HF trailer tires

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

HF trailer tires

Postby johnnyb1216 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:24 pm

just a quick question about the hf trailer tires. bought my trailer yesterday :applause: and after un packing i noticed the big sticker on the rims about 55mph limit :o . is this a tire thing? or bearing thing? can i get other tires to fit those rims that can handle a max65- 70 mph? or should i just ignore the sticker and drive hi-way speeds. ofr just take it ez? ( i hold no one liable for any experiences shared) just wondering, im not a speed demon just like to get to where im going. just asking about others experiences, advise not needed (again liability thing)
thanks, john
johnnyb1216
Teardrop Inspector

Re: HF trailer tires

Postby Martiangod » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:34 pm

Its a tire thing.
Cheap trailer tires are rated that low, good trailer tires are rated for 65.
For a light trailer I'd go with car tires

Another thing with trailer tires is no one warranties them very well, if at all.
And try to get road hazzard on the trailer tires Phffff!!!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby Aaron Coffee » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:27 pm

I would guess you are talking about 8 or 12 inch tires, if so you are pretty much limited to trailer tires, I switched the 8 inch tires and wheels on #2 out for 12 inch tires and wheels, that I bought at a hardware/supply store, I think they were marked as high-speed tires(which probably means 55-60). Haven't pulled #2 much yet, but on #1(avatar) I have 14" car tires and even with those I try (traffic permitting)to slow down 5-10 mph below the speed limit or less if the trailer doesn't seem to want to behave, (gets a little hoppy on some concrete roads).
Aaron
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby parnold » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:55 pm

I'm not recommending that anyone do what I do, but I have towed my HF trailer with original tires several thousand miles, and have run at sustained speeds of 75 mph. The warning labels are, in my humble opinion a liability thing. I also own a HF trailer from the late 70's, and have towed that with the little 8" tires many thousands of miles, and at similar speeds.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby johnnyb1216 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:20 pm

thanks for the replies. i have the hf 1750# with the 12" wheels. and i really just wanted to know what others do.
thanks, john
johnnyb1216
Teardrop Inspector

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:02 pm

parnold wrote:I'm not recommending that anyone do what I do, but I have towed my HF trailer with original tires several thousand miles, and have run at sustained speeds of 75 mph. The warning labels are, in my humble opinion a liability thing.

Yup. I'm with Paul. Done it too, but do so at your own risk. I think those max speed stickers are also somewhat based on a trailer that is loaded to max capacity, and are there to cover the ass of the manufacturer.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby petertl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:47 am

I am on my second set. I had the first set for about 5 years. Almost daily driven, mostly city. I use the trailer carrying tools and supplies, always loaded. On the highway I travel 65 to 70 mph, rarely above, no troubles to date. By saying that I will probably have a blowout today!
Peter
petertl
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:29 pm

I had one tire blow out on the highway, lucky for me the trailer was empty so no trouble. in fact the sidewalls were still on the beads so the wheel never hit the road, the tread peeled off at 70 or so. Of course I found the other tire was rather under inflated, which explains the blow out. these are the load star tires "12 that carry-on trailers come with, and they seem to be highway rated, at least I have never seen a speed restriction on them or the trailer.
I went to wallyworld to get the tire replaced, they told me their machine can't do 12" tires....good thing I already had a spare in the trailer.
I'm not that worried about 65+ speeds as long as the trailer is light, near the 2,000 lbsd the axel is rated for I would take it slower.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Re: HF trailer tires, highway speed

Postby Franco Novo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:06 pm

petertl wrote:I am on my second set. I had the first set for about 5 years. Almost daily driven, mostly city. I use the trailer carrying tools and supplies, always loaded. On the highway I travel 65 to 70 mph, rarely above, no troubles to date. By saying that I will probably have a blowout today!
Peter
:roll:

Ha ha ha....yes, the jinx. Got to beware of that.
I'm starting to think that the quality control of the china tires are probably hit or miss. Some folks get a lot of use out of the HF tires, others' blow on the first run.

My first long run with the HF folding trailer, 12" stock tires, ran from Pa. to Florida...over 1200 miles went without a hitch. Knock Wood.
Interstate speeds I averaged around 65 mph.
trailer loaded weight of approx. 1000 lbs. No problem.

I'm here, at the end of my run, arrived just 3 days ago... the tires look great. Hope that luck holds up :thumbsup:

best,
Franco

Franco Novo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby markhusbands » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:49 pm

I'e used mine at a sustained 65-70 all day long and it seemed fine.
markhusbands
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:01 am

70-80 mph, 700# TD +gear and 30# pressure. 4000 mile no problems.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Toytaco2 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:53 pm

Back in the late 1980's I bought an old pop-up tent trailer from an RV Dealer who had it sitting out in his back lot in the dirt for $250. I bet that beat up old trailer was at least 15 years old when I towed it home. I was really short on cash at that point in life so I repaired the canvas using a sewing awl, repacked the bearings and started camping. That was before I knew I was supposed to be concerned about things like tire size and speed ratings. That old pop-up had 12 inch tires and 4 lug wheels and I towed it at interstate highway speeds on a number of 2,000 mile round trip camp outs as well as a lot of closer to home trips with the tires that it had when I bought it. I'm not recommending anyone do that, but, it makes me wonder if we don't over think a lot of things.

I tow my "new" HF Heavy Duty frame with TD at about 65 to 70 with no problems. I did use new, high quality bearings and races instead of the stock HF units and I try to monitor any heat build up whenever I stop for gas, etc. and don't worry about the 55MPH maximum speed thing. If tire wear and condition are looking good and nothing is overheating, I feel good to go. Just my experience.
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby Jdw2717 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:10 pm

I have 6500 miles on my Northern Tool Loadstar 12" 4 lug tires with no problems yet. I usually run at the posted speed limits on the interstate but have been known to go a little higher when not paying attention. :oops: The trailer is around 850lbs loaded with gear and runs on 45lbs of air. When I rebuilt the trailer, I put all new hubs, seals and bearing sets on it that NT sells. I check for excessive heat and wear at every stop along the way. I also run with a spare wheel and tire and a complete hub set in the plastic case that NT sells.
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion