Winterizing your Foamie' ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Winterizing your Foamie' ...

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:54 am

Guessing for a lot of folks , camping season is over... Time to get the Foamie’ ready for a little winter storage ... Since Foamie’s are made to live Outside , there’s really no reason to stuff it in the garage ... an open shed or “carport” would be nice to keep it clean , but that’s not really necessary depending where you live .
I think we’ll get some tire covers for the winter ... :thinking:

What are you planning to do ?
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Winterizing your Foamie' ...

Postby Mary C » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:26 am

I plan to keep mine in the barn. I will get it out every once in a while to use to haul stuff, and to blow the dust off and to work on the inside. it is not finished on the inside and I have all sorts of little things to make and then there is the ceiling and walls to finish. I have lots to do here at the house and going camping is my way to relax and rest and refresh, so I probably will do some winter camping :snowstorm: this year too. :R

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:47 am

Putting the Road Foamie away for winter is not a lot different than putting it away after a trip. I strip the bed linens and wash them, give the galley a good cleaning, flush and sanitize the tap system and drain and treat the water and holding tank. I then back it into the garage, plug in the battery charger and wait till next time. :( :( It's just a much longer wait :cry: :cry:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:50 am

Wish I had a Barn ... I used to , but didn’t have anything to put in it at the time ... typical !!! You’re all set Mary !!! :thumbsup: 8) :D

Mel, seems you have it all sorted too!!! :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:09 am

Mine just sits out there. No cover except for a torn tarp. Been that way for 3 yrs (?) now.
I do want to get my memory foam out of there though and bring that in the house.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:28 am

Eagle , my little #1 foamie’ is still sitting out there too ... Pics from today ... the only thing that’s “glaring" is the window hinge ... :frightened: Rusted !!! ... I have a new Aluminum hinge and SS screws all ready for it ... Quart of Red Rustoleum awaits that PINK trailer frame ... :R
Eternabond tape on top around the vent was peeling , or so I thought , but turns out only the top vinyl protectant tape is peeling , the rest has become part of everything else ...easy to mend ...
Just a little cleaning , caulking (Window) and a re-paint (schmaybe’ another color s ) , will make it like new 8) ... Few hours and we’re done.... not bad for 3 years outside eh !!! :thinking:
Ps. the inside remains the same , dry and Empty (no critters have gotten inside ) ... All good there... :thumbsup:

The FS , in the background, is just starting it’s aging “test” living Outside ... I expect no differences .. save the FS trailer won’t surprisingly turn PINK ... Hello Kitty !!!  :R
Attachments
DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0003.JPG (197.73 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG (216.81 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
DSCF0005.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG (178.26 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:21 pm

Where did you find the aluminum hinge???

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mgb4tim » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:24 pm

GPW wrote:I have a new Aluminum hinge and SS screws all ready for it ...

isn't mixing aluminum and stainless a bad idea (galvanic corrosion)?
mgb4tim
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:42 pm

mgb4tim wrote:isn't mixing aluminum and stainless a bad idea (galvanic corrosion)?

No, unless it is submerged in salt water, then schmaybe.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:19 pm

Got the hinge at the TD parts store online ..

Like KC said , I read where there was the least interaction with Al and SS... Anything has to be better than that cheap hdwe. store hinge and the regular screws I have now ... :oops:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Lonewolf42301 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:14 am

KCStudly wrote:
mgb4tim wrote:isn't mixing aluminum and stainless a bad idea (galvanic corrosion)?

No, unless it is submerged in salt water, then schmaybe.

Read on:

Q. I have an application were I have a 1/4" thick plate of aluminum in direct contact with a sheet of 304 Stainless Steel. Also I want to use an all aluminum pop rivet (both body and mandrel made out of aluminum)which will fasten the 1/4" thick plate with stainless steel. This application will see sea coast environment (but not an underwater application). Is there a chance of galvanic corrosion especially the pop rivets weakening out? I am looking for a quick solution. I looked for similar stainless steel pop rivets, but they are not available in the time frame I need to work with.
Saibal S deleted
Operations Manager - Douglasville, Georgia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
++++
A. Dead certain for corrosion. You may be able to prevent it by putting an insulator between the two. Try neoprene or something similar. It must not adsorb any moisture however.

Trevor Crichton
R&D practical scientist
The Pheasantries - Chesham, U.K.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
++++
A. Epoxy paint the faying surfaces and pull the rivets wet (soaked, including inside) with chromate primer(gives up to corrosion before metal will). Not ideal but good enough for government work.
James H
- Jacksonville, Florida

++++
A. Aluminum in a seacoast environment is not a long term proposition. However, you may want to consider using stainless steel fasteners. The rate of galvanic corrosion is related directly to the ratio of cathode area (stainless) to anode area (aluminum). In other words a relatively small anode area like an aluminum pop rivet will be attacked much faster than a large one like the 1/4" plate. Good luck.
Fred D
high performance architectural metals - Cranberry Twp., Pennsylvania

And there you go...... :SG

:pipe:
Lonewolf42301
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mary C » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:17 pm

hua?? never mind sometimes it is not worth the time trying to understand so...........just what kind of screws do you use with an aluminum hinge ?,,,,,, Brass.......... Oh well I will just paint it again.

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Mary , we’re thinking the SS screws will last as long as I do which is all I‘m concerned about ... not going in salt water ,we’re not that close to the ocean ... :thinking:

... and it’s what I have .... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Lonewolf42301 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:53 am

GPW wrote:Mary , we’re thinking the SS screws will last as long as I do which is all I‘m concerned about ... not going in salt water ,we’re not that close to the ocean ... :thinking:

... and it’s what I have .... ;)

I dab of zinc chromate primer under screw heads will help, it gives up to oxidation before metal will. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=64232&engine=msn&keyword=zinc_chromate is one cheap source in a spray bomb ;)
Lonewolf42301
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:58 am

LW, Cool tip !!! Thanks !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies