Sixtoedkatz our hybrid build

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Sixtoedkatz our hybrid build

Postby sixtoedkatz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:23 pm

So, I have been haunting this site for 3 years. Bought a 1968 Serro Scotty that we have camped in for 2 years but I still have a bug for a tear. So after alot of thought and input from my girls, we are building a Foam standie hybrid. Also closely following foamie builds so I don't make mistakes! :) :)
I'll try to post pics and build progress. 9548995490 Here is the rough drawing.
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Re: Sixtoedkatz our hybrid build

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:36 pm

6, Looks Good !!! There are no rules , so harder to make a mistake with only a few simple guidelines... Just build what You need and like ... :thumbsup: ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby sixtoedkatz » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:32 am

Thanks GPW! Wanted a wood sided but after seeing what happened to Mike's too afraid I wouldn't get it tight enough not to leak. Here's some progress95497954989549995500955019550295503955049550595506955079550895509
Attaching the floor but the girls have felt I need more support in some areas. I will send them under the trailer to fix. This is a hands on project for them! =)
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Postby sixtoedkatz » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:49 am

Starting on the old garage doors that I got off the side of the road. "Sign said must take all parts!" :D WIll take the scrap metal to recycle center to get more $$ for the build. 95571955729557395574
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Postby atahoekid » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:00 am

I like it!!! I'm looking at your floor and I think that it looks pretty sturdy! Not sure I would go through the expense or trouble of trying to beef it up. If it's going to be a standy then I can see maybe doing that. Just stand on it and give it the bounce test. If it flexes too much then go ahead. If you're not going to be standing in it, remember that when you lie down in the tear, your weight is distributed over a larger area therefore less support needed.

Glad to see your girls are involved. My sons involvement has been to help me move the larger (not very heavy) pieces around.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby sixtoedkatz » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks atahoekid. It is a standy. Didn't pass my girls bounce test. (Teenagers.. pick my battles.) Just needs a little more support in the middle where the door's going :) Need to bolt the floor down in back to where the pull out galley goes under the bed. I waited to see how the fit was going. Not totally sq. :roll: but it's working. Thanks for the input!
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Postby atahoekid » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:36 am

You're right about picking the battles... :roll: :roll: I think it was on the looooooong thread that we got to talking about "seems about right" engineering. Lots of that going on around here. It may lead to some overbuilding but there's something to be said for peace of mind and confidence in your build.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby sixtoedkatz » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:49 pm

You are soo right. Overbuilding is ok and good enough engineering is the best I can do. I have poked around in the Looong thread. :lol: I try to search for it first because that thread is veryyyyy loooong! But extremely helpful too!
Here's the faux wood floor I am thinking about doing. Played with it today before work. Love Bonnie's floor so I googled and am trying it out! :) 95712 Was told by the testing committee (aka picky girl teenagers!) That the floor must be "soft". Passed the barefoot test with 2 poly coats. Told them there would be about 5-6 on "real" floor. Stamp of approval. It's a go. 8)
I also love sharon's floor with the leaves in it. Very beautiful!
Last edited by sixtoedkatz on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Postby atahoekid » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:36 am

sixtoedkatz wrote: (aka picky girl teenagers!)

Are there any other kind
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:18 am

sixtoedkatz wrote:You are soo right. Overbuilding is ok and good enough engineering is the best I can do. I have poked around in the Looong thread. :lol: I try to search for it first because that thread is veryyyyy loooong! But extremely helpful too!
Here's the faux wood floor I am thinking about doing. Played with it today before work. Love Bonnie's floor so I googled and am trying it out! :) 95712 Was told by the testing committee (aka picky girl teenagers!) That the floor must be "soft". Passed the barefoot test with 2 poly coats. Told them there would be about 5-6 on "real" floor. Stamp of approval. It's a go. 8)

oddly enough, I had the same floor must be soft requirement. :thumbsup:

Will be watching your progress.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:21 am

yay another foamie in the works! :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby sixtoedkatz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:12 am

LOL! Bonnie. Very cool. Mel, it's like that commercial when the guy has the middle school girls follow him so he won't eat :lol: That's my life right now.
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Postby sixtoedkatz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:17 pm

Working on the galley door. Dawned on my that I don't have a key for the lock that is on the door. Homedepot had replacement for $10 so went with that. Cheaper (and less time consuming) then trying to re-key the lock that was on there. I am keeping the bars but as you can see they have to be cut back to new door size. Got an attachment for that for the dremel. Feels like all I did was spend $$ today. :thumbdown: 95882958819588095879
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Postby sixtoedkatz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:50 pm

95963 Yep. That about sums it up. Of course it weighs more than beer. :thinking:
Sixtoedkatz
GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!
sixtoedkatz
Teardrop Builder

Postby atahoekid » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:53 am

From my experience, I can tell you that there will be more of those days where you spend lots of $$ Actually it's not spending money, it's hemorrhaging...
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies