Vinyl top material

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Vinyl top material

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:49 pm

I am getting back to work on my build, the "Slowmobile". Has anyone used an exterior Vinyl as a roof material. My thought was to use some left over Epoxy I have as a sealer and glue on the Vinyl top material. It worked on cars for years. I found some fabric here http://www.glfi.com/vinylbook_tonneaupage.htm that has been used for tonneau tops. It is 78 " wide so no seams and is UV protected. There are also some Marine Vinyls that sound like they could work. Any thoughts?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Vinyl top material

Postby wingnut » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Actually the abhesive that is used for vinyl tops was a contact cement.
wingnut
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:15 pm

I use marine vinyl from Joann Fabrics. Its uv protected and withstands all temperatures. Even had to store the trailer outside two winters ago and it had 10" of snow on the roof.

Its regularly $16.99/yd but they always have sales and send me coupons for 40 or 50% off. They only carry 54" wide though.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:13 am

Hey Zach, what did you do under the vinyl as a sealer? Also did you use contact cement to adhere it as Wingnut suggested?
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Alleged User » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am

My brother used marine vinyl on his cabin car, and also on our td. He didn't use adhesive, as he wanted to allow for expansion and contraction in cold and heat. It's held in place by the trim. If we need to replace it at some point, it's a matter of popping some screws and sliding it out.

Love the way vinyl tops look. We got our vinyl on EBay.

Last edited by Alleged User on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:Hey Zach, what did you do under the vinyl as a sealer? Also did you use contact cement to adhere it as Wingnut suggested?

I didn't use anything. Its a convertible and the top snaps on and off. Underneath is just a screen.

Even with all the snow, the vinyl held up really well.

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:43 pm

Well that is reassuring!!!

TPCE will get canvas adhered over 1-1/2 inches of foam board backed by a thin ply ceiling. There will be a pair of double spars at the vent fan, and the cabinet frames and bulkhead will add additional spar like structure. Some folks were a little worried that it might sag if it gets caught in an early/late snow storm unexpcetedly. After seeing the Equis under that much snow I am reassured that all is not doom.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Thanks guys, I think I am going to try the Vinyl. Zach, I really like your setup with the convertible top. Must be nice waking up on a nice morning looking into the trees! Nice job.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:06 pm

I ended up using a marine vinyl over 2 coats of epoxy. Contact cement for bonding. It has worked out great so far. Good luck with your build.

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:10 am

Here is the link to the place I bought from. They have a store near me and I was able to go in a pick it up. They do have some material that goes up to 62" wide , so I did not have any seams.

http://www.duboisfabrics.com//aboutus.asp
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dguff » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:32 am

I am very happy with the vinyl I used on the roof of my homebuilt. It is called Brun Tuff, comes in several colors and is completely waterproof. I ordered it from a company called Your Auto Trim and I think its url is yourautotrim.com but I could be off on that. Anyway it is worth an internet search to see what they have.

Jerome
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Jiminsav » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:58 pm

the vinyl i put on my 3rd TD, which i got from your autotrim.com, has failed miserably after 3 years...and the luan i used is peeling apart..
the good news is the tires still look like new. :shock:
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:38 pm

Jiminsav wrote:the vinyl i put on my 3rd TD, which i got from your autotrim.com, has failed miserably after 3 years...and the luan i used is peeling apart..
the good news is the tires still look like new. :shock:

From upholstery experience. No fabric will be able to withstand the full elements of the outdoors forever. Only those convertible tops that have been kept in the garage out of the sunlight and away from the rain are the ones that endure. Ever notice that automobiles with vinyl tops needing to replaced? Canvas awing that fade and rip? And yes. . .even marine vinyl fails as well. Sure we have :cry: I made plenty of $> $$$ replacing automotive trim, convertible tops, marine seating and it's the same old story - Fabric just doesn't last for long outside unprotected. Manufactures will give you the Blah, Blah, Blah, about how resistant their product is and will even show you the warranty. Not being negative here, but if that is the look your're going after - then by all mean go for it. As for me, the only vinyl that I'll put on the exterior of a camper is sign vinyl - it's made to hold up to the elements.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:45 pm

I was just about to ask about how the trailer was stored, and how the vinyl failed.

My situation is a little different - as I can replace the vinyl roof fairly cheap and in only a couple hours. But I'm curious as to how long other trailers with "permanent" vinyl roofs hold up.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby satch » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:35 pm

The vinyl on my Hog is going strong after 5 yrs, she's stored outside, under a canopy. I know eventually I'll need to replace it, but so far, all's good.
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques