Some pics of Florida setups and what worked and didn't

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Some pics of Florida setups and what worked and didn't

Postby kayakrguy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:06 pm

Hi folks,

I assume you don't want to hear me drone on about our trip to Fl. If you have questions about it, feel free to ask, I will be glad to answer, if I can.

These pics are to give you an idea of the rig, how we used it, what worked, what didin't and why. I will be succinct. If you have questions ask. If you can add something do! Without any ado, here we go:

This is our setup at Wekiva SP The teardrop is a dream to set up.
We learned to back it up as we went. Basically, roll it into position, get the supports out of the trunk, set them up and unhitch! We have rear stabilizers but didn't need them if a quick set up because of rain etc was needed.

This is our setup at Myakka River SP I was VERY glad I did a 5 x 10 and extending the 8' red trailer to 10' was the smartest thing I could have done, even if it did create some build issues re plywood etc. You will notice that we are smaller than even the smallest RV's. 'Nuff said.

This is the hatch open at night at Myakka River. Because we did not have the cabinets finished, you can see that we used plastic bins for storage in the galley. We used smaller ones at the foot of the bed in the cabin, in front of the bulkhead. We did have an 11" shelf in the cabin, mounted on the bulkhead--it will hold the AC and the two interior cabinets later. The smaller bins in the cabin held our shoes.

Daytime hatch view at Wekiva--same deal. In the comfort area we were glad to have the Miracle vent or whatever--great on warm humid nights--we had one or two where we might have used AC if we had brought it. I was sorry I did not insulate the walls. On cool evenings (eg below dew point temps) we got condensation on the side walls. Wiped it up first thing after breakfast, turned on the vent and voila! all gone.

Quilt Nancy is making for the Snuggle Inn.. We were never cold. Two people generate a lot of heat <g> Temps at night were occassionally in the 30's sometimes 40's and usually 50's-60's. Fl camping in Feb can be like fall camping in the North if you get a cold front dropping down from Canada...which we did--twice.

Curtains Nancy made for the Inn...The doors and windows never leaked. ditto roof, ditto vent.

The Interior of the Pa Ha Que Tent Room (10x10) we loved it—dry and warm when windy/rainy and at night with a coleman lantern going it was warm as toast, even when it was in the 30’s. We also cooked inside there when we encountered rain, as we did at Myakka River and the Keys. Having the flaps on all 4 sides was a plus...they keep out rain and wind and cold, but can be rolled up when it is hot....The screen room sets up in about 10 minutes. If you want a screen room we recommend you give these a look. They make them up to 12' square, I think.

The comfort of home...in the keys...we often read/played games in the screen room at night.

Can that be...??? Frost??? You bet!!! at Wekiva State Park, 3rd week in February;

We had some comforts in the trailer....shelves for each of us and the Chinese made swedish reading lamps (leds)

Overall, for those contemplating doing an outing before finishing everything in the interior, I can say it can be done. We found the plastic bins very useful. We had two gym bags with socks and underwear in the cabin and one suitcase in the trunk with the outer clothes in it. If you are weathertight, you will be fine, I think.

We liked having the electrical options. I had not installed our Best converter/charger, so I took my Sears charger (10/2 amp) a work cord and a GFCI plug in outlet with 3 outlest and a worklight on a 12 ' cord.
Jerry rigged, yes, but it worked. For gneral lighting in the galley and the two general lights in the cabin we had 4 twelve vold auto ceiling lights, tow each in cabin and galley--lots of light.

For the Altima, towing into a strong headwind was an effort and it would keep switching in and out of overdrive, so on our long haul from Anastasia to Myakka in a 30+ mph headwind, I turned the overdrive off.

I will stop there. If you have questions about facilites, weather, things to do...just ask--or any other questions, of course.

Ciao,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:48 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: Great Pictures Jim. Just the set up we all need and the time to enjoy it. 8)

I started a Quilting Bee thread I hope Nancy will feel free to put her beautiful quilt in it. Wonderful use of color and pattern. :thumbsup:

quilts herehttp://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=13032
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby TLC » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:03 pm

Jim:
Nice pics...that's what it's all about!! Looks like you had an awesome trip. I too like to pick a site right between two of the biggest rigs in the campground. I like to hang with the big boys.
Happy traveling
Tom :applause:
I can drink all day.....provided I don't start till 11PM
TLC
The 300 Club

Postby BrwBier » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:16 pm

Have you seen the snow and cold some of us are putting up with right now. You just go ahead and drone away, we live vicariously through others trips. The pictures are great.
Brwbier :thumbsup: :applause:
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:33 pm

...thanks for the pics and the report...I sure do like those PahaQue rooms....just can't afford one at present......... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby dakotamouse » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:07 pm

Thanks for the pics and tips. The husband and I are making a Florida run the last week in March through the 1st week in April.

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Postby john » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:40 pm

I know the OP's intent was more on function than on "I went here." pics, but I like the travel photos and thought I would contibute some of my own to them. Function can be devined from them anyway. Also some people planing a trip may like to see pics of the campgrounds that they will visit.

Anastsia camp....

Wekiva arrival....

Manatee Spings camp with visiters....

Myakka River camp....

Bahia Honda camp (keys)....

Curry Hammock sunrise (Keys)....

Curry Hammock sunset (Keys)....

Sannibel Island Camp and a friendly neighbor....
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby dakotamouse » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:14 pm

I am loving this thread! Sanibel Island is one of my must see destinations! I am so jazzed about hitting the road! Despite the fact that gas has risin by 50 cents a gallon in the last 3 weeks! The little car and the little camper should do great! :vroom:

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Return to General Discussion