Silver Beatle - She's now with an old friend!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:36 am

mikeschn wrote:
aggie79 wrote: Time for a quick break and re-hydration.

Looking good Tom, but I don't see the re-hydration container in the area!!! :lol:

Mike...

P.S. Are you near Plano?

Mike,

My choice of adult beverage that day (and most days) was Shiner Bock. I used to work in Plano, but live near Fort Worth about 40 miles west of Plano.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:49 am

planovet

I'm a vet during the week and a cop during the weekend. I don't get paid but it's so much fun I don't care.

:lol: :thumbsup:

I saw the pic of your weekend ride in another thread... that's great!

:applause:

aggie79

Cool front hit. It was only 98 degrees today.

:shock: :lol:

aggie79

My walls are up. :worship:

It finally looks like a teardrop!

Aw, man, that's fantastic!

I will follow in your footsteps soon enough...

Congrats! :P

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby bbarry » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:49 pm

Lookin' good! It'll be campable before you know it!

Brad
Brad

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Kampster build thread
bbarry
The 300 Club

Postby 2bits » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:01 am

aggie79 wrote:Image

Envious of your rear hitch receiver!!!! I will have one some day although haven't decided if it will be for a spare tire/table or bicycle rack.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while! We need a "Favorite Threads" feature, so I can mark it different then just a random reply!

You've got three mo 'til October! Time to kick in! Looks GREAT though! What's next? :applause:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:37 am

bbarry wrote:Lookin' good! It'll be campable before you know it!
Brad

Thanks Brad. I hope so!

2bits wrote:Envious of your rear hitch receiver!!!! I will have one some day although haven't decided if it will be for a spare tire/table or bicycle rack.

Thomas, I debated whether or not to have the receiver. We do haul bikes on our CR-V so I decided to add it to the frame and am glad I did. Now I wish that I put some on the sides of the frame too.

2bits wrote:You've got three mo 'til October! Time to kick in! Looks GREAT though! What's next? :applause:

Thanks Thomas. When exactly is LCG IV - this October or next? I am trying to get the teardrop roadworthy first - need to buy wheels and tires when the budget allows - then get it campable. By campable, I mean a completed exterior shell only. Next steps are to finish the roof framing over the sleeping area, then roll the teardrop over on its roof to finish weatherproofing the street side of the floor and sidewalls where they extend past the floor, then frame the galley, then wiring, then... :? :worship: :cry:

I don't have real confidence about being done by October anymore. On top of the lack of my progress, my personal calender for October is filling up. Two weekends before LCG IV, my youngest stepson is having his graduation for Marine Corps boot camp. On the weekend before LCG IV, I have my 30-year college class reunion. (Technically it has been 30 years since I was supposed to graduate. I was on the "extended" plan.) Linda and I will be there, but it will probably be in a tent.

:thumbsup: Gig'em, Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby WayneFromMo » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:47 am

Very nice.

I like the flooring on the wall, nice touch.

I planned on using some of the same ideas for my build.

That tells me this web site is so big, it's hard to come up with an original idea. There is defiantly allot of good advice here.

Again very nice build.
:applause:
The only thing keeping anyone from being a genius is motivation- Albert Einstein
My build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=31105
WayneFromMo
Teardrop Master

Postby Coca Cola Teardrop » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:59 am

Looking good Tom

Hope to see you and Linda in a teardrop at the 2010 Beavers Bend gathering

Linda
Coca Cola Teardrop
Donating Member

Postby planovet » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:15 am

aggie79 wrote:On the weekend before LCG IV, I have my 30-year college class reunion. (Technically it has been 30 years since I was supposed to graduate. I was on the "extended" plan.)

I am class of 80. I graduated in Dec. of 80 so I barely made it. Of course, I was on the "REALLY extended" plan. I didn't leave College Station until 87 (and 3 additional degrees later) :lol:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:31 am

I wouldn't sweat the deadline thing...you are on TD time after all. I'd just keep on saving $$$, acquiring quality parts as you can, and cut yourself some slack...Your build is reflecting alot of thought and quality in its construction, and I know you are enjoying getting out and fussing with it when you can.

Besides what are us armchair quarterbacks going to have to do if all you Texans get your builds done!!!
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Juneaudave

Postby 2bits » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:00 pm

Yeah, I am learning there is alot that goes into completing just the shell, so if you're there with a tent that is cool because getting it done right is more important! Hope you're getting alot done today!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby planovet » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:04 pm

2bits wrote:Yeah, I am learning there is alot that goes into completing just the shell, so if you're there with a tent that is cool because getting it done right is more important! Hope you're getting alot done today!

Yep, the devil is in the details :lol:

Don't make the mistake I did and try and rush to a deadline. I got rushed and tired and made mistakes. Take your time and do it right the first time. :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby 2bits » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:44 pm

Soooo. did ys get out there and sweat it out today? My girlfriend and I went out with her daughter doin family type stuff, but I have "reserved" Sunday complete for teardrop time!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby aggie79 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:49 am

planovet wrote:Yep, the devil is in the details :lol:

Don't make the mistake I did and try and rush to a deadline. I got rushed and tired and made mistakes. Take your time and do it right the first time. :thumbsup:

Mark, Another story for another day, but I hurried my math on my frame and it cost me. I'm okay with tent camping at LCG IV if I can find an alligator-proof tent. :o

2bits wrote:Soooo. did ys get out there and sweat it out today? My girlfriend and I went out with her daughter doin family type stuff, but I have "reserved" Sunday complete for teardrop time!

Thomas, I had a long day Saturday for teardrop construction from mosquito raid to mosquito raid (7:00 am to 7:00 pm.) The roof framing over the cabin is getting close to being finished.

I hope your Sunday is productive. Stay hydrated! She doesn't ask too often, but I think my wife has plans for Sunday. I don't know if I'll be able to get out to the garage. Pictures will come later.

Tom

:thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby aggie79 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:28 am

:P :dancing :woohoo:

A productive weekend! Not picture worthy, but I took care of a bunch of miscellaneous, time-consuming things on the build "to do" list. But most important, I did finish my roof framing.

Since I am working by myself most of the time on my build, I constructed the roof framing so I could remove the assembly to apply the interior ceiling and finish. First up, I cut side plates out of 3/4" plywood to match the sidewall profile and depth of the spars (1 1/2".)

Next, I built and installed the framing for the Fantastic Fan roof vent. It is constructed from "double-up" poplar 1x2s.

Then I installed the rest of the 1x2 poplar roof spars. Along the tighter curves of the profile, the spacing was 8" on center. Everywhere else the spacing was 12" on center.

After fastening temporary strapping to keep the framing from racking, I removed the framing so I could install the interior 1/8" baltic birch plywood on my workbench.

And then applied the plywood with PL glue and fastened with staples.

Overall, a tiring but satisfying weekend!

Gig'em, Tom :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby planovet » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:30 am

Coming along nicely! :applause: :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals