harbor freight trailer ( lower axle)

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

harbor freight trailer ( lower axle)

Postby seahorse » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:52 am

Did anybody lower the axle on the 1175 lb trailer. ( put axle on top of springs) with good results????????
seahorse
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:36 pm

Most people DO it that way.

I didn't, because I'm a troublemaker.

Seriously, it really lowers the profile, but I didn't care about that, especially since I'm towing with a big truck.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby toypusher » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:30 pm

If you put the axle on top of the spring, then you will probably have to cut a section out of the spring bracket for the axle to have enough travel without hitting.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby seahorse » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:43 pm

Thanks guys.........I was worried about U bolt, and plate strength.
seahorse
Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:52 pm

seahorse wrote:Thanks guys.........I was worried about U bolt, and plate strength.

Should not be a problem, lots of folks have done it before you!!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby seahorse » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:07 pm

toypusher wrote:
seahorse wrote:Thanks guys.........I was worried about U bolt, and plate strength.

Should not be a problem, lots of folks have done it before you!!
Thats what I wanted to hear.......thank you!
seahorse
Donating Member

Lowering a Harbor Freight Trailer

Postby MrBuzz » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:06 pm

I have that exact same trailer. I notched the sub-frame assy and then moved the axle to the top of the spring. Another hint I got from a fellow builder...you have to turn the center bolt upside down so that the axle and the brackets line up correctly. To do that I had to also modify the leaf spring by clamping the spring in a vise, then unbolting the center bolt and turn it upside down.
Other builders also suggest moving the axle back 6-7 inches so the trailer is more stable when towing. I did that also, ended up drilling some new holes for that too...but it turned out real nice.
Check out my album for photos...
Generic Benroy - built 2007, 4X8, 1175 HF trailer, Structoglass roof and headliner, 12v and 110v electrics with Schumacher charger.
MrBuzz
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:01 am

Notching works, but be careful you have enough spring clearance. Jack up the FRAME on one side enough to lift the wheel off the ground and see how much you frame/axle distance you have unloaded.. then lower the trailer and see what is left with all the weight on it.

On my 1800# trailer, I did the same thing. Wound up with 2 inches of frame/axle clearance.. worked fine for 10,000 miles till I went through a construction zone, hit a huge pothole, the trailer bottomed out on the axle very hard, and I suffered catastrophic tongue failure (trailer left car)...

The ubolts and plate were never a problem.... I have since relocated the axle under the spring back to it's original position.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby seahorse » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:42 am

Thanks for your comments.....all are appreciated. Steer clear of all potholes, they leave a mark!
seahorse
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:05 pm

and your point is?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Nic » Thu May 03, 2007 12:33 am

Arne wrote:Notching works, but be careful you have enough spring clearance. Jack up the FRAME on one side enough to lift the wheel off the ground and see how much you frame/axle distance you have unloaded.. then lower the trailer and see what is left with all the weight on it.

On my 1800# trailer, I did the same thing. Wound up with 2 inches of frame/axle clearance.. worked fine for 10,000 miles till I went through a construction zone, hit a huge pothole, the trailer bottomed out on the axle very hard, and I suffered catastrophic tongue failure (trailer left car)...

The ubolts and plate were never a problem.... I have since relocated the axle under the spring back to it's original position.

This sounds like a real good idea for mine. Now that i have larger wheels on the trailer it sets up too high for my beetle. And turning the drop hitch over is not doing it either.
Im thinking notching the frame sounds kinda scary. How much do you notch it? And if i didnt want to notch it do you think i would be fine as long as i dont hit any holes? Anyone have a pic of their notch? :thinking:
Im not lazy. I just hang out a lot.
Nic
500 Club

Postby angib » Thu May 03, 2007 12:17 pm

Nic wrote:Im thinking notching the frame sounds kinda scary.

The notch is in the piece of angle that holds the spring, not in the main frame itself.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby SkipperSue » Thu May 03, 2007 12:59 pm

I had lowered my axle, cut the notch an all that. But I decided to build a 5x8 on a 4x8 trailer, and I didn't like the fact that the fenderwells would stick up too high in the cabin. So I switched the axle back the way it was, all but moving the wheels back.

Here is a pretty good link of how I lowered mine before I raised it. :roll:

Hmmm, that kinda sounded like a politition from a few years ago. :R

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=11635
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Postby Arne » Thu May 03, 2007 4:47 pm

I notched my frame, and did it all as described. It worked great till I went through a construction area, hit a huge pot hole and ripped the tongue off the frame. It lasted for 10,000 miles before it broke... I think what happened was my 2" of clearance between the axle top and the frame got used up, and it bottomed so hard, it broke the tongue.

Now, I'm not saying not to do it, but be aware of the potential consequences of your changes.... shocks might have helped, I don't know.. but, I put the axle back into its stock position and there it will remain. Trailer weighs 1,220# with a tongue weight of 95#.

www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques