Fiberglass/ canvas better durability

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Fiberglass/ canvas better durability

Postby bmiracle2 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:31 am

So I got a question, what is the more durable finish canvas or fiberglass. I am thinking in the future to use my fomie to live in for a while ( saving up some bucks for an adventure) and was wondering what is finish is better to use for a foamie that would be unsheltered for a a few months or longer. I was thinking fiberglass, but does uv affect it at all, or would painting over the fiberglass protect it from uv damage?

Also when using it like this what might you recommend doing for the roof? Looking to make more of a standie than a TD
bmiracle2
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Fiberglass/ canvas better durability

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:30 am

B2, my canvas covered Foamie has survived quite well , outside in the weather for a year now ... Although fiberglass produces a harder, stronger surface skin , it is considerably more expensive, more messy , and waay more difficult to repair , should you encounter a frozen Turkey .. :o My considerations were primarily for low maintenance down the road ... That and fiberglass seems to require constant waxing to maintain a smooth surface or it dulls quickly ... When my Canvas gets dull , I’ll just apply another quick coat of paint ... and maybe a new color scheme to avoid boredom ... Decor !!! Repaints are Tough to do on F/glas ... :roll: All what YOU want !!! I’m Happy with mine !!! :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:39 am

We're using fiberglass. It will waterproof your teardrop completely if done properly, will add a lot of strength, especially puncture resistance, and we have never had any problem maintaining a painted surface on fiberglass. My experience (25+ years worth) is that it is as easy to paint as any other surface once properly prepared and primed. We always put a fresh coat of paint on our boat hulls every season or two and it's an easy 1 day job. Clean it (we just scrub good with Comet cleanser and a greenie-weenie, which also gives it a light "sanding"), fill any abrasions you've picked up along the way, sand the areas you filled and another light allover sanding, wash it down to remove sanding dust, one fresh coat of paint and you're back on your way with a tear that will look as new as the day you first launched it.

If you're keeping it painted, wax is not necessary. You would only wax over gelcoat but I don't think any of us are going to use gelcoat in our teardrop build.

I'm not disputing the strength or durability of canvas at all, for many it is the absolute right choice, and fiberglass is definitely more expensive and the initial application is a bit more tricky. You'd definitely want to do your research, familiarize yourself with the process, experiment a little, and if possible even watch someone work with it if you have that option available to you, because it's too expensive to waste and big fiberglass mistakes are not easy to correct. (You CAN correct them. It's just a lot of hard work to do so.)

But I wouldn't want to you to decide not to use fiberglass just because you think it will be difficult to maintain. Our experience has always been just the opposite. And once you do fiberglass, unless it meets with catastrophic damage, it is done. You won't have to do it over and over again.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:37 am

Bmi, there ya’ go ... both sides of the Coin ... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:15 am

After tossing the alternatives around for a while, I decided to use fiberglass. The job is about 60% done. This is my first ever attempt at fiberglassing. It takes a while to figure out your favorite way to apply the epoxy and it takes a while to figure out how to keep things as neat as possible.

While the completed job will have some flaws, I'm pretty happy with it. I expect it to last a good long time. I expect that a canvas exterior will last a good long time too
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:06 am

i have to say that i have not tarped my foamie this year. so its been out in the weather with temps in the 90-100+ this year, and we have had lots of rain this year. so far, so good. mine is canvas btw. i think whatever way you go will be fine for you.

now i will admit, the boredom of my paint color is getting to me. i am thinking about a new paint job. but that might still have to wait a while. i really need to start thinking about working my second one.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Return to Foamies