Foamie Palomini?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Foamie Palomini?

Postby kudzu » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:41 am

So I'm still gathering together things for my build. I really love the look of the teardrops but they are just not appropriate for our needs. Still I think I'd be better off in the long run with something more aerodynamic than the standard cargo trailer shape. There is still no decision on design since I've not seen anything that looks like a good compromise between roomy & aerodynamic & relatively easy to build & not too hard on the eyes.

At the camping & RV show yesterday I got to see TAB's & Little Guys that I really liked but there's no fitting two humans, three dogs inside those, not to mention transporting two kayaks, a bike & a trike. However, I did see a Palomini that is somewhat appealing. The rep talking to me said these were built on a tent trailer frame. I didn't realize this one existed. Was nice to see a main RV manufacturer catching on a bit. The smaller models 131-133 have a profile that curves on both ends and have a lower roofline with a dropped floor area in the middle for headroom. That's a good compromise between the lower roofline I'd desire & the extra headroom BF would prefer. My trailer wouldn't be as long & may not end up quite as tall since we aren't tall.

The only concern I have is making it rear entrance or at least a rear hatch or doorway big enough to load the gear through, min 42"w X 54"h. So do y'all think this shape would be possible for a first time builder without me getting so frustrated I abandon the project?

http://www.palominorv.com/ProductInfo.a ... l=palomini
kudzu
Donating Member

Re: Foamie Palomini?

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:52 am

Don't be intimidated by the shape. So long as you don't try to pull off any super tight radii (...and even those are possible) you can build anything you set your mind to!

IMO, what you show here is not any more or less difficult than a nice Scotty, like one of Hodder's recent profiles.

Go for it! :thumbsup:
Last edited by KCStudly on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:34 pm

Those curves should be pretty easy to pull off. The Road Foamie has a tighter curve in the nose. I used two sheets of 1" foam and kerf cut each and glued them kerf side to kerf side. Worked fine. It's messy work and it takes a while, but it can be done.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby kudzu » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:18 am

Last night I had myself convinced I should try a pop top. I really want something with a low roofline but understand why BF would prefer something taller. This morning I'm looking at last night's drawing & believe I'd still be better with a foamie Palomini. If I think kerfing will be a challenge, just imaging me trying to make a foamie with a folding roof. There needs to be a compromise somewhere. It's just supposed to be a hard sided tent & tiny toy hauler. (for our little & tiny toys)
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby grantstew8 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:35 am

One of the countless designs I've been toying for MkII with is a foam pop top. This one is boat like in design and the windows are either flexible plastic or removable when the roof is lowered. The door could have a removable panel.
The lid has curved frames that slot into the lower body are either geared or simply lifted and locked into position. It's going to be pretty light. The side forces are low when stationary and when the lid is down during transportation it's much stronger. The "skin" for the lid is foam planking, rather than wood planking (like some kayaks) and is resin or glue coated.
The lower section is easy as the curves are in one direction only and could be aluminium skinned or foam planked.

As it uses most of the tow triangle, the bed area is not required to be folded up and can be left in position; my requirement. If you wanted a dining area it would work but the bed would need to be remade. The kitchen is at the back in a u shape.

My video moves too many components but you'll get the gist.
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby kudzu » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:37 am

Grant, I missed your reply. At one point I'd actually drawn a design of similar shape though not a pop top, something almost standy height for me, meaning almost 5' inside. Would love to see you build that design, complete with your videos. (I'm one of the silent watchers of your videos.) I've gone back to the pop top idea again & mostly rejected it again. This planning stuff reminds me of choosing a university & degree. Too many options. Can't decide. :? Whatever I choose, later I'll wish I'd done something different. Now I see how people end up doing multiple builds. :lol:
kudzu
Donating Member

Return to Foamies