The Urabus Scuttlebutt from PA *Update 10/11/2011 PAGE 23*

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:09 pm

I'll have to look around. The inside diameter of that bearing is 25.4mm. The bearings that come from Harbor Freight are 25mm. That .4mm difference is almost nothing, but its still not the same. I'm sure it would be fine for an emergency hub-swap but I dont know if I'd run it full time.
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:22 pm

Got my school work done for the week, so I took today to start making some underfloor storage. Its not the same as I had dreamed up before, but I think its gonna work just fine.

I took an 8' piece of 1x3 and an 8' piece of 1x6 and cut (4) 1'-6" long pieces from each board.

The 1x3 got screwed together to form the top part of the storage box that will screw directly to the underside of the plywood floor.

The 1x6's got screwed together and then a 1/2" plywood bottom was added. This box will be hinged and latched under the box made from 1x3's. Weatherstipping on the underside of the 1x3 box should keep everything dry (I hope).

Eventually I'll make another one that will open to the opposite side of the trailer. I'll post up some more pics of this one tomorrow.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:38 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:I'll have to look around. The inside diameter of that bearing is 25.4mm. The bearings that come from Harbor Freight are 25mm. That .4mm difference is almost nothing, but its still not the same. I'm sure it would be fine for an emergency hub-swap but I dont know if I'd run it full time.

You can order parts directly from Harbor Freight. I have ordered items several times. They can be slow, but you will get the right part.

If your trailer is the Model 94564 1,720 lb trailer, then call 1-800-444-3353 and tell them you want part #20.

Here's a link to the manual.

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manual ... /94564.pdf
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:23 pm

Hey Zach, Great build. And thanks, you gave me a better idea for a tongue box then the $79.99 metal HF one. Will be headin to lowes tomorrow to pick it up. I was planning something the same, a place for the battery and charger and a powercord for my air conditioner. Im still building but its got to be campable by the end of april for a party Im going to.
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:08 am

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:You can order parts directly from Harbor Freight. I have ordered items several times. They can be slow, but you will get the right part.

If your trailer is the Model 94564 1,720 lb trailer, then call 1-800-444-3353 and tell them you want part #20.

Thanks Cliff... I'll probably do that, just so I can swap the hub in case of a failure (assuming the failed bearing doesnt seize to the spline), and be able to leave that hub on. Fully interchangeable parts are always nice to have.

Deryk the Pirate wrote:Hey Zach, Great build. And thanks, you gave me a better idea for a tongue box then the $79.99 metal HF one. Will be headin to lowes tomorrow to pick it up. I was planning something the same, a place for the battery and charger and a powercord for my air conditioner. Im still building but its got to be campable by the end of april for a party Im going to.

Thanks Deryk! The box works out really well, but you need to supply some sort of latch for it. I just got the cheap draw latches at Lowes. I have plans to construct a tongue box that matches the trailer, but just dont have the time right now. Just checked out your Vardo build - looks great! You'll probably find that you will never actually be done building, but just being campable is a great feeling!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:38 am

Finished the underfloor storage after class today. The latches are not the most convenient, and it may not win any engineering awards, but it works. Well it at least works sitting still.

Fingers are crossed that it wont fall off driving down the road. :lol:

The part that hinges down is 5 1/2" deep, but including the upper part it is 8" deep inside.

I painted the outside with the black Rustoleum High Performance Enamel and laid down the the weatherstripping

Installing it was the hardest part, but its finished!

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:05 pm

Very clever, Zach, and with latches, you might even be able to add padlocks. Or, as an addition safety precaution (if you feel you need it), add a metal strap, anchored from the deck's underbelly to the outside edge of the chassis frame, where the strap might be padlocked in place. I have seen others where they make a drawer that slides under but yours, being hinged and latched, seems like it would be more secure.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:17 pm

[quote=Thanks Deryk! The box works out really well, but you need to supply some sort of latch for it. I just got the cheap draw latches at Lowes. I have plans to construct a tongue box that matches the trailer, but just dont have the time right now. Just checked out your Vardo build - looks great! You'll probably find that you will never actually be done building, but just being campable is a great feeling![/quote]

Thanks Zach... someone told me we arent building campers were building prototypes... and it makes sense since its always something new to add, and most of us are eager to start the next one lol
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:40 am

S. Heisley wrote:Very clever, Zach, and with latches, you might even be able to add padlocks. Or, as an addition safety precaution (if you feel you need it), add a metal strap, anchored from the deck's underbelly to the outside edge of the chassis frame, where the strap might be padlocked in place. I have seen others where they make a drawer that slides under but yours, being hinged and latched, seems like it would be more secure.

Thanks Sharon! I was planning on doing a slide drawer, but I didnt have the money to go buy all the hardware. Also, I take some trips that the roads get a little rough and wanted to keep the bottom of the box above the axle. The drawer would have needed to hang lower to avoid hitting the frame when opening. I hit a couple pretty good potholes this weekend and the latches held! So far so good!

Deryk the Pirate wrote:someone told me we arent building campers were building prototypes... and it makes sense since its always something new to add, and most of us are eager to start the next one lol

HAHA hadn't heard that before, but makes perfect sense!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Wed May 04, 2011 11:45 pm

Have you taken it for a test ride yet?
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu May 05, 2011 10:35 am

Yeah, I've actually been camping the past 3 weekends! The past 2 have been boondocking trips deep into the forest in Northern PA. I posted up a bunch of pics on Tearjerkers, but guess I forgot to post over here.

The road to the campsite is back about 6 miles of dirt forest service roads, which have been washed out in some spots so it was a little rough. Hit a couple pretty good bumps and the latches held great. Heres a couple pics from the trip....

And the Scuttlebutt can be seen a little in the background here...

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby grizz » Thu May 05, 2011 11:02 am

Always innovative and good to see your updates Zach.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Fri May 06, 2011 12:07 am

Good to see its holding up...and your gettin use of the trailer!
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby LDK » Fri May 06, 2011 6:38 am

Hey Zach

Thats a pretty clever storage box you came up with. Are you going to put one on the other side too? The HF trailer sets up kinda high so it shouldn't give you any trouble. Just looking at the scenery pics you posted makes me want to hurry up and get mine done. :lol:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun May 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks guys!

Larry, I was initially planning on making a box for each side, but when I installed this one, I found that I needed to move it in towards the center of the trailer so that the latches could clear the frame. I may still make another, but it will have to be a few inches smaller than this one.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals