Needing Bearings and Seals for HF 1700lb. trailer.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Needing Bearings and Seals for HF 1700lb. trailer.

Postby Darren » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:14 pm

They are toast and have to be replaced. Just wondering where to find them. HF says they don't carry them. Advance auto can get the bearing but no seals.

The bearing shows - 30205A (The ones HF have are 30205 without the A, not sure if that matters.)
The seal shows - SDA 579 VB2 31 52 7

I found these part numbers on a Miata board. It was for a HF trailer also but it was the 870lb one. It appears to have the same bearing.
Bearings - Timken ISO 30205
Seal - National 473551 (Anyone know if that's the correct number?)

They also say to use this seal - Chicago Rawhide 11643

Any input? Please.
Darren
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby rainjer » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:27 pm

The seal shows - SDA 579 VB2 31 52 7

The last 3 sets of numbers is the seal size.

31 mm inside diameter.
52 mm outside diameter.
7 mm wide.

Try Applied Industrial Technologies. That is where I get them.
http://applied.findlocation.com/results.aspx

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby parnold » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:40 pm

The bearing is beck arnley part number 051 3809.

Fits Mazda B2600 pickup, front outer. Mazda part number 0259-33-047

The seal is C/R part number 12742 - National Seal # 223255

52 31 7 is the metric size of the seal. 52mm outer diameter, 31 mm inner diameter and 7mm deep.

I don't know anything about this website, but you should be able to get both bearings and seals through them.
http://www.abiindustries.com/Pages/products.html

Happy Hunting!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby steve smoot » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:49 pm

parnold, you are the man...that's some really helpful info...I have one of the HF trailers and will most likely be faced with the same thing someday.

thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

Steve
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby Darren » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:02 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. Everyone should have a backup set, IMO. I will from now on.

Darren
Darren

Postby parnold » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:04 pm

The walmart near me also sells sets. I'm not sure if they are the correct ones though.. one of these days I'll buy a set and find out.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby TwilightLane » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:44 pm

Darren - I bought mine at Red Trailer. Look up part #SJ8510-18B. I signed up for their email list and got a promo code good for $5.00 off my first order.

Look at page 7 of my build thread for details.
Rob & Lori
Aspen & Tundra
My Instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/Teardro ... l-Trailer/
TwilightLane
The 300 Club

Postby nevadatear » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:04 pm

My husband is a machinist and sells both seals and bearings (including VERY hard to find ones that even timken doesn't sell any more.) Here is what he says:

Go to your nearest napa auto store. Be sure and take the bearings and seals with you. They should be able to replace them with no problem. Be sure and insist on Timken bearings, they will be more expensive, but should last the life time of the trailer if treated correctly. Don't go with cheap bearings. The first thing I did when I built my trailer is change out the bearings that came with the axle.

The numbers you quote are not Timken numbers, so he is not sure how common they are, but then he sells mostly for agricultural machinery. Remember there are literally tens of thousands of different bearings and parts, so taking the bearing and seal with you is the key to getting the correct one.

As for the seals, the CR (Chicago Rawhide, or National (which is now owned by Timken) are fine.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dave A » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:32 pm

Also if you go to the parts store bring the bearing race with you also as there are different races that go with a bearing.

ex partsman Dave
Dave A
500 Club

Postby Darren » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:39 pm

Thanks again! I'll be taking the bearing, race, seal and my calipers as I go shopping. Bass Pro has replacement sets for trailers so I'm going to check them out tomorrow. If those won't fit I'll try Wall-Mart, Cabelas, and then NAPA.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Darren

Postby exminnesotaboy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:53 pm

Darren, I had this same issue. It seems that Harbor Freight has used several different hub sources(China, Russia, Etc...) for their parts. Sooooo, the parts breakdown in one instruction book may not be the same for every HF trailer. Also, I had two trailer shops try to get replacements with no luck.

I ended up going to a trailer shop and buying a new axle, hubs and a replacement set of bearings/seals at a cost of about $125. I was able to keep my old leaf springs and wheels. This got me bearing/seal combo that I can get at any wal-mart in the nation.
exminnesotaboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:57 pm

It looks like the bearing sets that Wall-Mart and Bass Pro sells are the same ones but with different packaging. They appear to have the right ID and OD on the bearings but they are a lot shorter in height. I think the seal is right. In an emergency you might be able to get those to work with some extra washers to make up the height difference. I would only try this in an emergency to get home. I didn't bother with Cabelas. NAPA tried really hard but couldn't come up with anything. He ordered several sets in and they were not even close. O Reilly is having the bearings shipped in tonight under the part number 30205A and the seals under Pauls part number 223255. Thanks again Paul! I'll report back tomorrow night with how that went.

If you have a HF trailer you really should get replacement bearings before you need them. It could save you having to leave your trailer on the side of the road.
Darren

Postby PanelDeland » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:08 pm

Look in your local yellow pages for a bearing distributor.I always used a co. called "Bearings Inc" in Tx.Thewy can match any bearing and seal.Usually of their shelves.Tell them what it's for a spend the couple extra dollars for the heavy duty ones.Any mid sized up city should have a bearing co.
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Postby Toytaco2 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:52 pm

Here's my own story on the HF bearing and seal situation. If you have an HF trailer and don't yet have spares, I recommend you find them now before you need them:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=30022&highlight=bearing+saga

Good Luck,

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby Nobody » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:54 pm

Darren - when I first built my TD in '06 I pulled the hubs, cleaned out all the questionable 'grease', repacked with good quality wheel bearing lube, & replaced the seals. It's been nearly 4yrs & over 10K miles through every kind of road & weather conditions & they're still running as cool as ever, no leaks or indication of failure. I pull & check 'em before every lengthy trip & 'feeling' the hubs has become an automatic thing each time we stop. Took the old seals to my son the NAPA dealer & he brought me 3 different sizes. Outer diameter 52mm, seal thickness 8mm but inner (axle/spindle? diameter he brought 31, 32, & 33mm. I couldn't get the 31 on the axle & the 33 was a loose fit so I used the 32mm. Also had him bring me a 'set' of bearings/races that I packed & re-wrapped in plastic film & a ziplok bag. These & extra seals stay in my tongue box. Fortunately I've never needed either :worship: . Any NAPA store should be able to get 'em for ya. As other posters have mentioned, HF apparently used mfgr's in different locations so parts may not all be the same. Any NAPA store should be able to get correct bearings with the # from your old bearing. Seals also but I'd sure check 'em before I needed 'em ;)

Here's pic of my original factory bearing, still in use

A spare seal (identical to seal in use)
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion