper. Did a test tow down the road up to 70 mph and pulls just fine. Even stopped by the scales and got the whole thing officially weighed – 950 lbs! Now to go camping :thumbsup:

Build thread
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=27592&start=150
starleen2 wrote:Got the Green Lantern weighed today and it topped the scales at 1160 lbs fully equipped and loaded :) . I am pleased how it towed and how it turned out - Thanks everyone for the kind comments :)

Build thread
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=40943&start=210
Just the other side of the question. . . . .
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby ghcoe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:57 pm

linuxmanxxx wrote:if you are sleeping in it and a large tree branch falls off a tree from a wind storm how safe are you?

Safer than if I was sleeping in a tent.....

I think in a lot of ways if may be safer. At least you only have foam and tree coming at you instead of splintered trailer wood and tree.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:58 am

And now an experienced word about trees falling on things .... Depends on the size of the tree, and your construction ...
As a kid we camped out all the time in Pup tents , never a problem with limbs, etc. But when I camped up in the high lonesome of Colorado , we had to be careful , because the beavers would chew and fell trees at night , waking up in the morning there would be an Aspen lying next to the tent ... :o

If you’re worried about limbs , best Not park under a tree... or build your house next to a tree...
Attachments
DSCF0044.jpg
DSCF0044.jpg (255 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies