A new build?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

A new build?

Postby atahoekid » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:57 am

My wife has been going to physical therapy over the last couple of months to rehab from her knee replacement surgery. Her therapist and husband bought a house around the corner from us and have been by our house and saw the Road Foamie in the driveway. She mentioned to the wife the other day that they had looked at Ipod's and were shocked at the price. The Ipods run over $10k and they were hoping to spend 6k. For 6k, I can build them a nice Foamie to their specs and make a bit of profit. I have to see her (she's my physical therapist, too) on Monday. I think i will be making her a proposal as she's working on my shoulder.. :D :thinking: :thinking: :D 8) 8)
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Re: A new build?

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Having been in similar situations before , DO NOT let them “trade" Foamie’ for their services ... Cash Only ... No Trades... if you do , you’ll Lose ... trust me !!! ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:35 pm

insurance covers therapy so no trades. Deposit with installment payments at intervals. I guess there's no harm in looking for trailer frames over the weekend. If they say yes, i'm gonna need a place to put my Road Foamie. Can''t keep it outdoors. No room and too much snow during the winter. :thinking: :thinking:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:07 am

You get a lot of snow there? I see you’re close to the lake ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:43 pm

Average annual snow fall at Lake level (6300' elev) is about 150", 8900' elevation average is 350". I live at 7300' There have been winters when the snow has been as high as the main floor on our house which is actually the 2nd floor. It does pack down and melt off even during the middle of winter so at least we don't get buried alive... :shock: :? :lol: 8). The neighbor kids (well not a kid anymore, he's 6'3" and 240#) have been known to toboggan off the roof of their house. Looks fun but I have this thing about fractures :chicken: :chicken: . If we have a long cold winter, having a build will keep me sane.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:06 am

7300’ :o I had no idea ! But that comes from a person living at + 12’ ... :roll: I see now why you can’t leave the Foamie ‘ outside .... couldn’t find it ... :shock:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:35 pm

The winter before I started building, I had the frame but left it along the sunny side of the house. It was a heavy winter. It started snowing in October and kept coming... :( :( I didn't see the frame until late May and couldn't pull it out until mid-June. I'm more worried about it getting crushed... :o :shock: :cry: On the average a cubic foot of snow weighs 15 lbs. Our snow is pretty heavy. It's known as Sierra cement. I've seen the snow load crush the roof and hood of a car that was left out all winter. Car was totaled... :shock: :? :o The Road Foamie stays indoors for storage for now
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:33 am

Ooooo!!! Now that's scary .. :frightened: Guess you have to plan well for that ... :o

Funny , here when it snows (very rarely) it’s more an effect that actual snow ... Once the “flurries" start , everyone wildly runs around yelling “it’s Snowing !!!” ... and then it’s gone ... Once we had snow on the ground for 3 days (early 90’s) :shock: .. The whole town shut down ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Madmike8 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:11 am

Don't forget that everyone runs to the store and buys all the milk and bread... an hour later all the snow has melted... sigh...
It's not about the Destination, It's all about the Ride!
Madmike8
Teardrop Advisor

Postby atahoekid » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:30 pm

Funny thing about living in snow. During the first few snow falls of each winter, you can tell who hasn't lived in snow before. They drive way too fast, (yes, even a four wheel drive won't keep you on the road if you drive too fast), they're buying out the grocery store and they're worried about getting snowed in. (I know cuz I was that newb at one time). After living here for 15 years, you do your winter prep during the fall and life goes on. It's amusing to watch :D ;) :)
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:32 pm

Guess it keeps the Beer cold eh ??? :thumbsup: :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ebutler » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:43 pm

I have had all the snow that i want for the rest of my life. I spent Four winters in Northern Maine
between Caribou and Limestone. Loring AFB. then I moved FEMA trailers from Minnesota To Baton Rouge
LA for two years. We get snow here sometimes but as GPW says it is gone quick. I feel for you with your storage problems.
Elmo
Build Stuff Or Perish
ebutler
Teardrop Builder

Postby atahoekid » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:39 pm

GPW wrote:Guess it keeps the Beer cold eh ??? :thumbsup: :beer:

Yup, in the winter, there's never a lack of refrigeration. If you have to, you can always set it outdoors on the deck. 8) 8)
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:02 am

For a few years that was my husbands motivation when shoveling the driveway. He would place a beer every so many feet in the snow bank and when he shoveled to it he would drink it. He never minded shoveling back then.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:29 am

We tried shoveling snow ... once .... Although it looks nice and fluffy , it’s Not .... It’s HEAVY :o ... Hard work !!!!.... Forget that !!! :roll: I think we’ll have a :beer: for NOT having to do this !!! :D

Mel , looks like garage building is the only option ... But that can be really nice if you have the room ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies