Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: #1

Postby ghcoe » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:55 pm

GPW wrote:Nice gutter ... very Cool idea !!! :thumbsup: 8)

Mary C wrote:I'm watching you!!! looking great!! I like the kerf idea. keep it up your will be unique!!!
Mary C. :)

Thanks guys.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:14 pm

So now that the kitchen is nearly ready to put together I figured that I had better start thinking about the hatch. I was not looking forward to trying to figure out how to do the tight radius on the hatch with foam. I tried a coupe ideas that I had and none seemed to work for me. It finally came down to my last ditch idea that I really did not want to go with because I thought it would be too time consuming.

So the idea came down to cutting small ribs of foam that I will be gluing together. Kind of like kerfing except it is cut all the way through. I made a hot wire jig, yes another one. :roll: The jig will make two ribs at a time so it goes pretty quick. I then set them next to each other and attached them together with some packing tape. The idea is that when I am ready to attach the ribs to the hatch that the packing tape will hold them together while the glue sets up. I will be using Great Stuff (GS) down each kerf in hopes of sealing up and gluing the pieces all together to make a nice tight 6" radius roof line. A bit of sanding and it should look great. 8) :worship: Yes, I am being optimistic.

DSCF1988 small.jpg
Roof for small radius
DSCF1988 small.jpg (82.94 KiB) Viewed 1677 times

So before I can glue the radius on I need to make the hatch sides stable. One panel is now glued and clamped. :thumbsup:

DSCF1989 small.jpg
Hatch
DSCF1989 small.jpg (105.16 KiB) Viewed 1677 times

DSCF1990 small.jpg
Hatch 2
DSCF1990 small.jpg (95.98 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:09 am

that is coming along nicely. I think the gutter idea is a great one (try that with wood. LOL) I'll keep fingers crossed for your hatch. It sounds like it should work, but best laid plans...
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:32 am

George, you could glue something thin like old bedsheets to the tops of the hatch pieces , forming a living hinge on top , and that adds an extra bit of reinforcement under the skin too ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RandyG » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:21 am

I just tuned in and went through the whole build, looks great! Have you thought about maybe making a template for you hatch from some plywood? Or go the other way and make a mold to keep your radias constant.
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:52 pm

GPW wrote:George, you could glue something thin like old bedsheets to the tops of the hatch pieces , forming a living hinge on top , and that adds an extra bit of reinforcement under the skin too ... :thinking:

RandyG wrote:make a mold to keep your radias constant

These both sound like a good ideas to me. I would not trust the packing tape to hold under the pressure of the GG. That stuff has pretty strong hydraulic pressure and it would be heck to correct if things start moving around during the glue up.

I have also found that Reynolds brand plastic coated freezer paper (butchers paper, available at Wallie World in the wax paper and aluminum foil aisle) makes a reasonably good release ply for the GG; keeps it from sticking to things that you don't want it to, so that might be a good thing to use between your glue up and any molds, strongbacks, or whatever.

She's looking good! Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. :thumbsup:
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Audnorge » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:51 am

George, your build is far better to one I've been working out in my head for some time, lightweight, strong and innovative use of foam!

Your use of the hot wire cutters and especially your rear hatch design are far beyond anything I knew about....very inspirational and educational. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Please, would you consider doing a short tutorial on just your knowledge of the hot wire cutter: how you build them, the parts needed, how to set up different shapes and jigs? This is the best thing I've seen on the foamie build pages and I need to know about hot wires before I can build the one I see in my head.

Aud
Audnorge
Audnorge
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ghcoe » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:40 am

Audnorge wrote:Please, would you consider doing a short tutorial on just your knowledge of the hot wire cutter: how you build them, the parts needed, how to set up different shapes and jigs? This is the best thing I've seen on the foamie build pages and I need to know about hot wires before I can build the one I see in my head.
Aud

I did do one a few weeks back. I use a car battery charger to power my hot wires, but some do have problems with different chargers. There is some info on the web on how to build your own hot wire power supply. I like the hot wire over other cutting tools because there is no foam dust. :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323

P.S. Thanks for the kind words on my build.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swampjeep » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:32 am

ghcoe wrote:So now that the kitchen is nearly ready to put together I figured that I had better start thinking about the hatch. I was not looking forward to trying to figure out how to do the tight radius on the hatch with foam. I tried a coupe ideas that I had and none seemed to work for me. It finally came down to my last ditch idea that I really did not want to go with because I thought it would be too time consuming.

So the idea came down to cutting small ribs of foam that I will be gluing together. Kind of like kerfing except it is cut all the way through. I made a hot wire jig, yes another one. :roll: The jig will make two ribs at a time so it goes pretty quick. I then set them next to each other and attached them together with some packing tape. The idea is that when I am ready to attach the ribs to the hatch that the packing tape will hold them together while the glue sets up. I will be using Great Stuff (GS) down each kerf in hopes of sealing up and gluing the pieces all together to make a nice tight 6" radius roof line. A bit of sanding and it should look great. 8) :worship: Yes, I am being optimistic.

DSCF1988 small.jpg

So before I can glue the radius on I need to make the hatch sides stable. One panel is now glued and clamped. :thumbsup:

DSCF1989 small.jpg

DSCF1990 small.jpg

I have not had a chance to try any hot wire cutting myself yet, but I'm curious of this, if you were able to do these rectangle cuts, why could you not cut thin triangles kerfs, leaving maybe 1/4" of foam?
would this be easier the trying to glue a bunch of ribs together?

swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby ghcoe » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:19 pm

swampjeep wrote:I have not had a chance to try any hot wire cutting myself yet, but I'm curious of this, if you were able to do these rectangle cuts, why could you not cut thin triangles kerfs, leaving maybe 1/4" of foam?
would this be easier the trying to glue a bunch of ribs together?

I did try and play around with that Idea. The problem was that the foam would fail at the kerf lines. I even went quite close to the surface. I think with this type of foam that it will tolerate bends to a certain point, but once it reaches that point it fails. Heat would probably had helped some, I did not want to mess with that though. These ribs did not take long to make and I am pretty sure it will work out the way I want. Whether it is the fastest or best way I don't know. If I build more I will work on other options.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:48 pm

If you did cut the V grooves to 1/4” (a bit thin) it would soften correctly with heat ...a possibility .. :thinking: We bend the heck out of 1/4” foam all the time , with heat ... ;)

George ... Ever think of using The Gripper instead of Gorilla glue .... less messy and it’s already primed... sorta'
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:51 pm

GPW wrote:George ... Ever think of using The Gripper instead of Gorilla glue .... less messy and it’s already primed... sorta'

I have been using Great Stuff (GS). I like the sanding attributes of it better than GG, and the foaming is more controllable and easier to cut too. I will be using Gripper to glue my galley panels together. I am trying to used different ideas for the build to see what works better and what I like to work with. So far I do like Great Stuff over Gorilla Glue for general gluing.
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:13 pm

So I have been working on the hatch some today. I got my ribs set up and ready for gluing. I used packing tape for the media to keep the ribs all together for the glue up. I know some here do not like packing tape, but I have found it to work quite well when used properly. It works good as a fastener to hold parts together as they set up. Easy to remove once setup is complete. Also, I can contain "foam out" of the glue and it also works great as a releasing media.

DSCF1991 small 1.jpg
Hatch radius ready for glue up
DSCF1991 small 1.jpg (172.84 KiB) Viewed 1477 times

So I set up the ribs the way I wanted and then attached them with packing tape. then folded the radius back over onto the hatch. Now it is time to apply the glue. I used my inner hatch walls to help with the alignment.

DSCF1992 small.jpg
Glue applied
DSCF1992 small.jpg (181.39 KiB) Viewed 1477 times

Once the glue was applied in the valleys it was time to flip the radius back over and clamp into place. I am just gluing up the radius and did not want to actually glue it to the hatch yet. I applied packing tape as a releasing agent to the radius on the hatch and inner galley walls. I also used packing tape to clamp the radius to the hatch and inner galley walls

DSCF1993 small.jpg
Radius
DSCF1993 small.jpg (184.81 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:31 pm

A shot of the inside of the radius. The Great Stuff is filling in the voids pretty well.

DSCF1996 small.jpg
Great stuff
DSCF1996 small.jpg (220.23 KiB) Viewed 1476 times

No glue "foam out" on the top. Should be easy to sand the radius. :thumbsup:

DSCF1997 small.jpg
DSCF1997 small.jpg (222.21 KiB) Viewed 1476 times

I purchased some Gripper yesterday so looking to glue up some galley parts soon too.... 8)
George.

ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies